What's Your Most Recent Mb Purchase?

Blade Runner

Hi KJY, I think you got a pen with 134 cap and 144 barrel...

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KJY

• farmdogfan

• orfew

• da vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi KJY, I think you got a pen with 134 cap and 144 barrel...

Oh no, did I just bought a Frankenpen?! :yikes:

Hard lesson learnt. Don't buy something if I am not familiar with ... :huh:

The pen writes well, so I think I will keep it. (It also has a fresh cork in)

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

Hehe, how did your wife respond to this one? :lol:

I think a good guideline is that if the pen isn't flat on the bottom, and the cap is on the top, they don't belong together?

I'm not exactly educated on vintage MB's, so please correct me if I'm wrong! But on the models I know, this rule seems to apply...

Anyway, I'd just enjoy it and check Ebay from time to time, and maybe a separate cap will show up someday :)

Hehe, how did your wife respond to this one? :lol:

I think a good guideline is that if the pen isn't flat on the bottom, and the cap is on the top, they don't belong together?

I'm not exactly educated on vintage MB's, so please correct me if I'm wrong! But on the models I know, this rule seems to apply...

Anyway, I'd just enjoy it and check Ebay from time to time, and maybe a separate cap will show up someday :)

Hahaha...

I will just keep it just it is. It just functions good and the cap twist around the barrel without hesitation.

It will reminds me not buy without thinking twice!

Appelboom

KJY, I may be wrong, but it is possible that yours is not a Frankenpen. I have seen examples of transitional pens with 13x caps and 14x bodies.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

There are many lovely pens here but recently the 136 from Carlos and the green striated 142 from farmdogfan have really caught my eye. Fantastic pens!

I just received a Montblanc in today's mail. Not a new pen, but certainly an uncommon one. This pen is a mid 1990s 146 which Ariel Kullock has customized with a sterling silver overlay, with a solid 18k gold star and ring cap. I'm told he saw the pen in Chicago earlier this year and commented it was made about 15 years ago. The pen is not light in weight yet it is easy to write with, being nicely balanced in the hand. The etched geometric patterns are quite remarkable in person. The overlay is done in the style of a pattern found on rarer MB safeties from the 1920s. Not having one of those models with which to compare it, I do have a MB 25 safety pen and show it in the last photo below for size comparison.

fpn_1376328140__montblanc_146_ariel_kull

fpn_1376328166__montblanc_146_ariel_kull

fpn_1376328188__montblanc_146_ariel_kull

fpn_1376328213__montblanc_146_ariel_kull

From left to right:

• 1920s MB 25 safety pen with MB accommodation clip
  • 1990s MB 146 with Areil Kullock overlay in safety pen style
  • 1991 MB 146

fpn_1376328335__montblanc_146_ariel_kull

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

@dcpritch:

I love that safety pen and the Kullock. I've never seen the Kullock before, but I like what I see! :puddle:

There are many lovely pens here but recently the 136 from Carlos and the green striated 142 from farmdogfan have really caught my eye. Fantastic pens!

I just received a Montblanc in today's mail. Not a new pen, but certainly an uncommon one. This pen is a mid 1990s 146 which Ariel Kullock has customized with a sterling silver overlay, with a solid 18k gold star and ring cap. I'm told he saw the pen in Chicago earlier this year and commented it was made about 15 years ago. The pen is not light in weight yet it is easy to write with, being nicely balanced in the hand. The etched geometric patterns are quite remarkable in person. The overlay is done in the style of a pattern found on rarer MB safeties from the 1920s. Not having one of those models with which to compare it, I do have a MB 25 safety pen and show it in the last photo below for size comparison.

David, that Ariel Kullock's recreation is fantastic, it's got a vintage air about it, with a touch of Gaudi's fantastic organic forms, like the cells and that MB star which almost looks like a flower. Fantastic presentation too, with a MB safety pen to compare with -lucky man- and the Oyster Grey's ink, which fits the bill perfectly. Good taste !!!!

Edited by idazle

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

Is it still a fountain pen or already jewelery ?

regards

Usable art, the way I see it. But then to me, almost every fountain pen fits into that category, though this one is much farther to one side than many.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

@dcpritch - that looks to me like a very special and pretty unique pen.. I think silver is an excellent material and the design is great.

KJY, I may be wrong, but it is possible that yours is not a Frankenpen. I have seen examples of transitional pens with 13x caps and 14x bodies.

Let's hope so. If you can share a link to some of these pics you would make my day!

Appelboom

Let's hope so. If you can share a link to some of these pics you would make my day!

I am searching for evidence and will let you know if I find something. I know i have seen this transitional model i just do not know where (age is a wonderful thing). IN the meantime see the quote below. It offers not confirmation but a clue that your pen may be transitional.

A drastic change in design was made around 1950. First studies to develop a new Meisterstück design started in 1948. The complete line was streamlined, simple third series pens as well as the Masterpiece line. For some years, cylindrical 13x Masterpieces and streamlined 14x Masterpieces were sold simultaneously. All the models 14x were now being offered with three cap bands as well as many transitional versions of the 13x pens.

http://www.caprafico.com/en/pen-88/montblanc-masterpieces-303

Now this one is a transitional 144, but between the celluloid 50's models and the injected plastic modes. It tells me it is possible that a 13x to 14x transitional model is possible.

http://www.penboard.de/shop/searchdb?srchvaluedb=transitional+montblanc&db_seller=0

Of course if you really want an answer and not my useless speculation, contact Tom Westerich on penboard.de

Edited by orfew

I am searching for evidence and will let you know if I find something. I know i have seen this transitional model i just do not know where (age is a wonderful thing). IN the meantime see the quote below. It offers not confirmation but a clue that your pen may be transitional.

A drastic change in design was made around 1950. First studies to develop a new Meisterstück design started in 1948. The complete line was streamlined, simple third series pens as well as the Masterpiece line. For some years, cylindrical 13x Masterpieces and streamlined 14x Masterpieces were sold simultaneously. All the models 14x were now being offered with three cap bands as well as many transitional versions of the 13x pens.

http://www.caprafico.com/en/pen-88/montblanc-masterpieces-303

Now this one is a transitional 144, but between the celluloid 50's models and the injected plastic modes. It tells me it is possible that a 13x to 14x transitional model is possible.

http://www.penboard.de/shop/searchdb?srchvaluedb=transitional+montblanc&db_seller=0

Of course if you really want an answer and not my useless speculation, contact Tom Westerich on penboard.de

Thank you my friend for your reply and your work.

If you find any info I will gladly like to hear it.

Your "useless speculation" is highly appreciated.

I will just go home and say that I have bought a very rare transitional model and that I will keep it for a while. :blush:

Appelboom

I had the opportunity to try my grandfather's 142G from the 50's with a OBB nib a couple of days ago and I fell in love. Although it isn't a purchase ,I will inherit it the sad day he passes away because he saw how much I loved it. He was even thinking of selling it before he decided to put it in the inheritance.
Needless to say I hope I'll have to wait a long time before I get it. ( and that's the first/only time I want to wait a long time before getting my hands on a fp )

I had the opportunity to try my grandfather's 142G from the 50's with a OBB nib a couple of days ago and I fell in love. Although it isn't a purchase ,I will inherit it the sad day he passes away because he saw how much I loved it. He was even thinking of selling it before he decided to put it in the inheritance.

Needless to say I hope I'll have to wait a long time before I get it. ( and that's the first/only time I want to wait a long time before getting my hands on a fp )

Great story. Nice to know that the 142 will have several stories attached to it. I like to think this connection can be part of the fountain pen experience.

David, that Ariel Kullock's recreation is fantastic, it's got a vintage air about it, with a touch of Gaudi's fantastic organic forms, like the cells and that MB star which almost looks like a flower. Fantastic presentation too, with a MB safety pen to compare with -lucky man- and the Oyster Grey's ink, which fits the bill perfectly. Good taste !!!!

What a stunning "Ariel Kullock" creation, the etched pattern is simply breathtaking !

Congratulations !

Francis

What a great pleasure it is just to look at the images! Beautiful pens. My regards to them and their owners.