5 replies to this topic

#1 booble

booble

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:03

This is my first ever post here. I haven't even introduced myself yet although I've been reading for a while. So much knowledge!

Please be gentle! :notworthy1:

I have just been given this pen which, although quite lovely on the outside, appears to need quite a bit of internal help. (some of the photos are a little over-exposed to show detail)

It's a Mentmore ink-lock with a swan 2 14ct Mabie Todd nib. I love the nib, which when dipped, was a pleasant surprise and wrote beautifully for a moment, however the ink feed (?) is missing. In fact I almost think the nib section doesn't go with the pen as it is quite stiff to screw in but perhaps that's just how it is?

The sac is intact (I was hoping as I opened up the pen that this would be all that needed attention) but there is a piece of the filling mechanism loose and I have no idea if there is anything else missing.

My questions are: Is it worth (and if possible a rough guess at) the cost of repair? (I am on a tight budget) Or should I sell it on as it is. I can't find any information about this pen or it's possible value.
And also if possible could you point me at someone in the UK who could perform the necessary surgery?

Many thanks in advance.
Barbara

Pen1.jpg
Pen6.jpg
Pen2.jpg
Pen3.jpg
Pen4.jpg
Pen5.jpg

#2 777

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:00

Learn to repair it yourself! I just learned a few days ago how to repair pens and it's not hard at all!

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

Posted Image

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

#3 Tommy

Tommy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:00

It looks like it's all there. Not sure about the groove down the middle of the feed, but it doesn't look like anything is missing. If the sac is good, I would put it back together and see if it fills and writes. It's a button filler. Pull out or knock out the button first. Re-assemble the section in the barrel. Slide the pressure bar in the hole, flat part first. Finally, push the button back in the hole, covering the end of the pressure bar. It should fill with one press of the button.

#4 booble

booble

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 16:09

Thank you for your replies. :thumbup:

777 I'd love to repair it myself. I just need to know how!

Tommy I'll have a go at your suggestions.

Does anyone know anything about this particular pen?

#5 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 17:10

That is an unusual looking feed, not to my knowledge a Mentmore one. I can and do repair these pens and as you point out , could probably supply and fit a more suitable section for it.
Drop me a PM , you can see on the left where I am from.
Eric
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)
http://eckiethump.webs.com/
http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

#6 booble

booble

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 17:54

Thank you Eric. PM sent.