• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carlc

• RMN

• aliikizkaya

• RK48

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No - Waterman pens require Waterman cartridges.

Aurora are only comaptible with Parker.

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

From my understanding, Waterman fountain pens should take any International cartridge, such as Pelikan, Montblanc, Levenger, Private Reserve, Levenger, etc.

From my understanding, Waterman fountain pens should take any International cartridge, such as Pelikan, Montblanc, Levenger, Private Reserve, Levenger, etc.

This has been a debate over the last couple of years.

Some say that is true - others say that actually there is a slight difference in the nipple size and there is the potential of damage. The other issue is that certain Watermans (such as the Carene) have a brass liner and long internationals will not fit in the barrel.

Have a look around - somewhere there is a long, long thread about this (I think it was last year but the new board settings have deleted my 'internal' bookmark).

Regards,

Carl

Some say that is true - others say that actually there is a slight difference in the nipple size and there is the potential of damage. The other issue is that certain Watermans (such as the Carene) have a brass liner and long internationals will not fit in the barrel.

I have a Carene (black/gold) here in my hand, and I have just tossed out the generic Intl. short cartridge that I had in it as it ran out of ink this morning, and replaced it with a generic long intl. cartridge that they happened to have in the supermarket down the street from the hotel.

If it's not supposed to fit in the barrel, then please ssssh don't tell my Carene, as it seems to be blissfully unaware that it should reject it.

I have seen some weird "double-nibbed" (it appeared as-if they had the "lib" in both ends) long international cartridges, which -- due to that "lib" -- were a couple of mm too long to fit in an Exception. I took a cutter to the lib and they worked great.

I have a Carene (black/gold) here in my hand, and I have just tossed out the generic Intl. short cartridge that I had in it as it ran out of ink this morning, and replaced it with a generic long intl. cartridge that they happened to have in the supermarket down the street from the hotel.

If it's not supposed to fit in the barrel, then please ssssh don't tell my Carene, as it seems to be blissfully unaware that it should reject it.

I have seen some weird "double-nibbed" (it appeared as-if they had the "lib" in both ends) long international cartridges, which -- due to that "lib" -- were a couple of mm too long to fit in an Exception. I took a cutter to the lib and they worked great.

Oh well - must have remembered the thread wrongly - it's around here somewhere...

ETA: Here are two of them anyway here and here there is another one somewhere with macro shots of cartridge and feed nipples - IIRC it got quite heated but ended up with one FPNer absolutely insistent there was the possibility of damage due to size differences and the other saying they'd used them for years with no trouble. Anyone find it?

Edited by carlc

I use other companies' short international cartridges in Watermans all the time - Herbin, Diamine, Private Reserve. Have not had a problem yet. In fact the thing that appears to have gummed up my Hemishpere after many Herbin cartridges is a Waterman one!

Colour is its own reward - N. Finn

Sam Fiorell of Pendemonium Vintage Writing Collectibles says:

"Recent Watermans (starting around 2004) have a brass sleeve inserted into the barrel that prevents some international cartridges from fitting properly."

Full text:

Standard International Cartridges

Standard International Cartridges fit many, many fountain pens! Below is a list, but it is by no means conclusive and there are certain exceptions as noted below. Most, but not all European pens will use standard international cartridges.

Standard short international cartridges measure 1.5inches (39mm) in length. Outer dimension of nipple width is 4mm, the inner width is 3mm. The diameter of the closed end of cartridge is 7mm. You may find slightly different tolerances among the different brands, but all are VERY close to these dimensions.

Many fountain pens that use standard short international cartridges will allow you to "piggyback" two cartridges in the barrel. This means you insert one cartridge into the nib/feed unit to use. The second cartridge is inserted nipple end down into the barrel so that the two flat closed ends of the cartridges flush up next to each other. Now you have a spare cartridge!

Acme

Ancora

Bexley

Bosserrt & Erhard

Caran d'Ache

Cartier

Colibri

Conklin

Conway Stewart

DaniTrio

Daniel Hechter

David Oscarson

Delta

Dunhill

Elysee

Faber Castell

Inoxcrom

Itoya

Jean Pierre Lepine

Jorg Hysek

Kaweco

Krone

Lalex

Libelle

Lominchay

Marlen

Michel Perchin

Montblanc (International cartridges will fit *most* MB pens, there are a few, that will use only Montblanc cartridges which have just a slightly different profile)

Montegrappa

Monteverde

Nettuno

Northpointe

OMAS

Osmiroid

Pelikan

Recife

Reform

Retro 51

Rotring

Schmidt

Schneider

Sensa

Sheaffer - Reacktor FP (the ONLY Sheaffer that does NOT use Sheaffer cartridges!)

Signum

S.T. Dupont

Stipula

Stypen

Taccia

Tombow

Underwood

Visconti

Waterford

Waterman (Recent Watermans (starting around 2004) have a brass sleeve inserted into the barrel that prevents some international cartridges from fitting properly)

Yard o Led

Proprietary Cartridges

These companies make pens that will ONLY take their cartridges, no others will fit, they are proprietary cartridges. Once in awhile, people get in a pinch and try to SHOVE a different cartridge into one of these pens. It might work, but be forewarned, you're just asking for a leaky cartridge, or even possible damage to your pen.

AT Cross

Lamy

Pilot/Namiki

Platinum

Sailor

Sheaffer (except Reacktor which uses Std Short International size)

Sheaffer Slim Cartridge II (
Specs
:
Length
: 64.5mm;
Insertion end
: 3.85mm;
Barrel end
: 6.5mm)

Other Cartridge Information

Aurora uses Aurora OR Parker cartridges

Fultz uses Parker OR Aurora cartridges

Parker uses Parker OR Aurora cartridges

Nakaya uses Platinum cartridges

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

Sam Fiorell of Pendemonium Vintage Writing Collectibles says:

"Recent Watermans (starting around 2004) have a brass sleeve inserted into the barrel that prevents some international cartridges from fitting properly."

Full text:

Standard International Cartridges

Standard International Cartridges fit many, many fountain pens! Below is a list, but it is by no means conclusive and there are certain exceptions as noted below. Most, but not all European pens will use standard international cartridges.

Standard short international cartridges measure 1.5inches (39mm) in length. Outer dimension of nipple width is 4mm, the inner width is 3mm. The diameter of the closed end of cartridge is 7mm. You may find slightly different tolerances among the different brands, but all are VERY close to these dimensions.

Many fountain pens that use standard short international cartridges will allow you to "piggyback" two cartridges in the barrel. This means you insert one cartridge into the nib/feed unit to use. The second cartridge is inserted nipple end down into the barrel so that the two flat closed ends of the cartridges flush up next to each other. Now you have a spare cartridge!

S.T. Dupont

For ST Dupont the Ellipsis, Fidelio, Olympio/Orpheo series, Caprice, D-Link, Neo-Classique and the Defi use standard international cartridges.

The Classique, Gatsby (standard or large), Lady and Montparnasse (standard or large) use a cartridge based on the Parker nipple standard and so can use Parker long or short, ST Dupont or Aurora cartridges and converters.

• 2 years later...

Personally I do not like to use cartridges but still have a collection of unpacked cartridges

that came free with pens from Cos. like Sailor, Sheaffer, Montblanc,Platinum,Lamy, Pilot etc.

A few months ago I bought a Waterman Carene FP in BD finish & incidentally it came without

a cartridge and the convertor that came with it was leaking ink from the nipple end. I live in

a place in India where Ball Points rule & even a bottle of ink is hard to find-what to say of

a Specific cartridge, Waterman in this case.

I took an empty Mont Blanc cartridge that came with the MB Starwalker, injected it with ink &

pressed it in the Nib unit of Carene. What a relief! They seem to have been made for each other.

BTW, my favorite MB Starwalker is living happily with a Faber-Castell convertor. Hassle Free.

There is a similar creed with older S.T. Dupont accepting Parker cartridges. It is possible to put a Paker cartridge inside a S.T. Dupont pen, but the flow will be horrible. If you look closely at a S.T. Dupont cartridge, the "cork" is not parallel to the cartridge's base, but oblique. Why ? Because the piercer inside the nipple is flat. So if you have a Parker cartridge, with a flat "cork", and apply it on a flat piercer, well, it won't work well.

Don't try to mix too much cartridges, sometimes it will fit in, but you could get flow interruptions, or worse, soaking inside the barrel.

Converters don't convey such limitations, you just need compatible nipple forms.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

Some Watermans will take other brands of standard cartridges.

The Phileas will not; it is the one with the brass insert that is unfortunately sized with an inner diameter barely large enough to fit Waterman brand cartridges. The nipple end is irrelevant when the back end won't fit into the barrel; I can state from personal experience that Montblanc and Pelikan shorts will not fit in a Phileas.

• 2 years later...

Does the Waterman Large cartridge have a large base or is it in line with the rest of the body? Cause I intend to buy one so.......

It is all one diameter...apart from where it necks down to enter the section.

The bottom of the Waterman cartridge is slightly narrower than the short international cartridge. That will mean SOME Waterman pens will accept the short intnernationals, and others will not. If they do, do not try to ride a spare cartridge piggy back, as you probably will not get it out any more.... or with great difficulties.

Waterman pens are usually very nice pens, although the modern nibs are fairly rigid, which not everybody likes.

By the way, the other brand pens that take the short standard international usually also accept the long Waterman cartridges.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The bottom of the Waterman cartridge is slightly narrower than the short international cartridge. That will mean SOME Waterman pens will accept the short intnernationals, and others will not. If they do, do not try to ride a spare cartridge piggy back, as you probably will not get it out any more.... or with great difficulties.

Waterman pens are usually very nice pens, although the modern nibs are fairly rigid, which not everybody likes.

By the way, the other brand pens that take the short standard international usually also accept the long Waterman cartridges.

D.ick

It is all one diameter...apart from where it necks down to enter the section.

THanks

Hi community,

as I'm a long time fountain pen user and recently came across of this very interesting forum and decided to get myself into.

Up to my knowledge Pelican and Monteverde Cartridges fit in the Waterman Le Man 100.

One picture says usually more than a thousand words...here's a picture of some cartridges and hopefully it will contribute to Your discussion.

The Nb: 9 in the picture is a Waterman big size cartridge, which will fit the Le Man 100.

Forgive me, I didn't remember where it was copied from...

Yours Bob

from Vienna - Austria

post-120277-0-77222500-1424011434_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

And pic tells the reality Waterman Expert II with original Waterman's international C/C. But C/C nipple junction point is broken.

IMG_3893_aa.jpg

Looks like you need a new converter. These plastics don't have eternal life, especially if they get changed from pen to pen often.

I would try and get a converter that looks similar to the one you have. Alas the newer Waterman converters (without the metal ring at the connection side) are not as good as these. They are oten very difficult to place properly at first.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~