Pelikan - 4001 Royal Blue

Sandy1

I like this ink very much because it gives me the feel of the sea blue colours.

It has a very deep hue but doesn't get too complicated and shady... Very

consistent and reliable for constant usage.

Hello,

In a very few words, I feel you have portrayed the essentials of PRB. :thumbup:

And the very properties of consistency and reliability are essential for constant use over time.

Bye,

Sandy1

Indeed, succint is the way words should be... :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• piembi

• titrisol

• nicholasyeo

I don't have anything to compare it to other than 4001 Pelikan black and Shaeffer cartridges... I find that I like the variability of 4001 blue, but I find it to be a little scratchier (if that is a word) than either of the other two aforementioned inks.

I don't have anything to compare it to other than 4001 Pelikan black and Shaeffer cartridges... I find that I like the variability of 4001 blue, but I find it to be a little scratchier (if that is a word) than either of the other two aforementioned inks.

Hello,

I take your remark to mean that the ink does not have high lubrication.

I encourage you to look at other inks which are somewhat similar to PRB, but have greater lubrication.

Also, so that your choice of ink is not predetermined by your pen, you may consider having the nib adjusted or seeking a pen with a nib set-up to run very smoothly. Such queries are often posted on the Writing Instruments Forum. I suggest reviewing the relevant pinned topics there, and those in the Repair Forum.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

This ink is so very absent that the recipient must read what is written.

Oh, I very much like and approve of this observation. I've long held that written content should hold greater weight than presentation.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking blue!

"Who is John Galt?"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I guess what I meant by variability is that you can see shading in letters, but I will try a blue with more lubrication!

excellent review!

Thank-you!

Lots of great information here again, Sandy. Thanks!

On an unrelated note, how come it's Sandy1 and not Sandy? And how come you frequently sign "bye Sandy1" in your posts? I'm not saying you shouldn't, but am always left wondering since I have not seen others do that.

Bye,

Sam

:happyberet:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Lots of great information here again, Sandy. Thanks!

On an unrelated note, how come it's Sandy1 and not Sandy? And how come you frequently sign "bye Sandy1" in your posts? I'm not saying you shouldn't, but am always left wondering since I have not seen others do that.

Bye,

Sam

:happyberet:

Hi Sam,

You're welcome. I think the respondents added a lot of value to this Review!

So as not to derail the thread, I will respond to the off-topic person queries via PM.

TGIF,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

• 4 weeks later...

I initially disliked Pelikan Royal Blue because it came out of my fine-nibbed Chinese pens, medium-nibbed Lamy Safaris and Parkers as a very faint colour that quickly faded to a dull light blue.

It then occurred to me that perhaps this ink was meant to be used in the usually more free-flowing Pelikan nibs (strangely enough, I've never used this ink in a Pelikan pen!). I then inked an old Tropen with it and...truly enough, it was a world of difference. Definitely what I'll refer to as a "school blue" that looks pretty good...albeit in a rather boring way.

I initially disliked Pelikan Royal Blue because it came out of my fine-nibbed Chinese pens, medium-nibbed Lamy Safaris and Parkers as a very faint colour that quickly faded to a dull light blue.

It then occurred to me that perhaps this ink was meant to be used in the usually more free-flowing Pelikan nibs (strangely enough, I've never used this ink in a Pelikan pen!). I then inked an old Tropen with it and...truly enough, it was a world of difference. Definitely what I'll refer to as a "school blue" that looks pretty good...albeit in a rather boring way.

Hi,

Thank-you for sharing your experience.

You have touched on an important aspect of the Written Samples: to show a range of what an ink looks like when different paper and pens are used. And sometimes, as you have experienced, there can easily be a combination that is head and shoulders above expectations.

Bye,

S1

Ah, Sandy1 - your ink reviews are extensive, comprehensive, practically "exhaustive" and, most certainly - entertaining.

But I get the impression that you need to cap that open bottle, lift the blinds, open the window, and take in a little fresh air and sunshine:

- talk of mass-produced "billet doux" for multiple "beauxs"; could that be a faux pas, itself?

- smells of "sweet esters" (?) and "I need a coffee yawn"; a hippo-sized yawn seems "wider" to me...

- applications to "administravia" and "officialdom"; what about "administrative officials"?

- yes, a "bottle in a box" presentation and "grippy bits" on the cap are "academic", but thanks for the box/bottle dimensions, anyway;

- I have no idea who "kushbaby" is, but if you see her in the room right now, and she's telling you to open and review "one more" bottle of ink, I suggest that you go for a drive and re-fill your "prescriptions" asap;

- but this is what led me to believe that you need a vacation; please translate:

{=x*x=}~{=w*w=}~{:=V]|I|[V=:}~{=w*w=}~{=x*x=}

:vbg:

One thing is clear to me, though: you lead a colorful and imaginative life, and I wish that mine could be somewhere nearly as multi-facted and spontaneous!

Thanks so much for your colorful ink reviews - a few motivated me ro try certain inks that I wouldn't have considered, otherwise.

I look forward to more of your commentary, here! :clap1:

Regards,

David.

Edited by DavidHandmade

Ah, Sandy1 - your ink reviews are extensive, comprehensive, practically "exhaustive" and, most certainly - entertaining.

But ...

<snip>

{=x*x=}~{=w*w=}~{:=V]|I|[V=:}~{=w*w=}~{=x*x=}

:vbg:

One thing is clear to me, though: you lead a colorful and imaginative life, and I wish that mine could be somewhere nearly as multi-facted and spontaneous!

Thanks so much for your colorful ink reviews - a few motivated me ro try certain inks that I wouldn't have considered, otherwise.

I look forward to more of your commentary, here! :clap1:

Regards,

David.

Hello David,

It was so nice to hear from you! :)

While I appreciate your attentions, I must say that your impression of what I need to do strikes me as passing strange. Other than preparing the written samples and scans, the reviews are often hand written in fits & starts outdoors, in transit lounges and/or the well-lighted haunts of those who have little need for sleep.

The typos, oversights, and non-essential information you identify reveal the potential benefits from the ministrations of (at least) an editor and proof-reader; life-style coach and witch doctor being optional extras. I embrace that as heartfelt constructive criticism, for which I thank you. :thumbup:

I am glad you found this review to be of some use, and hope that any future reviews may encourage you to try an even greater range of inks.

Best Regards,

Sandy1

Hi,

Thank-you for sharing your experience.

You have touched on an important aspect of the Written Samples: to show a range of what an ink looks like when different paper and pens are used. And sometimes, as you have experienced, there can easily be a combination that is head and shoulders above expectations.

Bye,

S1

Before I forget, many thanks for your many ink reviews. They have become one of my go-to ink references. Your reviews have also encouraged me to experiment with different ink, paper and pen combinations, leading to many new-found ink "likes". In fact, I now find it difficult to fault any ink I have, with the exception of Pelikan Red (which I "salvaged" by turning it into a deep crimson by mixing with Parker Black).

Hope to see more of your entertaining reviews...they're always a joy to read during dull workdays!

I embrace that as heartfelt constructive criticism, for which I thank you.

Sandy1 - I have to apologize: Implications and/or allusions to any form of "criticism" were unintentional. I have no basis on which to "criticize" that which is not part of my personal experience.

I have all the respect for you and others here who make the effort to provide constructive and supportive information to the Board and All who navigate its depths.

I merely attempted to highlight the particular characteristics of your prose, and the interesting ways in which you observe your environment - whether from a transit lounge, or other venues that are conducive to generating your thoughtful perspective.

I look forward to more of your colorful ink reviews.

Thank you.

Regards,

David.

• 4 months later...

The color of PRB is the one that reminds of childhood. It was not Germany

only to use that ink for fountain pens. It is dry as it should be to suit

Pelikan nibs, at least I could say that. In m200 F nib it is wide enough

and not too much. In my vintage 140 with EF, perfect line, but might be

light for someone.

In fact, it is the color I imagine coming out of the pen. Some other inks

could not be dry enough. The only second ink I'd consider is black blue of

the same manufacturer. I guess the nibs are made with factory ink in mind.

Best regards all.

• 3 months later...

I LOVE this ink. So much so, that I have virtually stopped using all other inks, and have all my pens filled with this. A perfect go-to daily ink, so very well behaved in all but my absolute driest pens.

Alas, the institution in which I work has demanded a switch to nothing but black, waterproof ink for all records. So, I am off a-searching for a great waterproof blue (I can't give in completely now, can I?). I will miss my Pelikan RB....

Ken

I LOVE this ink. So much so, that I have virtually stopped using all other inks, and have all my pens filled with this. A perfect go-to daily ink, so very well behaved in all but my absolute driest pens.

Alas, the institution in which I work has demanded a switch to nothing but black, waterproof ink for all records. So, I am off a-searching for a great waterproof blue (I can't give in completely now, can I?). I will miss my Pelikan RB....

Ken

Hi Ken,

I think its terrible when someone mandates that inks with certain properties must be used. But its the usual thing with house rules: their house - their rules.

As you are in Canada, the stateside ban on Pelikan Blue-Black should not apply (unless its extended due to NAFTA). You may find that to be a tolerable change. LINK

Bye,

S1