Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

I think that Q has given 007 at least 1.

Edited by Jbloodwo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

In the movie "Captain America: The First Avenger" there were some FPs. In one scene Tommy Lee Jones comments how many letters he has had to sign:

fpn_1394223018__tommylee1.jpg

In this shot you can see the pen's outline:

fpn_1394223165__tommylee2.jpg

So, here's a vidcap (which isn't the best) as well, fwiw (& I'll see if I can find a better way to cache it when I get the chance): http://j.mp/AgentCoulsonKnowsHisPens Elsewhere, it was mentioned that he wasn't being truthful when he said he couldn't afford the pens. Was that the intent? I think I missed that detail...

:)

Also, has anyone recognized the pen that Tony Stark was using (or over there)? Just curious.

Huh. Apparently imageshack doesn't do videos anymore... So the new cache for the Waterfield 44 is there: http://j.mp/AgentCoulsonKnowsPens

TV and real life.

Last night there was a NBC Dateline show that took place in Plumas country, northern California. They showed several times, the District Attorney for Plumas country, David Hollister, writing with a black FP. Just a couple quick glimpses but it may have been a Pelikan.

If I get bored enough, I'll go to his contact page and ask him. :P

[EDIT] I got bored enough. I'll report back it Attorney Hollister answers.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Has anyone seen the film, "The Thirteenth Floor" ? In the opening scene, a gentleman is writing a letter. In the film, you find out that the year is 1937, and he is in L.A., in a room at a high end hotel. The scene is is a close up of him writing the letter, using a dip pen and inkwell. Can anyone identify the pen, and detemine if it, and its accoutrements are "right for the time"? Sorry for the not so clear photos... They are the best snapshots I could get. (If you haven't seen the film, see it! You won't regret.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thirteenth_Floor

That looks rather like an older (appropriate to setting) Esterbrook feed, but I wouldn't swear to it. I agree with your recommendation of the film, too.

While it doesn't appear to match the pen, Esterbrook was my first thought too.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Has anyone seen the film, "The Thirteenth Floor" ? In the opening scene, a gentleman is writing a letter. In the film, you find out that the year is 1937, and he is in L.A., in a room at a high end hotel. The scene is is a close up of him writing the letter, using a dip pen and inkwell. Can anyone identify the pen, and detemine if it, and its accoutrements are "right for the time"? Sorry for the not so clear photos... They are the best snapshots I could get. (If you haven't seen the film, see it! You won't regret.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thirteenth_Floor

Looks like an Omas feed and nib to me.

I don't have any examples, but I'm always quirkily interested in the stereotypical scenes in movies where someone touches a fountain pen nib to their tongue before proceeding to write with it.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

What I find strange, is that in MOST movies, all fountain pens are POSTED.

Try and find a couple of scenes where it's not. Rare.

You think the older-generation guys know something we don't about posting?

:)

LH

I see dead fountain pens!

TV and real life.

Last night there was a NBC Dateline show that took place in Plumas country, northern California. They showed several times, the District Attorney for Plumas country, David Hollister, writing with a black FP. Just a couple quick glimpses but it may have been a Pelikan.

If I get bored enough, I'll go to his contact page and ask him. :P

[EDIT] I got bored enough. I'll report back it Attorney Hollister answers.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Hollister, David
6:44 PM (1 hour ago)
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif
You are correct. That is a good eye. It is a Pelikan. On most days I will end the day with blue ink on the majority of hands.

Thanks again,

David Hollister

District Attorney

Plumas County, California

I'd still like to know which Pel. It was all black, cap and barrel.

I'll shoot him a link to this thread, maybe he'll drop by and tell us. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• 3 weeks later...

In "Indiana Jones and the last Crusade" there's a scene where Sean Connery (Indie's Dad) sprays ink from his fountain pen in the eyes of a Nazi officer while they are inside a tank.

It's a lever filler. Any ideas ?

And another pen can be seen where young Indie rushes home with an Artifact to show his dad, and gets chastised. Sean Connery can be seen writing in his grail diary.

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

Movie: Shallow Hal - scene in office mid way through movie...

Montblanc 149 in modern desk stand with cap posted - looks huge

Montblanc modern ink well

Montblanc modern day timer / notebook?

Montblanc BP in hands of fellow behind desk

There could be more.

Inked

Sly used the Montegrappa Chaos pen in the Expendables. I just ordered one. Haha, wow, did I pass out or something? LOL

At the 30 minute mark of the season finale of Helix (SyFy channel) Sergio uses a Waterman Expert to write a list of kidnapped Inuit children.

fpn_1396279157__experta.jpg

I don'y know the exact model, as it has a rather thick gold band that my Expert II does not have.

fpn_1396279228__expertb.jpg

Seems like Sergio has a "death-grip".... ;)

Edited by carlos.q

Sly used the Montegrappa Chaos pen in the Expendables. I just ordered one. Haha, wow, did I pass out or something? LOL

:lticaptd:

Carlos, good catch and Excellent Capture. I know it's not an Expert Version 1 either. Wrong nib.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Guest Ray Cornett

:lticaptd:

Carlos, good catch and Excellent Capture. I know it's not an Expert Version 1 either. Wrong nib.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Stallone is also now their spokesman.

Guest Ray Cornett

I know this isn't a movie or tv but in the online class lessons I am taking for my Graphic design degree there are often fountain pens in close up still images used for filler in the website pages.

I looked quickly at all of the postings and believe that one of my favorite films has not been mentioned. A fountain pen appears throughout "The Hours."

• 2 weeks later...

The movie "Love Actually" (2003): Although the pen is not seen, the character played by Alan Rickman writes this note with a stub nib and a nice blue shading ink:

fpn_1397225188__grumpy.jpg

No doubt this type of note is best written with a nice fountain pen and not a Bic stic!!!

At the beginning of the movie Byzantium (2012) the main protagonist is journaling with a fountain pen. All you can clearly see is the tip of the nib; looks like a medium broad, possibly a stub. Later in the movie someone comments about her penmanship. I don't know if it is the actress' actual hand, but it is indeed beautiful. The movie was my inspiration for getting into fountain pens and practicing to improve my handwriting!