Soupin' Up the Walitys

Radionicist

I consider the Wality line the King of Bargain Pens. They are cheap, have good size and feel, and are reliable. Did I mention that they are cheap?

They also make excellent modification candidates. Here are two of my "enhanced" Walitys:

http://www.bright.net/~tony/wality.jpg

This is a 69L eyedropper. These come in two or three colors, I think, but none of them have Deco styling. :) So, I used a pair of paint markers to dress up this one.

http://www.bright.net/~tony/wality1.jpg

The other Wality I've modified is a piston filler. This one has a replacement nib:

http://www.bright.net/~tony/wality2.jpg

Yes, that is an Esterbrook nib unit, in this case, a 9048 Flexible Fine.

http://www.bright.net/~tony/wality3.jpg

This is an easy modification to complete. Simply remove the nib and feed from the stock pen, soak the section in some hot water to soften things up, and screw in your Esterbrook nib assembly. You can use a little orange shellac around the top of the nib unit threads, if you wish. I've found this assembly to be leak-free with out any sealant. The pen is a delightful writer, and the piston filler has ample capacity.

That's it! Have fun with your Walitys.

Tony

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Radionicist

• Maja

• Ray

• LapsangS

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, we do love our Wality's here on Fountain Pen Network :)

My good friend Lapsang LOVES his Wality Eyedropper. I'm sure he'll drop in here and add his comments ;)

Thanks for posting some of these really pretty pictures, and a big thanks to the nib-replacement technique. I don't own a Wality, but I'm sure it'll mean a lot to the people who do :lol:

regards, kissing

Guest Saints1976

It's all a matter of personal preference though. I had the same two Wality pens as shown in the OP's post. They were rubbish and I threw them in the bin along with 3 Dux pens I bought for £10 from someone on here, which, unfortunately, were also rubbish.

I was not impressed with the nib on my Wality, so I replaced it with a 2-tone 14K vintage Sheaffer's nib. Antonios has a Wality with an uber-flexy Waterman #7 Pink nib. I think there are a number of people out there who are replacing Wality nibs with various vintage nibs - especially Waterman #5s. With the clear-barrel eyedroppers and the ebonite feeds it's like using an old vintage eyedropper and being able to check ink level.

The ebonite feed Wality uses has a lot of proponents - a much more vintage quality to the way it wets. That said, there do seem to be some quality control issues with them, and a lot of people don't like them. Since I am into vintage, I have no problem with them - a pen just doesn't feel right if I don't have to tweak it some to get it to work right. ;)

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Walitys and Dux pens are definitely not "rubbish", IMHO. They are inexpensive but reliable everyday pens, not that all their nibs are perfect but then many people have had problems with even Parker's nibs QC

The main thing that I enjoy with these pens is their nice ink capacity when compared to normal cart/converter pens.

Guest Saints1976
Walitys and Dux pens are definitely not "rubbish", IMHO.

Unfortunately mine were. The two Wality pens leaked all over the place. It might have a huge ink capacity but that's no good at all if it's going to end up all over your clothes and papers :(

The Dux pens looked as if they had been assembled by a blind man with one arm. Quality control was totally non existant. Two of them were so badly assembled I didn't even bother to try them with ink, just flung them straight into the bin.

Thanks for the pictures, Radionicist----you did a neat job on the 69L! :D

I haven't tried Wality pens but I know there was one model that sort of reminded me of the Recife Crystal eyedropper filler, a much more expensive pen...and I was humming and hawing about getting one.

Hmm, I am intrigued by this whole Wality + vintage nib business. That is very nifty.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Hmm, I am intrigued by this whole Wality + vintage nib business. That is very nifty.

The vintage nib thing *is* fun. I've done this one with an Esterbrook unit, but you can also use a vintage nib with the Wality feed. It's ebonite, which makes it particularly well-suited to use with flex nibs.

I once used a Waterman Emblem Pen nib, a healthy #17 size, with the Wality 69L. It worked great! I wound up finding a nibless Emblem pen, so I reinserted the Wality nib after regrinding it to a right oblique.

I love my vintage pens and a few moderns, but theses Walitys write just as well as most and are nearly disposable.

Maja - thanks for the compliments on the 69L decoration. I liked the way it turned out, too.

Regards,

Tony

Yes, the Wality. Thank goodness that I was ::::that much::: away from my beautiful WHITE WOOL rug last night when I decided to sit down on the floor and write something with my Wality which at the time was filled with DARK GREEN ink. At first I noticed a small stain on my hand, then a larger one and, on the polished wood floor a very large stain. I am now not on speaking terms with this pen...