78 replies to this topic

#1 Ernest

Ernest

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:14

Someone just remark that Sailor's ink has a unpleasant and odd smell.
That got me thinking. Well , I opened a few of my ink and took a few whiff .
Has anyone tried this?
Be careful . I felt a little dizzy after the test. Not sure who's the culprit.
The worst smelling was my Noddler's Tienanmen Red Ink....Strong ammonia smell.
The Sailors , Platinum are equally horrible.
Lamy , Caran d'Ache , Montblanc , Omas...no discernible smell.

Care to share your experience?

#2 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 13:05

Hi,

After a suggestion from a fellow-FPNer, I have been including the smell of inks that I review in my observations.
The intent is to provide a quick, but not too reliable/quantifiable, means of detecting ink spoilage & contamination.
The smell 'test' is also useful to distinguish between an ink that has spoiled and/or is contaminated and ink that has simply decayed (over time).

Best Regards,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#3 Bluecloud

Bluecloud

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 13:26

I just got an old bottle of Quink Black and mmmmmmmmmmm I still love the smell of that ink! It's something special about it.

#4 Lorna Reed

Lorna Reed

Voluntary Verger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2010 - 13:40

The horrible smell of the blue black ink we had to use at school in the 50s has put me off smelling ink for life! :(
Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
Philippians 4.8

#5 pakmanpony

pakmanpony

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2010 - 13:42

Other than scented inks, most of the inks I have put to the sniff test don't have a very apealing smell!

#6 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 13:58

Lorna Reed wrote:

"The horrible smell of the blue black ink we had to use at school in the 50s has put me off smelling ink for life!"

Oh, yes. I attended public school in the U.S. In the late '50's we used a blue-black ink that was provided by the school. The teacher would fill our little desk inkwells from a huge bottle she kept in a closet. On days when she filled our inkwells, the room was filled with "that ink smell," presumably the phenols. Some of the kids liked the smell. I remember only feeling sick on my stomach. To this day, if I smell that smell I feel sick.

#7 stevlight

stevlight

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 14:01

I LOVE the smell of Namiki Black ink.
My Newest book all drawn with a Pelikan M1000 "Zephyr Takes Flight"
Posted Image
www.stevelightart.com

#8 Ernest

Ernest

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 14:05

My Iroshizuku ink from Pilot has no smell.
The Namiki Black.. I do not like.

#9 stevlight

stevlight

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 14:15

The Namiki Black.. I do not like.

I like the smell of my Ebonite pens also!
My Newest book all drawn with a Pelikan M1000 "Zephyr Takes Flight"
Posted Image
www.stevelightart.com

#10 reprieve

reprieve

And how does the sun even fit in the sky?

• Member - Gold

• 2,937 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 14:24

I don't much care for the smell of Noodler's bulletproof or eternal inks--which I think have a strong, head-ache-inducing odor of sharpie markers.

Most of my other inks smell wonderful. Also, I love the smell of ebonite and celluloid. For me, those smells are a bit like the distinct odor of photographic darkroom chemicals... smells like happiness. Posted Image

#11 wheezur

wheezur

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 14:57

I love the smell of ink in the morning. Smells like victory.

#12 Chris

Chris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2010 - 15:14

Ah yes, I remember both the lovely smell of old Quink (though I did not like the ink) and the weird pong of the school blue-black-greenish ink that, I seem to recall, was made by adding water to powder before pouring into those little white china inkwells we had in the desks.

Chris

#13 ailleurs

ailleurs

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 15:33

I had to stop using Baystate Blue for a while because I was getting headaches every time I refilled my pen with it. Can't describe the smell, other than strong. :hmm1:
read, write, grade essays, repeat

#14 inkyindi

inkyindi

Liquid word conductor

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 15:57

Noodlers Purple Wampum has a slightly sweet smell.

#15 adichew

adichew

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2010 - 16:26

Pelikan Brilliant Black smells fresh and slightly sweet. I dont know why...

Inks from developing countries such as China and Vietnam all have a certain smell that I cant really identify. I dont really like that smell.

Adi
Adi W. Chew

#16 dmmcf

dmmcf

Anachronism

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 20:32

I find the odor of Sailor inks quite strong, to where keeps me from using them much. Some other people don't seem to notice it at all.

The handful of Noodler's inks I have all seem to smell faintly like citrus (or pizza crust, but that's another thread).

Most other modern inks I don't really smell. Unless I spill them. *cough*

#17 wednesday_mac

wednesday_mac

In Elrond's Library

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 20:53

Someone gifted me some violet-scented Herbin ink. It gives me a headache when I try to use it, which tells me it contains perfume oil and not essential oil. Phew!

Mont Blanc's rose-scented ink doesn't give me a headache. ::purr::

Edited by wednesday_mac, 16 July 2010 - 20:54.

Is there life before death?

#18 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,760 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 21:29

de Atramentis Pinot Noir really does smell like red wine (very bad wine)!
Nice ink, too :)
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. Don Marquis US humorist (1878 - 1937)

#19 phr4nkr4wk5

phr4nkr4wk5

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2010 - 21:34

I like the smell of Pilot/Namiki bottled inks. Their bottled blue-black smells like blood to me o_o and their black has a "inky" smell that just smells good to me for whatever reason o_0
my cheap (inexpensive) pen collection: Dollar 717i Demonstrator x2, fake Hero 616, Lamy Safari EF, Manuscript Dodec, Platinum Preppy F x6, Reform 1745, Sheaffer Calligraphy Pen

I am nerdier than 21% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to take the Nerd Test, get nerdy images and jokes, and talk on the nerd forum!

#20 sallywally

sallywally

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 23:28

I think the smell of Sailor brown in has infected my Bexley Magnum Dragon. Is that a possibility? How can I get the smell out? I can hardly use the pen any more. :bawl:
Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF
Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF
Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF
Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF
Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP
Bexley Dragon XXF
Posted Image

#21 Ernest

Ernest

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 00:54

I think the smell of Sailor brown in has infected my Bexley Magnum Dragon. Is that a possibility? How can I get the smell out? I can hardly use the pen any more. :bawl:

Yup! I have the same issue.
But, I love the Sailor's ink. The reddish black is one of my favorite.

#22 drmom777

drmom777

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:07

Old Parker 51s still smell of what must be Superchrome ink. It is a very distinctive aroma.

#23 karinh

karinh

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:03

All of the special types of Noodlers and some of the normal ones stink so bad to me that I get a migraine. It doesn't smell like pizza crust to me, that's for sure. Thank goodness, or I'd never eat pizza again.

Sailor smells like chemicals but not as bad and not to the point of giving me a headache unless I write multiple pages with it.
Old Waterman with phenol is so bad I don't even open the bottle and it took me several warm soapy washes to remove the smell from the pen (a Safari with converter).
Some of the Herbin inks have a slight but pleasant aroma. I have 2 scented MB and 1 De Atramentis that I don't mind in small doses.
Diamine barely smell if at all and most of my other inks of various brands hardly have a smell.

If I had any way of doing so, I would be trying to sniff all the inks I buy pre-purchase because there's no point in buying stuff I can't use and it's really disappointing too. Somewhere down the track I think I'll have to have an ink sale and get rid of the stinkers instead of them sitting here gathering dust.
"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

#24 MrBlue

MrBlue

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:14

All of the special types of Noodlers and some of the normal ones stink so bad to me that I get a migraine.

I recently purchased Noodlers Bad Blue Heron for my new TWSBI. It has a noticeable odor. My wife, a former elementary school teacher, smelled it and exclaimed, "ooh, it smells like Sharpies!" Sure enough, that's the scent. That happens to be one of my wife's favorite smells (she also LOVES the smell of Crayons).

#25 Pengrump

Pengrump

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:18

I still have one bottle of old Waterman ink with phenol. One whiff of that and my brain goes into spasms. Of course, once I sniff at it, I can't stop. The only ink brand with a really distinctive smell that puts me off is Private Reserve. Nearly all their inks smell slightly sweetish to me with a chemical background smell, sort of like rotting fruit in preservative. I once had a bottle of DeAtramentis burgundy ink. It smelled like wine that had gone bad. The only other scented ink I had was a Herbin Bleu Pervenche that I didn't know was scented when I got it on sale. It was headache-inducing, so I gave it to someone who liked and wasn't bothered by it.

Besides the phenol smell of old Waterman inks, the smell I consider most typical of ink is the smell of Quink from the 1950s through the 1970s. I like that smell. Always did and always will. Though I don't care for the ink that much.

#26 Viseguy

Viseguy

NYC

• Member - Gold

• 1,767 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:36

The worst smelling was my Noddler's Tienanmen Red Ink....Strong ammonia smell.
Care to share your experience?

In my experience, an ammonia smell means that an ink has gone bad. It's usually a precursor to yucky floaties that you don't want inside of your fountain pen. I'd chuck it.

Some people insist, "But you can still use it with a dip pen." I say, "Come on. Yuck. Chuck it!" Is what I say.

By the way, Noodler's manufactured after mid-2005, when they upgraded the biocide, are much less susceptible to yucky floaties. In fact, I don't think I've had a single yucky floaty since then. FYI.

Viseguy

#27 Soot

Soot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:59

The handful of Noodler's inks I have all seem to smell faintly like citrus (or pizza crust, but that's another thread).

I'd like some ink with a hint of pizza crust smell, I wouldn't mind that. LOL~
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

#28 sombrueil

sombrueil

sad, but true

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:19

I just checked:

Diamine -- faint chemical with sick vegetal undertone. not pleasant
Waterman -- even fainter chemical, no rotting veg aura. not pleasant but nearly unnoticeable
Pelikan -- also faint, but has a sort of business-like aroma, vaguely reminiscent of typewriter ribbons. For those who remember that smell.
Aurora -- smells like old water. rather nice.
J.Herbin (not specifically 'scented') -- Lie de The, pleasantly herbal; Rouge Opera, perfumey/fruity; Violet Pensee, violet pastilles.

#29 untrueparadox

untrueparadox

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:16

Inks from developing countries such as China and Vietnam all have a certain smell that I cant really identify. I dont really like that smell.

+1 on this one. however, the newer batches of chinese ink like Hero and Oriental are much much better. My blue black Hero from the late 90's smells extremely strong whereas the black I got last year was hardly detectable.

#30 JohnM

JohnM

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:21

I didn't know until now that it's phenol that accounts for the unique smell of my old bottle of Waterman South Sea Blue.

I actually like the smell. But I just read about it in Wikipedia and it looks like a pretty nasty substance. Hate to throw out the ink -- suggestions?

John