#661 brgmarketing

brgmarketing

Transition Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:21

Just purchased a burgundy Waterman CF, f-m 18K nib, w/ a converter and two cartridges at a local 2nd hand store. One cartridge was empty and the other was about 1/5th full. I thought the empty one was open and it was not! So, I "inserted" it into the pen (after I cleaned the pen with lukewarm water numerous times) to open the drain hole. After filling it with water (through a syringe), I now have a very nice working "new" pen. Oh yes, the pen was made in Canada.

It came in an excellent condition, clean Waterman "jewel" box which included a ball point and a clear plastic tube which used to contained the converter and still has a small sheet of blue paper with the instructions in French and English.

The converter needs to be re-sacked or, if I can find another converter at a "reasonable" price, I would probably buy one. (If anyone knows of a source for a "new" converter, please let me know).

Glad to find myself on the Waterman's forum. Now I have someplace to spend my spare (? -LOL) time.

Sid

P.S. Is there anyway to date this pen?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#662 patodietz

patodietz

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:25

image.jpg

Sharing my latest adition to my sevens collection.

#663 inky_fingered_deb

inky_fingered_deb

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:18

So far, I only have one Waterman: a blue marble Phileas (med nib) that I bought when they first came out. Have used it off and on over the years. Writes like a dream, but I find the barrel a bit slippery and have to be careful not to drop it as I tend to fiddle with pens.

Interesting bit of history: When I purchased the pen, I was disconcerted to find that the decorative whatchamacallit (highly technical term there, yes?) on the band at the bottom of the barrel didn't line up with the nib, so I sent the pen to Parker and they fixed it, or replaced the pen, who knows, no questions asked. Nice service. I was amused today to see an NOS waterman of the same blue marble with the same misaligned doohickey (another highly technical term) on the bay today.

Deborah

#664 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2013 - 21:35

In order of purchase:

1 x Expert II (reddy marble effect)

1 x 515 (black)

1 x very poorly Carene (black) that I very nearly ruined by trying to fix but has gone from a dry scratchy medium to a big fat unbelievably smooth stub.

I did have two Reflex models but they were terrible starters so I gave them away.

#665 anra

anra

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2013 - 22:24

My Watermans:

2 x Kultur

1 x Hemisphere

1 x Phileas

1 x Audace

1 x Ici et La

:)

#666 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 18:04

One.

A 52 BCHR with a XF to BBB Waterman Ideal nib from Mauricio.

I checked what inks many recommended for super-flex nibs, and had a few. R&K Scabiosa I'd not used for much yet. It was iron gall and would dry quick.

It did. It did well on most papers tested. It is just the start. I've only had it inked for 20 minutes.

I took the 52 and R&K ink  to my Gmund and MK paper (German) samples. In that Gmund costs €35 for 50 or 100 sheets depending on which...I intend to dither a very long time. Certain inks work 'best' on the 170g, others on the 120 and of course a couple did great on the 100g....that is three slightly different types of paper at those weights.

On (US) Southworth 90g ivory I marked down as scratchy. Otherwise it was 'toothy' in most cases. A couple it seemed less toothy...to bad I didn't mark that down. :headsmack: Must have been early in the quick scribbling.

I'm sure with 100% cotton it would smooth out, but there would be very little shading left, in 100% cotton swallows that.

Ancient 'iridium' is not as smooth as modern after The War. It is lumpy, chunky and prone to have pieces break off. "Iridium' for fountain pens was perfected in or just after WW2. So grinding to over smooth such old nibs can grind chunks off.

I ordered through my B&M  G. Lolo Paper laid Verge De France 160g 25% cotton. That is not a paper for that nib. I can think any laid could/would cause that nib to hang up a couple of times a line....sort of scratchy.

G. Lolo Velin 125 g 50% cotton. writes 'ok' but  there are parts of strokes that don't show up every other line. There is Rail Road'ing when trying the fancy L....That paper is not for that ink, or not that nib or both.

Neither of these papers lived up to my expectations. I've got to get the regular 90-100g versions.

I just tired my Australian 'flexi' BB stub Snorkel on those two papers....hacked a letter or two on the laid, and was 'toothy' on the 125g...to my surprise. I guess those papers are best with nibs with a big American Bump under (Many of the '50's German nibs were rather flat under the tines. Some of the 'no name' German semi-flex nibs I have from the '60's do have an American Bump under. The only pen I have inked that had the American Bump under was a Parker, it mastered both papers easily.)

There is no perfect nib, paper or ink. With luck one finds the perfect combo though. Persistence helps in the luck file. Max cost is not always a winner.

My 'fancy' letter is an capitol L, and with a good ink, on ok paper it will show a small

trapezoidal block from when the nib crosses back over the end of the long stroke of the L just as it curves. That is the only place and letter I press a nib. Even then I don't press to the max. Much of flexible writing as done by those who can...not I, is about how fast the nib snaps back. I took a light down stroke and pressed once relatively hard on one side of it,and a bit harder on the other. Yes, the nib goes from EF to BBB. I really don't have to do that all the time...now do I?

I can get  a full English handlebar mustache L letter out of a nib like this with good flex. Do read Richard Binder's article on how easy it is to spring a nib. 

My test phrase is Let it Be. (Quick writing not trying to max a letter.)

L e i B e ... The fancy letters L and B get a bit Bold, the t's get crossed and the e ends up with some swing of flow. I started doing that with my first semi-flexes and continued to give me an idea what the nib would do, and or what the nib and ink would do.

The first pen I bought off of Ebay was a Waterman Graduate...that chrome  fingerprint trap was the first pen I sold on Ebay too.

I want a Waterman Woodgrain or Ripple some day....when I know more.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For that get a 'flexi' or a "flex" nib.

"

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#667 Sinistral1

Sinistral1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 924 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2014 - 21:08

Bo Bo:

Thank you for this post. You describe very well the importance of marrying the right paper with the right ink and the right nib for maximum performance of all three.

I also liked how you highlight the differences in how much tipping material is on the post WW2 nibs versus the pre WW2 nibs, which results in an oft "scratchyness" (of those 1890-1940 flexible nibs) on all kinds of modern paper. Trying to smooth these old nibs can ruin them because of how their iridium was attached, as well as the very nature of the tipping material.

Thanks again for your astute observations!

Edited by Sinistral1, 03 January 2014 - 21:16.

Let The Lord make the judgement and deal with any sin, we are tasked to show His love to everyone. Unknown

#668 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2014 - 14:04

Just one, a black Man 100.  I think it's a better looking pen than anything they make now.

#669 Tasmith

Tasmith

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2014 - 00:42

Executive:

Citizen-WatermanWEB.jpg

Kultur:

KulturWEB.jpg

Edited by Tasmith, 05 March 2014 - 00:43.

#670 m6ttl

m6ttl

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:02

Looking in the cabinet, I see these two. Both are black.

Centennial 100 LeMans
Laureat

Edited by m6ttl, 17 March 2014 - 12:04.

#671 SeanKidd

SeanKidd

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2014 - 16:23

3 Phileas' and 2 Laureats. Love em'!

#672 willard

willard

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 14:54

One Kultur, which I believe is the best Safari I ever owned.

One Facette, which comes from my grand-mother's estate.  It was scratchy and not fully cleaned.

I blame my grand-mother for discovering FPN and having become a pen nut.

Edited by willard, 19 March 2014 - 14:54.

#673 discopig

discopig

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:48

Waterman 12 1/2 PSF, just plain hard rubber with a gold band on the barrel

Waterman 52

Waterman's Ideal 1/2v, unknown model from early 30s

Edited by discopig, 27 March 2014 - 10:49.

#674 tylchick

tylchick

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:05

My second Waterman just arrived today - a 52 Wood Grain Ripple, with some cosmetic flaws but it writes so smoothly with a superflex nib. Time to start to learn some fancy writing...

Attached Images

• DSC_1088 1.JPG

Tracy

#675 Gary D

Gary D

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:10

Hi,

I have just aquired this watermans Safety pen. It has a 1903 US patent on it and has a diameter of about half an inch. Can anyone tell ne anything about it?

Thanks

Gary

Attached Images

• Pen1.jpg
  • Pen2.jpg

#676 Xof72000

Xof72000

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:21

I can't read properly the nib, but it looks like a 48 safety... any number on the bottom end of the pen ?

#677 Gary D

Gary D

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 13:58

Yes it's got a 48 on the end and a no 8 nib

#678 pensilly

pensilly

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 14:55

My latest find over the weekend...a No. 20 in sterling overlay (looks like a vine pattern).  Needs a ball on the edge of the clip, but nib is beyond repair, so if anyone has a No. 10 nib, I'd be interested.  Peter

http://www.fountainp...3__img_8462.jpg

#679 Xof72000

Xof72000

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 15:19

Great find Pensily ! 

And good luck searching for the #10 nib ... not so easy to find ...

#680 tmenyc

tmenyc

Tim

• Member - Gold

• 1,132 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 15:31

Using my wonderful 5, with its equally wonderful Brown nib.  

Tim

13695450333_b8e6791b45.jpg13695578313_d6e632477d.jpg

Edited by tmenyc, 07 April 2014 - 15:35.

Current Rotation:

home: MontBlanc 149/MB Midnight Blue

pen case: Parker Vac/Lamy black; Waterman 5/vintage Waterman Blue-Black

office: Newton Micarta/OS Manganese
bag: Pilot Metropolitan/Noodlers OMB

#681 pensilly

pensilly

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 16:20

That is sweet!

#682 gqtuazon

gqtuazon

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:24

I just bought this fountain pen from an airport. I am not sure what it is and the closest is the Waterman Exprert but I am not sure.

13823141103_43e7b4e50e_c.jpgWaterman Expert 003 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Edited by gqtuazon, 14 April 2014 - 07:25.

Warm Regards,

Glenn

#683 gqtuazon

gqtuazon

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:26

Here is the full image.

13823115375_7ae272ff13_c.jpgWaterman Expert 002 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Warm Regards,

Glenn

#684 pensilly

pensilly

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 18:55

Great find Pensily ! 

And good luck searching for the #10 nib ... not so easy to find ...

Thanks. I guess lightning does strike once in a while...the nib is a challenge but I may have a line on one....will update this forum as things develop

#685 Force

Force

Fergus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:56

Thanks. I guess lightning does strike once in a while...the nib is a challenge but I may have a line on one....will update this forum as things develop

Better have a few bob saved, I think it was only the nib wanted here.

http://www.ebay.co.u...7#ht_806wt_1362