Dot Grid Guide Sheet For Spencerian Script

Enai

I've been trying to learn Spencerian, and I've been using the free guide sheets from IAMPETH which I appreciate. But I wanted quide lines which were less obtrusive. I thought that dots (ala Rhodia DotPad) instead of lines for the grid would be nice, so I made my own dotted guide sheets. One nice thing about unobtrusive dots is that you can print them out on nice paper and probably use them for letters. Also, if desired, one can easily draw lines using the dots as guides.

I am attaching pdf files of these letter-size guide sheets. Please feel free to use them. Each sheet has a pattern of dots such that the dots line up diagonally to give a 52-degree angle from the horizontal (for Spencerian script). The vertical spacing between dots is 1/8-inch, and the horizontal spacing is 3/8-inch. There is a 1-inch margin on the left, right, and bottom, and a 1.5-inch margin on top.

To print the guide sheets, choose letter size (8.5 x 11 in), and make sure your printer software does not shrink or zoom the file to fit the page.

The first attachment has extra-small dots:

grid_spencerian_v3_xs.pdf

The second attachment has slightly bigger dots:

grid_spencerian_v3.pdf

I'll probably make another guide with even smaller dots.

Also, if you would like to request a custom pattern for a guide sheet, I can probably make one for you. Just let me know, and I'll work on it as my time allows.

For those interested, I created the grid pattern using gnuplot, and embedded the resulting eps file in a short latex file to create the pdf.

Edited by Enai

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enai

• Feanor

• stevesurf

• terminal

:thumbup:

Thanks Enai!

You're welcome!

Thanks for this - your post comes at the perfect time for me as I bought some Gillott nibs just today :-)

Salman K.

:thumbup:

Have fun writing. I know I'm having a lot of fun practicing Spencerian penmanship using a dip pen. I never would have imagined in a million years that I would have fun doing so.

Can you tip it another 3 degrees for us roundhand fans? (thats 55, not 49)

Pelikan 120 : Lamy 2000 : Sheaffer PFM III : Parker DuoFold Jr : Hero 239 : Pilot Vanishing Point : Danitrio Cum Laude : Esterbrook LJ : Waterman's 12 and an unknown lever-filler : Lambert Drop-fill : Conway Stewart 388

MB Racing Green : Diamine Sapphire Blue , Registrar's : J. Herbin violet pensée , café des îles : Noodler's Baystate Blue : Waterman Purple, Florida Blue

Sure, I'll try to get to it tonight.

Oh, do you need a specific line height (vertical space between lines of dots)?

For those interested, I created the grid pattern using gnuplot, and embedded the resulting eps file in a short latex file to create the pdf..

Thanks, I actually was going to ask. I wonder whether I could embed gnuplot and latex into a Java applet to let people make their own custom grids...

Here are dotted guide sheets with a 55-degree slope. They have approximately a 1-inch margin all around. Vertical spacing between rows of dots is 1/8 inch.

Letter Portrait:

grid_55deg_v1_xs.pdf

Letter Landscape:

grid_55deg_lscape_v1_xs.pdf

For our metric friends, here are A4 sizes. Warning: I don't have A4 paper, so I did not actually print these out to check them, but I think it should work. Let me know if you see something wrong:

A4 Portrait:

grid_55deg_a4_v1_xs.pdf

A4 Landscape:

grid_55deg_a4_lscape_v1_xs.pdf

Please let me know if you want something tweaked, or if something doesn't look right.

Edited by Enai

Thanks, I actually was going to ask. I wonder whether I could embed gnuplot and latex into a Java applet to let people make their own custom grids...

I don't see why it shouldn't work. It would be nice if you could host something like that on a website.

Edited by Enai

Thanks! I will play with these awhile, check 'em out thoroughly.

Pelikan 120 : Lamy 2000 : Sheaffer PFM III : Parker DuoFold Jr : Hero 239 : Pilot Vanishing Point : Danitrio Cum Laude : Esterbrook LJ : Waterman's 12 and an unknown lever-filler : Lambert Drop-fill : Conway Stewart 388

MB Racing Green : Diamine Sapphire Blue , Registrar's : J. Herbin violet pensée , café des îles : Noodler's Baystate Blue : Waterman Purple, Florida Blue

Well, I haven't found a good way to do it in Java, but I got a basic grid written in PostScript, and converted to PDF. For anyone who can print postscript directly or convert to a format they can print (using Acrobat Distiller, for example), I included the postscript source where I included a number of easily configurable variables (angle, grid size x and y, dot size and color) right on top of the file. I'll work on a way to input and convert automatically when I have a chance.

ETA: Apparently these got dropped.

PostScript

PDF

Edited by Feanor

Well, I haven't found a good way to do it in Java, but I got a basic grid written in PostScript, and converted to PDF. For anyone who can print postscript directly or convert to a format they can print (using Acrobat Distiller, for example), I included the postscript source where I included a number of easily configurable variables (angle, grid size x and y, dot size and color) right on top of the file. I'll work on a way to input and convert automatically when I have a chance.

Where can I get this? I assume that its usefulness extends beyond Spencerian.

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><em class='bbc'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'> <br><b><i><a href="http://pen.guide" target="_blank">Check out THE PEN THAT TEACHES HANDWRITING </a></span></strong></em></span></a><br><br><br><a href="

target="_blank">Video of the SuperStyluScripTipTastic Pen in action

Hi,

Thanks for these useful grids. :clap1: I have a request, which is to make a version with bold dots so one can put it underneath paper and still see it. Thanks very much.

Karen

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/51/166782921_39063dcf65_t.jpg

Where can I get this? I assume that its usefulness extends beyond Spencerian.

PostScript

PDF

Sorry, I put links in but apparently somewhere along the posting effort they got un-linked and I didn't double-check after it was posted.

Hi,

Thanks for these useful grids. :clap1: I have a request, which is to make a version with bold dots so one can put it underneath paper and still see it. Thanks very much.

Karen

You're welcome. Here are bigger dots for the two angles:

52 degrees, letter size:

grid_52deg_v4_xl.pdf

55 degrees, letter size:

grid_55deg_v1_xl.pdf

Hi,

Karen

You're welcome. Here are bigger dots for the two angles:

52 degrees, letter size:

grid_52deg_v4_xl.pdf

55 degrees, letter size:

grid_55deg_v1_xl.pdf

Thanks! My printer is acting up so I can't print it at the moment. :crybaby:

Karen

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/51/166782921_39063dcf65_t.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Did these ever make it to A4 or A5 size? Anyone got a copy? The attachment links seem dead.

I don't know why the attachments don't work anymore. I'll try to put them somewhere else. I probably won't get to it till Tuesday, though.