Namiki Yukari Royal Urushi

Painterspal

This pen keeps calling to me. What I can't decide is which finish I prefer. One day it's the black version I'm fancying, the next I'm eying up the vermilion alternative.

It would be great to have one of these Namikis to keep my Nakaya and Danitrio pens company, and the vermilion pen would probably look more striking amongst them in my pen case. That said, unless I find a bargain the choice is probably academic. However, out of curiosity, which one do you prefer? Comments from owners or anyone who has seen both would be particularly welcome and if you can post any pictures that would be fantastic!!

(edited a typo)

Edited by Painterspal

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Painterspal

• Classics

• rhk

• Namo

This pen keeps calling to me. What I can't decide is which finish I prefer. One day it's the black version I'm fancying, the next I'm eying up the vermilion alternative.

It would be great to have one of these Namikis to keep my Nakaya and Danitrio pens company, and the vermilion pen would probably look more striking amongst them in my pen case. That said, unless I find a bargain the choice is probably academic. However, out of curiosity, which one do you prefer? Comments from owners or anyone who has seen both would be particularly welcome and if you can post any pictures that would be fantastic!!

(edited a typo)

I had seen the red one in a specialized shop in Brescia (Italy). I don't have enough words to describe that beauty.

I have seen the black one only in Internet (nibs.com has wonderful photographs both for the black and red pens).

In my opinion the red one is definitely better even though I don't like the feed in red -- it sounds a little "forced".

Please, when you will have the luck to have one of these beauties in your hand, remind to post me your overall opinion.

Yours

Cesare

Edited by czar

Cesare

P.S> I am not in Fountain Pen Business.

In case I had specific interest posting/giving any information

I will take care to indicate clearly it

Have you seen the Edison Urushi Pearl? THAT is a great tsungaru nuri pen! It's a different style urushi, for me, it is the one I favor most.

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

I like the vermillion. Beautiful.

"I'm not superstitious -- I'm just a little stitious." Michael G. Scott

I have the vermillion and love it.

Color / Nib / Shape / Style A+

Edited by Classics

"Churn the Butter"

I have the black one, see below. From left to rightSailor King of Pens, Danitrio Takumi, Namiki Yukari Royale Urushi, Nakaya portable writer, all in black urushi. The Namiki is a great pen with a great nib. It feels somewhat heavier because it is brass and not ebonite. Ruud

http://www.rhkoning.com/penpics/varia/four%20black%20urushi%20open1_600.jpg

I would go for the vermilion, but that is down to personal taste. I have a bandless vermilion Emperor and it is gorgeous. The important thing is that you will get a fantastic pen no matter what the color is

Nikolaos

I have the black one, see below. From left to rightSailor King of Pens, Danitrio Takumi, Namiki Yukari Royale Urushi, Nakaya portable writer, all in black urushi. The Namiki is a great pen with a great nib. It feels somewhat heavier because it is brass and not ebonite. Ruud

Thanks for the excellent photo - really useful for getting a sense of Yukari Royal's size compared to pens I already know. It looks a great size for me and what a beauty it is!

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I've been leaning towards the vermilion as I think it will be very striking and more obviously different to my other pens, which are mainly aka tame-nuri or kuro tame-nuri. But seeing this picture....

It's obviously a substantially heavier pen than the ebonite urushi designs of similar size - is that much of an issue when you're actually using the pen?

This is a tough choice. I was in the same boat but never did decide ... I got them both :thumbup:

I tend to favor the black, but only slightly. I think this is because of the very subtle gold ring

at the base of the cap, which I think looks nicer with black than with red (vermilion).

In the Emperor model, for example, I prefer the black model with the two rings on the cap but the

vermilion with no rings ... but that's a different thread :)

Whatever it is, I'm against it!

-Grouch Marx as Prof. Quincy Adams Wagstaff

Personally, I would hold out for an Emperor.

As for the colour, I think the black will look good when it's new and shiny. After some use, the finish may dull and it won't look quite so nice. The red will hold up better IMHO.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

I have long admired the silhouette/shape of the nib on the Namiki Royal Urushi. That it does not flare out as much as the nibs on most other pens (see the comparative photo, for instance) I think helps give it a subtle distinction. :happyberet:

Chibimie

I believe you will love the fit and finish on this pen. The brass makes it have some heft with a great coat of Urushi finish.

The size is very close to a MB 149.

"Churn the Butter"

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the black Namiki Yukari Royal because I already had a number of urushi pens in different colours- red Negoro Nuri, Aka Tamenuri and a red Tsugaru-nuri based on the Aurora Talentum. Black would have seemed like a nice variation. Having bought the Namiki, I get to appreciate its black minimalist appearance more and more. With the black, the pen is sheer 'form and function' of the highest order. I could not fault the pen in any way. So I suppose the choice of colour all comes down to individual preference.

Prefer the black as it is a classic. Based on about three years or so of ownership the finish remains as great looking as it was when new. Chose the vermillion if you want something with more color and visibility. Hard to go wrong either way.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't resist any longer! :cloud9:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/minkapics/Fountain%20pens/Namiki-Yukari-Urushi_MF04704.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/minkapics/Fountain%20pens/Namiki-Yukari-Urushi_MF04718.jpg

Alongside one of my Danitrio Denshos

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/minkapics/Fountain%20pens/Namiki-Yukari-Urushi_Danitrio-Densho_MF04715.jpg

Wonderful pen, one of my favorite ones. :clap1:

Perfect equilibrium in hand, great size, top level finish, very pure looking.

The only negative point for me: the rigid nib

• 3 months later...