Is it worth selling your used, non-vintage pens?

DilettanteG

To sell or not to sell, that is the question!

I'm contemplating selling some of the pens I don't use much to fund the purchase of a customized Mottishaw. I've never sold any stuff on the internet, though I've bought way too many things on ebay. It would help me decide if I knew:

Do you get anything but a pittance if you're not a regular dealer?

If you do sell them where do you sell them?

How do you decide how much to ask?

If it’s an auction do you set a reserve?

Have you regretted it horribly once your pens find their ways to new homes?

Inquiring minds want to know!

:blink:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• ConnallMac

• OldGriz

• sonia_simone

Sell them on pen forum market places.

With pics.

A used modern FP will fetch something less than retail.

Ebay as a last resort I think.

Watch the boards to see what sort of asking price for a pen in a particular class. If you tell use what you have, we might suggest a good asking price.

I've sold off many of my pens. Generally always to upgrade so no regrets. If you get hte mottishaw, you wont miss the others.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

To sell or not to sell, that is the question!

I'm contemplating selling some of the pens I don't use much to fund the purchase of a customized Mottishaw. I've never sold any stuff on the internet, though I've bought way too many things on ebay. It would help me decide if I knew:

Do you get anything but a pittance if you're not a regular dealer?

If you do sell them where do you sell them?

How do you decide how much to ask?

If it’s an auction do you set a reserve?

Have you regretted it horribly once your pens find their ways to new homes?

Inquiring minds want to know!

:blink:

I usually look to recoup about 50% of MSRP for a slightly used pen. But I also look to see what they are going for and as a last resort write down the number and see if I am comfortable with it :lol: . As well sometimes there will be a little haggling over the price.

The marketplace here as well as the green board are where I sell the most.

If I do have to go to ebay I most often put my minimum up as the starting bid and let it happen from there.

K

i'd also recommend doing a search in the Market place to see if similar pens have sold in recent months and at what price.

Selling here or on "the green board" (Pentrace Market Board) are the most active selling spots that I'm aware of and IMO better there than e-bay.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

When I want to know the going price of something I want to sell, I find comprable items on E-bay and track the auctions. If 3 or more sell at approximately the same price, I feel I have a good guide for price.

OTOH, selling pens is like selling children. They may bring a good price, but I just can't bring myself to do it!

I would also consider trading in your strategy. If you have something someone else wants you may be able to trade up, especially if you trade a couple of lesser pens for a higher end pen. Of course that will probably require more research to find out what people value than a straight up sale.

--J. Haney

p.s. you have to tell us what Mottishaw you're looking at.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Like the above posts say, the Marketplace of this very forum is a good place to start: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...hp?showforum=10

The prices...well...if you mention the pens you are intending to sell here on this topic, some of us pen-experts may be able to tell you the retail price it is when brand-new - and then depending on the condition of your pens you could decide what to sell them for yourself ;)

As with regretting horribly after selling your pen - I have heard from various sellers that this may happen!! So be very strong-minded when you decide to sell a pen. I have read about some people who sold their pens, and bought them back at a greater price because they regretted selling their pen :o :lol: But then again, think of why you're selling them :) Your custom pen!

Edited by kissing

As many have said, I'd offer them here among friends first and if your friends are too cheap to cough up, or no one wants those particular pens, go Ebay.

I'd use a low starting bid and a reserve set at the minimum you'd sell for.

There are various ebay strategies, including a very high opening bid, but I sometimes think that works against you. I just picked up a fairly rare Parker 75 with the opening bid. Had the seller listed a lower opening bid, my bet is that he would have attracted at least a few bidders and would have ended up with a higher sale price.

I think a really high opening scares people away, as does a reserve that is higher than your bottom acceptable price.

I've picked up more than a few pens and watches from people when their auction failed to reach reserve by e-mailing them afterward and saying "Well now that you've established what the X is not worth to the buying puiblic, would you consider Y?"

A no reserve with a low opening is the most effective way to get attention and bids, but it is also the most nerve wracking for a seller.

If the item is of value, the added fee for the feature listing at the top of a search return is worth it. $$$$$$$$

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I generally will buy pens at a good deal so that I can restore them and resell to put some money away for something I really am looking for (Parker 51 DJ Mustard First Year, i.e.). Of course I sometimes end up spending it on another pen that catches my eye or a deal I just can't pass up.

But I do sell more than my share of pens... I generally will post a nice pen here on FPN first for my friends to get before it goes to eBay.

The advise I give anyone who wants to sell a pen is:

1. Great photographs of the pen showing any and all faults there might be. Show the nib and a writing sample if possible.

2. Be brutally honest about the condition of the pen. If YOU think there is a fault, state it... tell the prospective buyer you think it might be a fault and you are not sure. In the long run you will get a reputation for dealing in good pens that are accurately described. This is especially important when you sell on the forums.

3. Make sure you have an accurate value on the pen. I have seen pens offered on forums and eBay for prices way way over what they are actually worth. We all obviously would like to make a profit on a pen we sell, but there is a big difference between a profit and highway robbery.

4. This is especially if you are selling on eBay... be honest with your shipping charges. Fortunately, eBay is cracking down on this. But it is not uncommon to see some sellers charging $15.00-20.00 for USPS Priority Mail shipping. A Flat Rate Priority Mail Envelope (free for the asking at USPO) costs $4.05 to ship anything you can put in it up to 70lbs. I generally use 6x9 padded envelopes, wrap the pen in some bubble wrap, cover with cardboard and can ship USPS First Class with Delivery Confirmation for around $2.00. On eBay I generally have a $5.00 shipping charge... this offsets the cost of the envelopes, the postage and my having to drive to the post office and back. Overseas rates are obviously higher.... but even then a Flat Rate Global Priority Envelope (again free for the asking) recently cost me $5.50 to ship overseas... I have no problem with a seller charging a reasonable amount for shipping material and driving to the PO... but not $10-20 worth...

Kate,

If you follow the advice here I am sure that you will get a fair price for your pens and that they will go to a good home.

OK so you may regret selling an odd one, but then such is life, and at least you get closer to that Mottishaw you are really after.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

I've purchased just about all my pens---new and vintage--in the last couple of years, but strangely I find it very hard to part with a vintage pen, but no problem with a pen that I bought new. I guess there's some psychological difficulty with parting with a 40 or 50 year old pen, even though I've only owned it for a bit.

Anyone else feel that way or am I just weird??

I've purchased just about all my pens---new and vintage--in the last couple of years, but strangely I find it very hard to part with a vintage pen, but no problem with a pen that I bought new. I guess there's some psychological difficulty with parting with a 40 or 50 year old pen, even though I've only owned it for a bit.

Anyone else feel that way or am I just weird??

I completely understand this feeling. With something that is still in production, or has only been discontinued in the recent past, there is a much higher probability (generally) that you will be able to replace it, should you change your mind after the sale. With a vintage pen those odds are (generally) so much lower that this mindset makes perfect sense to me!

--J. Haney

I completely understand this feeling. With something that is still in production, or has only been discontinued in the recent past, there is a much higher probability (generally) that you will be able to replace it, should you change your mind after the sale. With a vintage pen those odds are (generally) so much lower that this mindset makes perfect sense to me!

--J. Haney

Thank you, thank you so much, I feel better now! And it makes sense--a vintage pen is unique--even if millions were made, each has it own history and character and, yes, even blemishes and imperfections, which give it a personality.

And our modern pens are also getting a history as we use them, and scratch them, and buy and sell them.

--J. Haney

Thank you, thank you so much, I feel better now! And it makes sense--a vintage pen is unique--even if millions were made, each has it own history and character and, yes, even blemishes and imperfections, which give it a personality.

And our modern pens are also getting a history as we use them, and scratch them, and buy and sell them.

Exactly, my way of thinking in a nutshell!

--J. Haney

I don't go much for the "pen having a personality" thing, but certainly it makes sense that if you can easily get another one, then the first one is easier to part with.

First of all: thanks everyone for the cacophony of good advice!

It's probably not a great sign that I've had trouble even replying to my own thread about culling my heard. Actually, given my love of Pelikans, perhaps I should say thinning my flock?

Thanks KendallJ -- I will offer them here first. If nothing else I can then more successfully delude myself they're all of to loving homes, where someone will use them, instead of just being space holders at my place. I also love your idea of upgrading; it makes me feel like I'm making progress in my quest for the perfect pen and ink, instead of simply having made a number of purchasing errors. I love being in the country, but it pretty much means if you want to try a fountain pen, you're buying it.

Thanks Tytyvyllus -- "50% of MSRP for a slightly used pen" sounds good to me. I'll put it down to the cost of ownership. Now, if I can just bring myself to face how much I've blown on pens over the years. :blush:

Thanks KCat -- I was thinking ebay because I have a good rating and history there. Hopefully, I can see my less expensive pens here first and build my reputation as a legitimate seller.

Thanks Tonydacrow -- I'm already having separation anxiety and I haven't even listed any yet. Too bad it's not like selling horses. The option of first refusal in the event of resale makes selling a bit less painful there.

Thanks PaulLeMay -- Looks like I'll be raiding my husband's camera collection again. Hopefully, the photography won't respark any love affairs.

Thanks jeen --" pre-owned" or "carefully selected and personally vetted." It's all about the marketing, baby! :roflmho:

Thanks ConnallMac -- I'll keep the trade option in mind. Everyone needs a Parker 51, a Namiki Vanishing Point, and probably several other pens I haven't even thought of yet that haven't graced my greedy little mitts.

Hi Sonai Simone -- First of all Cutest Baby Picture Ever as your avatar.

The pen I'm lusting after is the Pelikan M805 in silver, blue, and black with the Spenserian mod if I can get it. I think that comes to $433 plus s&h and tax. :drool:

I am a little afraid my husband will take one look at the bill and recommend I use it to sign the divorce papers.

Thanks Kissing -- I'll post the ones I'm considering selling here first to get an idea of current market value, especially for the pens no longer available retail. Also, I love your anime with pen picture, very cool.

Thanks wspohn -- How sweet of you to refer to the members of this forum as friends. Of the three forums I've posted on: Coffee Geek, the Hanoverian Warm blood Horse board, and this, FPN has got to be the most universally friendly. Not that I haven't gotten good solid advice and charming posts on all of them, but this board seems remarkably free of trollers. Plus, always nice to hear from the town that produces Stargate. :D

Thanks OldGriz -- I was quite at a loss for how to ship. So your post is much appreciated. I will follow your advice to the letter.

Thanks JimStrutton -- I think I'd rather have the Mottishaw than all my low end pens. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Hi BobR -- I can totally see vintage pens which have survived the years feeling more unique than a mass produced modern. This, of course, doesn't mean you're not weird. ;)

Thanks again, and I hope I didn’t forget anyone!

-Kate

Kate, you'll love it, I have a Mottishaw flex Falcon and it is just a wonderful thing to write with.

I'm saving for a pen in the same price range. So painful! This month I fell off my "no spending money on pens" wagon, which delays my new Nakaya by a month, but I'm not made of STONE.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick