Fountain Pens In Movies And Tv

maus930

Carlos.q just mentioned that as a couple of posts up, but it was first posted here back in February I think, since it was a Superbowl ad.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• carlos.q

• Freddy

• Ink Stained Wretch

Carlos.q just mentioned that as a couple of posts up, but it was first posted here back in February I think, since it was a Superbowl ad.

Yup... Just goes to prove I'm not a football fan! ;)

Watched the last 20 minutes of the 1936 classic Mr. Deeds goes to town with Gary Cooper

where he is in the hearing room to see that if he is in his right mind to keep the $20 million

I noticed 4-6 Duofold desk sets on the desk around the room. I have been watching the

series Mission Impossible [All episodes in order on TV] and I seen a whole lot of desk sets

thru the series. In one episode during the 6th season Willie pulls out a Orange Parker Jotter

presses the button to signal Barney who is hiding in the crate that Willie just delieved.

[ A gaget pen WOW ] Watch any contemporary movie from the 1930's to 1970's and any

TV Series from the 1950's -1970's and give yourself 1 point when you see a pen. 2 points

name the pen brand and 10 points naming the pen model. I just saw the Ed Harris movie

The Way Back 2010 and in the opening segment the Russian Officer wants the prisoner

to sign the confession and places a fountain pen in front of him. My question is what is

the maker of the fountain pen in the movie ?[ Time frame 1939-40 Poland or Russia]

I wonder if a Laurel and Hardy film had a pen scene:

Ollie: Why are you taking so long?

Stan: Well I can't help it, the pen won't write!

Ollie: Give to me, do I have to do everything myself? Mm-mm-MMM!

Big backwards squirt into Ollie's eye

Ollie: Dohhhhh-ohhh-ohhhhh!!!!!!!!

/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

Based on the antics of Stan and Ollie trying to patch up a fishing boat in "Towed in a Hole", imagine the chaos the two of them could cause just in the simple act of filling up a fountain pen from an ink bottle. :D

Long reign the House of Belmont.

What about the blue ink used on Gatsby's invitation to Nick, any idea what that blue ink is? I like the color!

I don't quite remember the scene exactly, but I'm pretty sure that Gatsby wasn't shown actually writing out the invitation. If that's the case, I would bet that the invitation was just written out by the propmaster using a regular old BP or RB, or failing that probably printed on a laser printer or something. So that would make the color "blue", lol.

I'm building up a half-decent Flim Noir DVD collection and no matter how hard-boiled the P.I is, they always have a decent desk pen set in their office.

Edited by Vendome

Long reign the House of Belmont.

In the Military History Channel's series "The Wehrmacht" there is a chapter named "To the Bitter End" where the German General von Schwerin writes a letter to the American commander. He uses a flat top lever filled FP that looks a lot like some vintage Shaeffers I have seen.

I can't find any pictures of it, but there was a pen (I think it looked like an FP) seen in last nights (2nd October 2013) Holby City being used by one of the main characters. It looked to me like maybe a clear demonstrator pen - I'll try to find a cap or something of it.

• 1 month later...

In tonight's episode of NBC's "Revolution" ("Come blow your horn") the evil Dr. Horn tortures Aaron and writes up his notes with a FP with a shiny section.

Edited by carlos.q

In "How I Met Your Mother" two weeks ago, Barney pulled out a black FP to write in his "Bro Code" journal/diary.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

In tonight's episode of "Marvel Agents of SHIELD" agent Coulson identifies a lever fill FP as a "Waterfield 44, 14K gold nib with mother of pearl inlay".

Problem is, it appears this model of pen doesn't exist... :huh:

In tonight's episode of "Marvel Agents of SHIELD" agent Coulson identifies a lever fill FP as a "Waterfield 44, 14K gold nib with mother of pearl inlay".

I thought it was cool that Coulson liked pens, even if he couldn't afford them. :D I'll see if I can get a vidcap of the quick scene when I get a chance... :)

I thought it was cool that Coulson liked pens, even if he couldn't afford them. :D I'll see if I can get a vidcap of the quick scene when I get a chance... :)

I had as good a look at it as I could-- I suspect something vintage ('40s or '50s) but third tier, like a Majestic or an Eberhard-Faber. They tended to get by on their looks, and the contrasting disc on the end of the cap is something a lot of that sort of thing exhibited.

...and not only a pen in a show, but one that is commented one AND a plot point! Wheeee!!!

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I had as good a look at it as I could-- I suspect something vintage ('40s or '50s) but third tier, like a Majestic or an Eberhard-Faber. They tended to get by on their looks, and the contrasting disc on the end of the cap is something a lot of that sort of thing exhibited.

...and not only a pen in a show, but one that is commented one AND a plot point! Wheeee!!!

I was excited to see that scene! How disappointing though, that a "Waterfield 44" is so hard to find information about.

I was excited to see that scene! How disappointing though, that a "Waterfield 44" is so hard to find information about.

I believe it to be a non existing pen manufacturer and model... :(

And according to the plot it couldn't be anything else. Imagine agent Coulson saying something like: "You couldn't have a Montblanc on a professor's salary." :D