The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pelikan 140 Nib Crack

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:31

My Pelikan 140 was writing strangely today. It would write a sentence, then ink wouldn't flow, then it would flow OK, then stop again. This was with a full load of Caran d'Ache Amazon. I flushed the ink and unscrewed the nib and found that the clear plastic around the nib is cracked. Here's a photo:

Posted Image

Is this repairable? If so, who can do it?

This is a really nice, springy nib, and I'd really like to salvage it if possible.

Edited by jgrasty, 23 September 2010 - 02:32.

Regards,

Joey

http://flexiblenib.com

Sponsored Content

#2 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,974 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:20

You can get another collar. They can be salvaged from other 140's or procured from reputable nibmeisters. 140's are wonderful pens; I love mine. Please don't let it language; it will love you when fixed!

#3 piembi

piembi

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,865 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:14

Pelikan Germany has replaced cracked collars for me.

#4 1000km

1000km

Full-time writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:19

This is a common problem with vintage Pelikans. These aftermarket transparent plastic collars are particularly fragile. You'll need to find a replacement collar.

Edited by 1000km, 23 September 2010 - 12:20.

#5 mr goldfink

mr goldfink

Antique

• Away
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 16:16

This is a common problem with vintage Pelikans. These aftermarket transparent plastic collars are particularly fragile. You'll need to find a replacement collar.

I'm pretty sure the clear collars are original to the model 140 and, less commonly, model 400 pens. They are well known for their fragility and I surmise that they were then brought out of production quite early so you see fewer of them than the black. The clear collared nib units are more sought after by some of the die hard Pelikan collectors I know.

Click on the link below to check out my pen blog with loads of photos of Pelikans, UHUs and other rare treats...

http://mrgoldfink.blogspot.com/

#6 mr goldfink

mr goldfink

Antique

• Away
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 16:18

My Pelikan 140 was writing strangely today. It would write a sentence, then ink wouldn't flow, then it would flow OK, then stop again. This was with a full load of Caran d'Ache Amazon. I flushed the ink and unscrewed the nib and found that the clear plastic around the nib is cracked. Here's a photo:

Posted Image

This is a really nice, springy nib, and I'd really like to salvage it if possible.

I might have a few in my spares box...If you send me a PM I will check how many and if I can spare one for you.

Click on the link below to check out my pen blog with loads of photos of Pelikans, UHUs and other rare treats...

#7 Toolan

Toolan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 20:09

I might have a few in my spares box...If you send me a PM I will check how many and if I can spare one for you.

What a very nice gesture - mind you, it'll need some pretty powerful packaging to get from the UK to Dallas in
one piece!

Toolan

#8 1000km

1000km

Full-time writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 23:16

I'm pretty sure the clear collars are original to the model 140 and, less commonly, model 400 pens.

That would be interesting to know - I've owned 20+ 140s and 400s and they've all had the black ebonite collars.

#9 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,817 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 23:28

Mine has the same problem and is clear, and I'm too lazy to mail it to Hanover.
I got a beautiful semi-flex OB on it.

Some one was kind enough to send me a couple of the new black plastic collars. I do not have a nib block, so could not get it on by finger strength. I didn't want to break any thing, when I can send it to Pelikan and get it repaired for some € 5.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#10 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,977 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2010 - 23:38

So, are the black collars cheap and available, and the clear ones rare? I don't really care about the color; I just want the pen to write like it did before it cracked.

Regards,

Joey

#11 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,977 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2010 - 00:13

Posted Image

A very generous offer! By coincidence, the Dallas Pen Show is tomorrow; I'll see if I can find one there first.

Regards,

Joey

#12 mr goldfink

mr goldfink

Antique

• Away
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 21:31

I'm pretty sure the clear collars are original to the model 140 and, less commonly, model 400 pens.

That would be interesting to know - I've owned 20+ 140s and 400s and they've all had the black ebonite collars.

The majority of the collars are in black but you regularly get clear ones fitted to a 140, far less so with the 400. I believe the clear ones are also period correct and not later replacements. They were just more fragile so were quickly phased out.

The clear ones don't really command a greater price but they are coveted by cognoscenti. Its like finding something extra.

Sponsored Content

|