Pilot Asa-gao

Sandy1

Please take a moment to adjust the brightness & contrast of your monitor to accurately depict this Gray Scale.

As the patches are neutral gray, their colour on your monitor should also be neutral gray.

Mac LINK LINK

Wintel PC LINK

Figure 1.

Gray Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/INK576-1.jpg

Figure 2.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20-%20asa-gao/INK823.jpg

Figure 3.

NIB-ism LINK

Depicts nib line-width and pens' relative wetness.

WRITTEN SAMPLES: Moby Dick

Row Height is 8mm.

Figure 4.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20-%20asa-gao/INK826.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20-%20asa-gao/INK827.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20-%20asa-gao/INK828.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Royal, 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20-%20asa-gao/INK829.jpg

Figure 8.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20-%20asa-gao/INK834.jpg

OTHER SAMPLES:

Figure 9.

'HAPPY!' on Glossy Card.

Smear/Dry Time on Glossy Paper.

Smear/Dry Time on HPJ1124.

Wet Tests on HPJ1124.

Wet Tests on Royal.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20-%20asa-gao/INK825.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION:

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Daily writer?

• Quite possible.

A go-to ink?

• Yes - when an animated yet solid cool colour is required.

USE:

Business:

• Being an animated yet solid colour, asa-gao should have a considerable span of use. However, it being animated, it may be seen by some as lacking gravitas.
  • It has enough zip for mark-up, editing, etc.
  • Does not suit error correction or grading of assignments.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• Quite possible.
  • Might be seen as too animated for a routine Blue, so it makes for a good 'key' colour.
  • It has very similar appearance across a range of writing papers, so that consistency may be useful / appealing.

Students:

• Possible.
  • Runs well on all sampled papers, and is quite robust.
  • (To compensate for the higher cost of this ink, simply stop driving your car everywhere - walk, long-board or bike - it will make this ink affordable; and Mother Earth will thank you.)

Personal:

• Absolutely.
  • If one uses Blue for personal correspondence, this is a must-have; and perhaps a go-to ink.
  • This is a multi-purpose ink: except for the most dire and grim topics, it can easily be used for a wide array of correspondence.
  • For pro forma business writing, a Blue-Black may be preferred. Billet doux are within reach, but barely.
  • This ink screams 'classy', which in itself is a bit rude. So sorry.
  • One could easily run any shaped nib with this ink. I prefer a mono-line or a 0.5mm Cursive Italic.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS:

Flow Rate:

• Very good.
  • More than willing.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not noticed - I was too busy writing!

Start-up:

• Immediate.

Lubrication:

• Very good.
  • The nib never skitters about - even on the slick Rhodia.
  • Provides enough feedback so one may keep the nib running on its sweet spot. (Very important for the XF hooded nib on the Parker 51.)

Nib Creeping:

• None.

Staining:

• None after 3 days.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely.

Bleed Through:

• None on papers used.

Show Through:

• None on papers used.
  • Both sides of the sheet may be used.

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Absent.

Smear/Dry Time:

• Glossy: 12 - 15 seconds.
  • HPJ1124: 15 - 20 seconds.

Water Resistance

• HPJ1124 & Royal, 25% rag:

-4- on the 4S Scale.

"All legible, can be easily read and/or have light staining from re-deposit of soluble ink.

Use as-is for work papers & internal use.

Adjustments to a scanner may drop-out the stain."

Smell:

• Without scent.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not noticed.

Archival*:

• Not claimed.

Clean Up:

• Quick and thorough with plain water.

Mixing:

• No stated limitation.
  • It's fine as it comes from the pot.
  • If you mix asa-gao, then happen to hear that little 'snick' from behind, it could be the safety being released.

* No FP ink is certified as 'archival' by a recognised standards organisation. e.g. ISO, ANSI.

THE LOOK:

Presence:

• This is not a shy or reserved ink.
  • Being a cool colour, it resides behind the plane of the page, but draws one in to read what's written.
  • It has a certain amount of charisma, which makes it good for material that may be re-read; over time, it will not bore the reader.

Saturation:

• Fairly high.

Shading:

• Imaginary.

Variance depending on pen+nib combos used:

• The change in density (light-dark) between writers is evident, and a bit more than expected.
  • While the density of the ink changes in accordance with the writer, the change of paper has much less of an influence than one might be expect.
  • So, once the writer is selected, The Look should be quite consistent across different writing papers. :thumbup:

High Resolution Scans:

• From 51 on HPJ1124 LINK
  • From 502 on Rhodia LINK
  • From Estie on G Lalo LINK
  • From Safari on Royal LINK

FIDELITY:

Is the name appropriate?

• No idea.

SIMILAR COLOURS:

• Readers, please chime in.

PAPERS:

Lovely papers:

• Crisp brilliant white paper.
  • Does well on natural papers.
  • Impressive on the Royal.

Trip-wire Papers:

• Can't think of any.

Tinted Papers:

• asa-gao could work well on a blue, a buff, but not an overly-yellow ivory or creme.

PrePrinted Paper:

• A good ink for forms: it performs well on lesser paper (pulp) and still has snap coming from an XF nib.
  • For grids, etc., it will not meld or interact with such rigid constructs; a good choice.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Not really.
  • It seems that asa-gao goes about its business, regardless of the paper.

OTHER THAN INK:

Presentation :

• 50ml bottle in a box.
  • No HazMat warnings.

Country of origin:

• Japan.

Container:

• An elliptical-base clear glass bottle, 80mm tall when capped.
  • The centred round opening is a modest 20mm in diameter.
  • Single tank, no filling aid. Tsk Tsk.
  • Impossible to draw ink when level is low. (So I bought 2nd & 3rd bottles.)
  • There is sediment collector 'dimple' in the base.
  • Heavy glass base gives stability.
  • There is a string around the base of the bottle's neck, which catches drips from the cap/neck.
    • Caution: When the first of the iroshizuku inks came to visit, my other inks were after me for similar attire. So, a bit of cotton string was OK, (no macrame involved), but I felt it necessary to hold the line there: Pashmina shawls just aren't going to happen - no matter how nicely they ask.

[*]The hard 'Bakelight' screw cap has adequate grippy bits, but is low-profile, 10mm, which may be difficult for some to grasp.[*]The cap is not child-proof.[*]The cap seal separates from the cap itself. *many_very_nasty_words* (!>_<!)

Box:

• 87x95x38mm
  • Well-coated & durable.
  • Label colour is close to the ink colour.
  • Bottom label has Pilot contact details.
  • Enclosed mini-pamphlet is in the Japanese language only.
  • Proportions make this unsuitable for stacking. (Tsk)

Eco-Green:

• OK.
  • All should be recyclable or benign.

Availability:

• Online vendors.
  • Some State-side B&M vendors at time of writing.
  • Apparently online only in ROW.
  • Readers: Please chime in.

ETC:

Majik:

• I don't see potential for Majik other than the writing experience and colour itself.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• I prefer a wetter writer that keeps the ink density high and dark. So either the 502 or the 330 on either the HPJ1124 or the Royal. (Not as if there was an obvious pick - which is a good thing!)

Yickity Yackity:

• This is not a simple Blue that can be taken for granted. Even at varying densities, asa-gao remains exquisite.
  • The writing experience, and ink's generosity while writing is something else. This ink wants to write and do it so very well.
  • Ah kushbaby, I imagine this is on your top shelf too.

{*:=xx=:*}~{*:=w=:*}~{*:=V|V=:*}~{*:=w=:*}~{*:=xx=:*}

MATERIEL USED:

To be relevant to most members, I make an effort to use papers, pens & nibs that are readily available.

For pens, I use those for which I paid $100 or less, new or used; and are 'factory stock' - not customised.

For the 'One Of The Ten' suite of inks, the same set of pens is used. LINK

A. Parker 51, Mark I + 14K XF nib.

B. Pelikan M200 + M200-series g-p steel XF nib.

C. Waterman England 502 + some-flex 14CT 2A nib.

D. Sheaffer 330 + inlaid steel M nib.

E. Esterbrook J + 9968 firm steel B nib.

F. Lamy Pink Safari + steel 1.1i nib.

For lines & labels:

• Pilot + steel XF with Montblanc Racing Green.

On these papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
  • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
  • Pulp.
  • Glossy paper.
  • Glossy card.

Images

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 96 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Scans were cropped and straightened; no other changes were made.

Densitometer Readings (FWTW)

Red 91

Grn 119

Blu 226

Lum 135

===============

-30-

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• fabrimedeiros

• Lava Fountain

• Nerdyhistorian

Many claim this to be close to Visconti Blue. Any comment on this?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I have both and they are close. Visconti blue is a bit darker and more saturated to my eye. Asa-gao somehow feels more 'playful' when the two are viewed side by side. I know, not helpful terminology, but that's the word that pops into my head. They're both on my favorites list.

Sorry, I don't have a decent scanner (yet - I'm working on it) so I can't post representative samples.

Hi,

The asa-gao is the first ink to be reviewed in the 'One of the Ten' group of Blue inks. The Visconti Blue is also an OOTT ink, so when the Review for VB is done, a separate post of comparisons will be made.

When complete, the intention is to have the OOTT inks reviewed in the same manner, and compared in the same manner to the maximum practical extent.

Hopefully the OOTT reviews and comparisons will assist practitioners in choosing their lynch-pin Blue/s, and avoid unintentional purchase of equivalent ink/s. (As was seen in the comparisons of the Cd'A Blue Sky to Cd'A Blue to Sheaffer Skrip Blue.)

Also, the OOTT results should give common ground for claims, rumour and scuttlebutt to be discussed.

Best Regards,

Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

To repeat the above, I too find that Visconti is a bit darker and more saturated.

Somewhat lighter and at the same time less saturated is Herbin's Éclat de Saphir.

All three are my top three blues

Mike :puddle:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I have both and they are close. Visconti blue is a bit darker and more saturated to my eye. Asa-gao somehow feels more 'playful' when the two are viewed side by side. I know, not helpful terminology, but that's the word that pops into my head. They're both on my favorites list.

Sorry, I don't have a decent scanner (yet - I'm working on it) so I can't post representative samples.

Hi,

Off-the-cuff, I would agree about the 'playful' aspect of a-g. I think I skirted-around it when I mentioned it might be light on gravitas - so says Ms Blue-Black.

(Never thought of it that way, but now there's another term for the ink comparison/description lexicon: the opposite of gravitas may be playfulness; a nice shading away from 'frivolous'.)

Thanks!

S1

Your Safari sure likes this ink. By the way, where do you do your grocery shopping? I can't find .22 LR hollow points in any of the grocery stores around here.

Great review!

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

Your Safari sure likes this ink. By the way, where do you do your grocery shopping? I can't find .22 LR hollow points in any of the grocery stores around here.

Great review!

Hi ,

Glad you like the Review.

Indeed, the Pink Safari with the 1.1i nib really loves to write. When I got it, it wasn't exactly love at first sight. But I decided it was worth working at a relationship to improve it, so now the 1.1i is a fave, and appears in quite a number of my Reviews.

At the tail-end of the OP, under Pens, is the snap of the usual suspects dragooned for the One Of The Ten exercise, so the Pink Safari may be seen there - it is vogue-ing: giving the profile, showing-off the tipping. Sheesh! Anything for attention!!

And OK, ammo isn't groceries, but it is a staple, like flour. Ditto for dog treats, which aren't on this list, but are on others.

:)

COMPARISONS COMPARISONS COMPARISONS

Noodler's Ottoman Azure: LINK

Edited by Sandy1

geez, this is a lovely ink! i'm torn between this and Visconti blue!

Hi,

Well, I hope you don't lose sleep over it. But if you can wait a bit, I will be posting a Review of the Visconti Blue as part of the 'One Of The Ten' series of Blue inks. I would like to proceed in an orderly fashion - I was distracted by the 2 new Diamine inks and (indirect) requests for comparisons, etc.

(And you know that in the end you will buy both.)

Bye,

S1

Hmmm. This ink might cure my dislike of bright blue inks (which is strange seeing as blue is my favorite color).

I probably just missed something somewhere, but what do you mean by "One of the Ten"?

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

Hmmm. This ink might cure my dislike of bright blue inks (which is strange seeing as blue is my favorite color).

I probably just missed something somewhere, but what do you mean by "One of the Ten"?

Hi,

I don't consider a-g to be really so very 'bright' - I think it is somewhat 'vibrant'. (On the top end we have the Baystate Blue - the only Blue that's really an Orange-Red in mufti.)

As I mentioned in an Aug 18 post:

"... When complete, the intention is to have the OOTT inks reviewed in the same manner, and compared in the same manner to the maximum practical extent.

Hopefully the OOTT reviews and comparisons will assist practitioners in choosing their lynch-pin Blue/s, and avoid unintentional purchase of equivalent ink/s. (As was seen in the comparisons of the Cd'A Blue Sky to Cd'A Blue to Sheaffer Skrip Blue.)

Also, the OOTT results should give common ground for claims, rumour and scuttlebutt to be discussed. "

So, that outlines the motivation; and by setting the scope to ten Blue inks, (no Blue-Black inks - I'll leave that to Member 'lapis'), I think there will be sufficient coverage to achieve the desired results. It's more than a day's work I should think: 9 more Reviews and 45 Comparisons.

I hope people will have the patience and courtesy to wait for things to unfold. Bribes haven't worked [yet].

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Sheaffer Skrip Blue (OOTT) LINK

Hi S1, :meow:

Wow you really nailed this AG one hard on the head.

Great Review, It's a truely wonderful ink/color, gorgeous.

I hoping :unsure: to have 3 bottles brought back from Japan with a few other colors shortly, & hopefully with a new Fountain as well, to say I am overly eager & looking forward to getting my hands on it & pen2paper asap is an understatement!!!

Oddly enough I've had a bottle of VB for a few months & have never used it, just stroked it with a toothpick & yes it is v lovely but I think a horse of a different color so to speak. Lovely.

Great Job Sandy, Love reading All your ink reviews as there is much work done on our behalf!

Thx Again on My Behalf! :happyberet:

Cheers,

LF

Hi S1, :meow:

Wow you really nailed this AG one hard on the head.

Great Review, It's a truely wonderful ink/color, gorgeous.

I hoping :unsure: to have 3 bottles brought back from Japan with a few other colors shortly, & hopefully with a new Fountain as well, to say I am overly eager & looking forward to getting my hands on it & pen2paper asap is an understatement!!!

Oddly enough I've had a bottle of VB for a few months & have never used it, just stroked it with a toothpick & yes it is v lovely but I think a horse of a different color so to speak. Lovely.

Great Job Sandy, Love reading All your ink reviews as there is much work done on our behalf!

Thx Again on My Behalf! :happyberet:

Cheers,

LF

Hi,

I'm glad you appreciate the Review.

And you simply must tell us about your experience with a-g when you've had a chance to spend some time with it.

I do find it passing strange that your bottle of VB has only been tickled with a toothpick. Perhaps you have an empty pen that could be used for VB? If so, please give it a go. At least then you'll have some experience with VB, so may relate to the planned Review.

Bye,

S1

Hi Sandy,

Yes I as soon as I get the AG hopefully in a month or so I plan to get it going.

As for the VB which I recieved with a Visconti I bought a month or two ago, put it away & forgot about it :| , yes unfortunately with all the new New Fountains & Inks I've been buying like a depraved writing fiend [which I am not, not even close] I've not been able to try or use them all.

I've been quite tickled with & I'm really enjoying my new Diamine Umber, Grey & Chocoalte Brown as well as a few others & just got a new shipment today along with my Rhodia Dot Pads in different sizes & I'm looking forward to those as well, so it will be some time, but will try & roll it out and get ink to paper.

Just a warning tho as I am not much of a person for doing reviews so if & when I do get back on my results they might be quite pedestrian or lacking in many areas, but hopefully something will come of it sooner than later.

Thx for that.

Cheers.

LF

S1, lovely color! Asa Gao, Diamine Sapphire, Visconti Blue, Baystate Blue, Noodler's Eel Blue are my Blue Top 5.

Please may I ask a question? From the above five blue inks is it the Noodlers Eel Blue that has the greenest tint? Would really like to buy this for the lubrication qualities but don't like blue inks that lean towards green. The other four blue inks seem like truer blues, would you agree?