The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Moore's Non-leakable Safety Pen Repair

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ohtoulouz

ohtoulouz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 18:44

Hi,

I will soon receive a Moore's non-leakable safety pen (my first Moore) and would try to check if the seal is good or not (probably not, of course). I am used to repairing safety pens and I have seen photos of Moore's non-leakable parts: it is obviously not like other safeties that I am used to, Waterman's for instance. Well, it seems quite simple but each old pen deserves the right to be disassembled properly! So, all advices on the steps to follow to disassemble such a pen properly will be helpful.

Many thanks,

Pierre.

Sponsored Content

#2 rsilver000

rsilver000

Old car guy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 19:15

This is one of the easiest safety pens to repair. The bottom unscrews and the plunger shaft is exposed. The nib and feed push out the top. Before you replace the seal, look at it. The last two I had were in good condition and just needed a soak in water to swell the cork. Both good more than 1 year later.
Cheers.
Rob

#3 ohtoulouz

ohtoulouz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 20:11

This is one of the easiest safety pens to repair. The bottom unscrews and the plunger shaft is exposed. The nib and feed push out the top. Before you replace the seal, look at it. The last two I had were in good condition and just needed a soak in water to swell the cork. Both good more than 1 year later.
Cheers.
Rob

Hi Rob!

Thank you for this quick reply! When I looked at the photos of the parts, it seemed that there was a threaded washer to keep the cork in place: I was afraid that it was a bit tricky to unscrew but, of course, it has to be removed only if the cork has to be replaced: I will follow your advice to soak the cork in water first and check whether it is ink-tight or not.

Thanks again,

Pierre

Sponsored Content

|