Is it worth selling your used, non-vintage pens?

DilettanteG

Hi Sonia Simone --

I have three Namiki Falcons -- one SF Black, one SF Blue, and a SB Burgundy. They're all in the regular rotation, with matching inks and if they this pen came in more colors I'd own those too. Do you use your modified Falcon for Spenserian? Any chance of seeing some writing samples? Maybe I should simply send one of mine in to Mottishaw, and get a cursive italic on the M805, as it would be much cheaper.

It's awfully hard to save money for my dream pen with all the NOS Sheaffers on ebay at the moment. Perhaps I should just shoot for the Pelikan as an X-mas gift to myself? Maybe I should just stop surfing ebay and the sales board everyday? No, that's just crazy talk ;)

-Kate, who can resist anything but temptation.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• ConnallMac

• JimStrutton

• OldGriz

-Kate, who can resist anything but temptation.

Now this might be just too much Kate, but here goes anyway, you are way to far hooked on FPs to be saved, don't worry you are amongst friends :ltcapd:

But have you been to Mr Binder's Emporium of desire yet?

Richards Pens

If you are in to getting a custom nib, this might prove to be just too much for you :roflmho:

No connection but RB has a good reputation and shares his words of wisdom here quite frequently. Not to say he is better that anybody else, we have others around these parts like Dillon who has a great reputation. But this site tells you more than you ever need to know about a custom nib choice and if you fill out Richard's questionaire, he can even tell you which one would be right for you :eureka: How magic is that :bunny1:

Jim

PS You need a "51" trust me B)

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

You, my friend, are a bad influence. ;)

The first thing I saw on RB's site was the new Pelikan Grand Palace. I've been thinking of trying the 600 series, and I do love brown patterned pens. (My Bexley Scheherazade Tortoise is one of my favorites.) As if there wasn't enough temptation in my way, making saving for the M805 custom oh so difficult. Curses!

Yes, I do 'need' a 51. The Svengali like Ruaidhri has already lured me over to the dark side.

You, my friend, are a bad influence. ;)

The first thing I saw on RB's site was the new Pelikan Grand Palace. I've been thinking of trying the 600 series, and I do love brown patterned pens. (My Bexley Scheherazade Tortoise is one of my favorites.) As if there wasn't enough temptation in my way, making saving for the M805 custom oh so difficult. Curses!

Yes, I do 'need' a 51. The Svengali like Ruaidhri has already lured me over to the dark side.

AHHHH, and the best part of buying that Pelikan Grand Palace from Richard is that he will modify the nib on the spot so there is no long waiting period to get a custom nib.... :drool: :drool:

He is just SOOOOOOOOO wonderful that way.. really looking out for the best interests of his customers....

You do realize that just like Lay's Potato Chips, when it comes to Parker 51s you can't have just one.

:bunny1: :drool: :bunny1: :drool: :bunny1:

Richards Pens

If you are in to getting a custom nib, this might prove to be just too much for you :roflmho:

No connection but RB has a good reputation and shares his words of wisdom here quite frequently. Not to say he is better that anybody else, we have others around these parts like Dillon who has a great reputation. But this site tells you more than you ever need to know about a custom nib choice and if you fill out Richard's questionaire, he can even tell you which one would be right for you :eureka: How magic is that :bunny1:

Jim

Jim,

Where on Richard's site could I find that questionairre?

--J. Haney

Kate, I could use the Falcon for Spencerian if I didn't write like a chimpanzee on hard drugs. Mine is actually not modified for quite that much flex, but it could be. Do it, you'll love how the Falcon feels with the modified nib!

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Looks like I'm about to do a face plant on the slippery slope of Pen collecting.

To get by hook or Crook:

1. Broad Italic Parker 51

2. Mottishawed Falcon

3. Grand Palace (or Berlin if I can snag one) RB'd Pelikan 6XX

4. Pelikan 805 blue/black with undetermined exotic nib

And lots, lots more that I haven't even seen yet.

Excuse me, I'd better just cut up my credit cards now, before I'm too overwhelmed by temptation.

"Chimpanzee on hard drugs," tee-hee! Switch to psychedelics and I'd pay to see the results. :roflmho:

Richards Pens

If you are in to getting a custom nib, this might prove to be just too much for you  :roflmho:

No connection but RB has a good reputation and shares his words of wisdom here quite frequently.  Not to say he is better that anybody else, we have others around these parts like Dillon who has a great reputation.  But this site tells you more than you ever need to know about a custom nib choice and if you fill out Richard's questionaire, he can even tell you which one would be right for you  :eureka:  How magic is that  :bunny1:

Jim

Jim,

Where on Richard's site could I find that questionairre?

--J. Haney

Towards the bottom of this page........

Questionaire

Hope this helps

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

One more bit of advice: I've been selling pens occaisionally on eBay for nine years. I always start my auction at one dollar. In all the years I have only gotten less than I tought the pen was worth once. The low starting price gets the bargain shoppers to watch the auction, or place a bid. Ten minutes before the auction auction ends they usually jump in again.

Great Ebay strategy, I always get suckered in by the $1 start price. Unfortunately, I often get beaten out by the snipers as well.

Become one.

3 free snipes / week at Auctionstealer.com

Great for the casual Ebay user who keeps getting sniped!

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Towards the bottom of this page........

Questionaire

Hope this helps

Jim

That is NOT helpful at all sir! I hope Binder is paying you well - all I got was a page of gorgeous Pelikan pens to scroll through! Talk about enabling. :) Most tempting! :bonk:

I think you got stung by the way the frames work at Binder's site. Here is a direct link to the questionare: www.richardspens.com/?page=nibneeds.htm

Jim Couch

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Jim,

Click on the Repair and Restoration link on the left side of the page and the questionnaire is about half way down just below the statement that Richard used Tryphon products and above the nib width chart.

Just describe them as "pre-owned" instead of "used". :P

Or "Previously Enjoyed" like they do with second hand CD's and records.

Malcolm Webb, Lincoln UK

When somebody asks me what Rotary is all about

I tell them it's all about Fun, Fellowship & Caring Service.