"binderized"

GOB Bluth

I realize who Richard Binder is, but what would you consider a nib that has been "binderized"?

Is simply buying a pen from him giving a nib that status because he would have tested them? Do you have to have a stub or italic created by him? So many FS pens are "binderized". Just curious what we think that means.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handwriter

• Doc H

• nkk

• AltecGreen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I take it to mean he's done work on the nib. You can't get an accounting nib from Pelikan, and it certainly wouldn't be a Waverly nib if you could. And so, my bird has a Binderized nib on it.

If I might clarify:

A Binderized nib is one where Richard or myself has tuned the nib to write properly. This means making sure the tines are aligned, that there is a smooth pad for the writing surface, that all sharp edges corners have been smoothed out, that the flow has been adjusted to be slightly to the wet side in nature, 6/10 relative scale. In short, we make sure the nib will write properly. THIS INVOLVES NO CHANGING OF THE ACTUAL STYLE OF THE NIB. If it started as a fine it's still a fine ( or medium or broad etc.).

Actually changing the nib, Richard calls grinding. Italics, obliques, super xxxf needlepoints, condors, intellifines etc are all specific styles that Richard has developed. He also can FLEX many modern nibs (14k).There are various charges for any of this customization nib work of course.

A Binderized nib is FREE on any NEW pen you buy from Richard. Otherwise there is a charge for Binderizing a nib. Many vintage pens come in to be Binderized.

Note: EVERY PEN I Binderise is checked BY RICHARD personally to be sure it is to his rigorous standard.

Edited by framebaer

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

"Binderized" process assures that the pen writes to its true potential.

From Richard Binder's site:

Unless otherwise requested at the time of sale, we tune each new pen or nib at no extra charge before shipment. We fill the pen with Waterman Blue-Black ink and write with it on paper from the same fountain pen friendly pads we sell, adjusting as necessary to bring it up to the RichardsPens.com “factory” standard for smoothness and flow. Our clients have named this procedure “Binderizing.” The result is an adjusted nib, not a customized one.

Edited by Sunburst

I always thought that it described a fountain pen that had been squished flat by an over-filled binder. I guess I was wrong.

Everyman, I will go with thee

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

It is just the most bizarre fountain pen related myth.

Any meddling with a nib tip changes its crystal structure and shortens a nib life 3 to 5 times.

Some simple naive designed feeds, like those in Pelikan Souverän, actually have never worked properly so people desperate try to do something, so legend started ...

You will notice that disillusioned owners then soon try to get rid of those alternated pens for a fraction of their original price.

I can't figure out if you are a troll or just nuts.

"Any meddling with a nib tip changes its crystal structure and shortens a nib life 3 to 5 times."

Well, this is just no true at all. To begin with, grinding a piece of metal doesn't change its crystal structure. For instance, would you think that sharpening a knive would change the crystal structure of the steel and shortens its lifetime?

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

"glass is not exactly of crystal structure"

No, its is rather exactly the opposite: glass is an amorphous material, so its properties as a material have nothing to do with those of a metal.

"optical lenses are not allowed to grind at all"

Sure, and you can't even give them a quick blow with some metal object, cause you would break them, whereas nothing like that happens with a metal object. You just can't compare them.

I'm a user, baby.

Any meddling with a nib tip changes its crystal structure

Exactly! And when you put Noodler's Dark Matter into a pen with a Binderized nib, frightful things start happening to the fundamental laws of nature.

I hear that if the Deepwater Well had been Binderized, it never would have blown up.

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

My +3 Binderized Nib Of Scribbling gives me a significant bonus to Handwriting checks, and also increases my saving throws against rust.

"Technically, you can grind glass with glass powder or other metal or non metal or semiconductor powder (diamond powder) without breaking it."

Technically, you can grind metals, like the metal of a nib tip, with a variety of materials without changing its crystal structure, so your initial statement is utterly incorrect.

I'm a user, baby.

"Some metal and glass artifacts are left to mature for years after chemical and thermal process"

chemical and thermal processes that have nothing to do with grinding, so NO, your statement is NOT correct

I'm a user, baby.

Everyone knows, you are supposed to put milk in small bowls out on the back porch, so the Brownies will work through the night.

How ever if you put scotch in the milk...the house will look mess in the morning, but your fountain pen works ever so well. That's what happens when the Brownies go on a bender.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Any meddling with a nib tip changes its crystal structure and shortens a nib life 3 to 5 times.

Some simple naive designed feeds, like those in Pelikan Souverän, actually have never worked properly so people desperate try to do something, so legend started ...

You will notice that disillusioned owners then soon try to get rid of those alternated pens for a fraction of their original price.

I can't figure out if you are a troll or just nuts.

BOTH :rolleyes: :roflmho:

Unfortunately, "Just Black GT Ballpoint" is absolutely correct. By the same hypothesis, using a fountain pen on material produced by pressed cellulose pulp derived from wood will degrade their nib by up to 10 to 12 times faster than not using the nib at all. According to a 1963 ASTM (American Society for Testing of Materials) document produced for the writing instrument industry, people who use their pens on a regular basis, saw a higher than average degradation of the welded iridium nib-point, than those who either rarely used their pens or did not use their pens at all. As a result, industry spokesmen at that time recommended that "individuals just let their pens sit in a box."

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

Oh, thank you, one and all, for making my day! Love those nuttie trolls -- or is it trolling nuts?

Haven't laughed so hard in months.

Enjoy,

PS: None of this is meant to encourage Just GT Black Ballpoint -- but, then again, he doesn't seem to need much encouragement.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I'm....speechless...just, speechless.... :doh: Obviously, the chemical and physical properties of matter from some alternate universe is being discussed here, so I am all attention....

"And gentlemen in England, now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day."

My +3 Binderized Nib Of Scribbling gives me a significant bonus to Handwriting checks, and also increases my saving throws against rust.

It is a little known scientifically proven fact that hanging a binderized nib inside a henhouse will generate 3x the usual egg production.

Bruce in Ocala, FL