24 replies to this topic

#1 Admin

Admin

The FPN Admin Team

• Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 23:58

Dearest Ladies and Gentlemen, Members of this Little Fountain Pen Nut House on the Digital Prairie,

As everything seems quite stable after the upgrade to the latest version of the board software, and all the niggling behind the scenes details appear to be fixed as well, we thought it proper to announce and introduce a new feature of this board: the Mobile skin. IOW, a skin designed to work well with PDAs and iPhone type cell phones, for mobile browsing. At the bottom of each page, left hand side, you will find a field which indicates the currently selected skin, in principle the default IP.Board skin.  Clicking on the arrow next to it, will provide you with the option to select between this and the new IP.Board Mobile skin. selecting one will instantaneously change the layout to your selection.

We do hope you enjoy this little add-on, to make your mobile browsing experience of FPN an even more pleasurable one.

Warm regards,
This account is unmanaged.
Please direct questions and comments to FPN Admin email, or directly to admin Wim (wimg).

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team

#2 bluemagister

bluemagister

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 00:17

Thank you! I love to check FPN by iPhone and this will help cut loading times and make things nice. WOOOOOO! :roflmho:

#3 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 00:22

Thank you FPN! I noticed the change on my iPod Touch and love it :)
Tamara

#4 calibr8

calibr8

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 00:43

I was suddenly much more able to go on FPN using my Blackberry! A wonderful addition, thank you!

#5 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2010 - 21:48

Nice. I tried the iPhone IP.Board app and it works very nicely with FPN, too.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#6 bongomon

bongomon

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:38

Looks great, much easier to navigate.

Is there any way to get into the personal section like messaging, or to search while in this skin?

#7 dannzeman

dannzeman

flex nib fanatic

• Member - Gold

• 1,378 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 23:28

Why do I have to be logged in to see the mobile view?

#8 pmsalty

pmsalty

shamus

• Member - Gold

• 1,312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2010 - 23:57

:thumbup:
PMS
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

#9 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:15

Why do I have to be logged in to see the mobile view?

Because it is not an option for Guests. Sorry.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#10 Elaine

Elaine

Mama Tiger

• Admin Hon.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,522 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:00

Looks great, much easier to navigate.

Is there any way to get into the personal section like messaging, or to search while in this skin?

yes touch the double arrow at the top of the page, this brings up the menu for messaging and other things like viewing new content. To reply to a message you need to touch it to bring up more functions.

Written on my iPod touch before getting out of bed :-)

#11 isavelez

isavelez

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:35

To the Admins:

Thanks, the new skin is wonderful. I used to change the old skin to the traditional view, because I could never manage my way around the board otherwise on my iPhone. I especially like the visual cues (color "talk-bubble" icons, etc.)

Great work. It is quite an effort you all put in to keep our "nuthouse" in order, and this "nut" truly appreciates it! :notworthy1:

To Silvermink:

Thank you for posting about the app from IP.Board for the iPhone. I would've never thought to look for something like that on the appstore. I downloaded it and it now contains this board and two others I follow, which makes things much easier to manage.

Warm Regards to all,

Isabel
You are not obliged to complete the work, but neither are you free to evade it. Rabbi Tarfon

#12 majorworks

majorworks

Paperback Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2010 - 16:00

Thanks for adding the mobile skin. Pages load much faster on the phone!

I only wish it would automatically break lines to accommodate the narrow width of mobile screens.
Happiness is an Indian ED!

#13 tonyv

tonyv

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2010 - 16:01

Thank you for this. Although most of the time I have my laptop with me, I love to check my favorite sites from my BlackBerry.

Tony :)

#14 tmenyc

tmenyc

Tim

• Member - Gold

• 1,269 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 15:09

HUGE improvement!! Many thanks for your outstanding work and commitment. The BB skin is great.

Tim

Current Rotation:

home: Conway Stewart 236/Waterman cocktail (first fill)

pen case: Delta Fusion 82/Diamine Deep Dark Blue, Summit S125/Waterman vint Blue-Black

bag:  Pilot Metropolitan/OS Manganese

office:  Wality 69L, Esterbrook 9668 nib/Noodlers OMB

#15 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 15:36

I'm on a verizion phone that is what they classify as 3g, or half-way between a smart phone and a normal phone. my web browser is really nice. i've been using the mobile skin, but for some reason it tends to load IP.board first, and after I log in then it automatically converts to Ip.Board Mobile, which I really can't thank you enough for! Is it possible when i first access FPN as a guest it'll load Ip.Board Mobile first instead of Ip.board?

It's not that big of a deal, but I thought i might ask.

Again, i love the new skin.

thanks,

j

#16 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2010 - 13:14

You should be able to select the mobile skin as a guest too, AFAIK. Did you give that a try yet, as in, prior to logging in?

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#17 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 20:12

You should be able to select the mobile skin as a guest too, AFAIK. Did you give that a try yet, as in, prior to logging in?

Warm regards, Wim

Yes. That works; however, my browser FIRST loads IP.Board and THEN i can choose IP.Board Mobile. I was wondering if there is anyway to have it automatically load Ip.Board MObile

#18 The Royal Pen

The Royal Pen

Me Irish eyes are smiling, for I've found me perfect blue.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:52

This is wonderful!
Posted Image

#19 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2010 - 23:44

Warm regards, Wim

Yes. That works; however, my browser FIRST loads IP.Board and THEN i can choose IP.Board Mobile. I was wondering if there is anyway to have it automatically load Ip.Board MObile

Sign out, sign in again. and tick the box where it says "Remember Me", before hitting enter. The IP.Board Default skin will stilleeb shown first, but just select the Mobile one again. From then on, provided you log in at least once every 3 days, it should remember.

You do have to switch on cookies for our site, however, otherwise it still won't work.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#20 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 4,680 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 00:52

I will learn this..
someday.. I've got the..well, almost got the scrolling thing down..

was able to google to FPN.. but fearful of signing in..
(scratches head-what is that password?)

have had Zero issues remaining signed in here.. so I Really want to tinker with success?

nifty little machines.

Posted Image~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#21 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:31

it seems as if the "report" button is not an option for the mobile skin

#22 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2010 - 13:13

it seems as if the "report" button is not an option for the mobile skin

Could be - I've never used it so far, actually; I first need to get a new cell phone, but it isn't the highest item on my priority list :D. The Mobile skin is a very much tuned down version of the normal skins, to keep overhead as much down as possible. The report option is a feature with extensive overhead for sure; it locks and reads from a very large amount of tables in the message database.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#23 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 4,680 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 13:21

so is the mobile skin a Read Only version?
IF we sign in, we potentially will have some sign-in issues when we return to our pc's after using the mobile device?
Obviously without sign in you can only view some of FPN, and not personal profile/messages.

Btw..the Droid is Fun-stuff : D
edited to add, how are you gentlemen with huge fingers able to use these scrolly-tap devices? amazing and perplexing at the same time!
also there is an App for handwriting-who Knows how to work the thing with one's fingers?? haven't discerned whether a stylus of some sort is possible. you can also draw, and have it presented as a video. very entertaining.

Edited by pen2paper, 18 July 2010 - 13:25.

Posted Image~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#24 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2010 - 13:26

IF we sign in, we potentially will have some sign-in issues when we return to our pc's after using the mobile device?
Obviously without sign in you can only view some of FPN, and not personal profile/messages.

edited to add, how are you gentlemen with huge fingers able to use these scrolly-tap devices? amazing and perplexing at the same time!

AFAIK, you can post from the mobile skin, provided you are logged in, and you should be able to select the normal skin regardless.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#25 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 18:48

AFAIK, you can post from the mobile skin, provided you are logged in, and you should be able to select the normal skin regardless.

Warm regards, Wim

I post from the Mobile Skin frequently. I am not able to log in via the mobile skin, however, as it does give an option to log in. So, I normal switch to the Lo-Fi skin, log in, and then switch to the Mobile Skin. Since i live in an area where the signal is not great, the Lo-Fi skin will post a message 3-6 times, and the mobile skin will post it 2-3 times.

but yes, one can definitely post on the mobile skin. it's much easier to do it on the mobile skin than on the lo-fi skin.