6 replies to this topic

#1 ddickenson

ddickenson

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 18:15

I recently got what I believe to be a pretty good deal (around $30 shipped) on what looks to be a halfway restored vintage parker button fill. I have never attempted to restore a pen before but this one appears to have been polished up and has all the pieces and the mechanism in order except no ink sac. The nib works great when dipped and the nib section is detached from the barrel currently. As I have never done this I'm not sure where to go to buy a sac and once I have it how to go about installing it. Also I'd like to know if anyone has details about exactly what this pen is, since I got it on ebay there was nothing more than speculation. The barrel has lightly stamped "GEO. S. PARKER-PARKER-MADE IN U.S.A. 9"

http://s832.photobuc...245/guitarmnxx/

Any ideas?

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,565 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2010 - 18:52

i'm pretty sure replacing the sac on this is the same as on any other sac pen. remove the section, shellac the nipple, shove a sac over it. if you have a way to measure the diameter of the nipple, you can give that to a sac seller and they can sell you the right sac. there are sac sellers pinned at the top of the repair forum.

good luck!

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 John Danza

John Danza

Pre-1920 Parker

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:27

The best "how to" I've found on replacing a sac is the article Richard Binder wrote that is on his site. You can find it here. It's about replacing a sac in general, not about repairing a button filler.

As far as buying sacs, you can get them from Woodbin or from Pendemonium.
John Danza

Please take a look at my "Pens for sale" page here.

I buy old Parker fountain pens. If you have some to sell, please send me a message here!

#4 ddickenson

ddickenson

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 17:56

I got some info and restoration supplies from Binder, thanks. Anyone have an idea if this is actually the pen I think it is?

#5 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2010 - 20:54

I'm not the expert, but it looks a lot like the marbled Challenger I bought a few months ago. Take a look at Challengers on EBay to compare, or look at Tony "Algabratz"s site, Parker Penography:

http://parkercollect...challenger.html

And, of course, wait for the real experts to give their opinions!
Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#6 John Danza

John Danza

Pre-1920 Parker

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 21:47

Definitely a Challenger.
John Danza

Please take a look at my "Pens for sale" page here.

I buy old Parker fountain pens. If you have some to sell, please send me a message here!

#7 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:57

You definitely have a Deluxe Challenger. Unless it's actually green, it looks like the Oyster color to me. It's probably from 1937-1938. I'm not an expert on this, but Parker switched from three cap bands to two around 1937. However, they also switched to the tapered clip at the same time. You pen looks like it has three bands and a tapered clip. This isn't too unusual, but my guess is that it's transitional as they changed parts. I'm a big fan of the Challenger. It was a step below the Vacumatic, but it has a wider girth, the simple button filler mechanism and is an excellent writer. It sounds like you paid a decent price for it. I hope you enjoy your new pen.