168 replies to this topic

#61 StyloBug33

StyloBug33

Paper Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 15:25

Thank you to all who helped get things back to normal. I have a new Mac and haven't had any trouble, but since I got the super-extra protection plan at Best Buy they said they would check out my computer and see if there is any problem. I'll report back and see if they found anything.
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
-Bill Waterson

#62 markc

markc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 15:34

Glad you're up and running again. I find it sad that people want to attack a harmless pen site. :-(

Harmless? Don't you know that the pen is mightier than the sword! :)
Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.
-Carl Sagan
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#63 Blotto

Blotto

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 16:03

Many, many thanks.

Now you Admins can get back to your day job, and the rest of us can get back to our addiction.

Is it true that this all started when someone tried to set up a Lamy Safari Forum?

Really...can't thank you all enough.

#64 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 16:07

Many thanks to the admins for all their hard work in restoring the board. It was missed.....

The perpetrator of the attack needs hanging out to dry at the very least. Good thing I am not in a position to catch the menace.

I was thinking more in terms of ocular surgery with a blunt nib.

Edited by Scrawler, 11 June 2010 - 19:07.

#65 ailleurs

ailleurs

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 16:16

Thank you thank you thank you!
read, write, grade essays, repeat

#66 dnb

dnb

A-dippeded

• Member - Gold

• 1,034 posts
  • Location:Halfway between where they claim the sun rises and from whence it really rises. Well, for us, anyway... (OK, Honolulu)
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 16:17

Thanks to all for your great diligence. I figured the site was down being cleaned since I had seen the Google warning. My computer was safe. Thanks again. Sorry for any grey hairs you've all received.
What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

#67 PatientType

PatientType

Enjoying the Journey

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 16:26

I entered the site accepting the risk and no malware entered my PC.Did they really found malware code in the site or was just a false positive?

I did the same thing and, yes, my pc was infected.

I run my resident anti-virus program, PC Tools Spyware Doctor, daily. When I prompted it to do an additional scan after all the warnings I saw in trying to get into FPN it found "dangerous" hidden files and other items it classified as "malware." I didn't have the presence of mind to do screen dumps of the alert pages. I wish I had so I could submit them to the mods here.

Anyway, I immediately ran the search & destroy software and it reported that my machine has been cleaned. However, I now have a boot up issue. It reports that a "key file is inaccessible" so I may need to do additional recovery. At least my machine is working.

#68 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 16:50

Many, many thanks.

Now you Admins can get back to your day job, and the rest of us can get back to our addiction.

Is it true that this all started when someone tried to set up a Lamy Safari Forum?

Really...can't thank you all enough.

I can neither confirm nor deny :bunny01:

#69 cuza

cuza

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 16:56

Without FPN, I was forced to go antique shop prowling looking for fountain pens. It was terrible.

By the way I found a very nice brown striated Sheaffer Triumph (1500) that just so happened to be on a Holy Grail list.

Jolly me!

#70 colrehogan

colrehogan

Pt Pd

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:17

Glad we're back, and thanks for your efforts. This happened to my own site last year, and it was just as frustrating getting Google to acknowledge the clean-up. Still, their turnaround time isn't as slow as that of some ISP's email blacklisting engines, where an innocent address can be blocked for years.

How do you know if your site has been affected by something like this? I have a site that only the home page is viewable. I don't know why, and I haven't had the time to look into it. It is very aggravating as I had photos there (it was meant as a photo site).

Diane
Halak 41/Elliott 1

#71 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:23

Thanks for your hard work in fixing it, guys.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#72 Atheris

Atheris

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:25

Thank you! It's so nice to have you back!

#73 KCat

KCat

Ancient Artifact

• Admin Hon.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,531 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:29

The Malware corrupted a bunch of files on my Mac. Had to run the installation utility diagnostics to fix the problem. Suggest other Mac users do the same.

Wait? What? I thought Macs were impervious to such assaults. Agh. I'm crushed.

(smart alek PC user who couldn't resist and who will probably now pay dearly for it in karmic fashion)
KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

#74 Readymade

Readymade

.. the (ink) stains become a warning...

• Member - Gold

• 1,666 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:37

Thanks to the FPN Admin team for all their hard work! :)
Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers - Facebook; Pens in SG FAQ

#75 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:38

Wait? What? I thought Macs were impervious to such assaults. Agh. I'm crushed.

Oh, snap. :lol:
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#76 Pen Is Mightier

Pen Is Mightier

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:42

Glad you're up and running again. I find it sad that people want to attack a harmless pen site. :-(

Harmless? Don't you know that the pen is mightier than the sword! :)

+1
The Pen Is Mightier than the sword.

#77 John UK

John UK

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:43

Another set of thanks for your hard work in fixing this.
Lifelong daily fountain pen user

#78 David G.

David G.

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:47

Thank goodness it is now fixed. I've been wanting to tell a couple people about this site but couldn't possibly do so when it was in such a state. At least I was able to get a couple fountain pen converts over the past week anyway.Posted Image

#79 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• 4,149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:52

I think you should send out snail mail letters to everyone to "Only Open In Time of Emergency" and inside would be some sort of scratch and sniff ink related thing that we could use as a "withdrawal fix" in similar events, to stave off more severe (personally embarassing) symptions.
With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

#80 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• 1,517 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 18:02

Thank you FPN and Admins! I missed you!!!! So glad to have FPN back :)
Tamara

#81 indigirl

indigirl

talks to strangers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 18:26

We should find the perpetrator and force him or her to write with old Bic pens found inbetween couch cushions! :angry:

...on greasy sandpaper!

I had complete faith that our stalwart admin team would get everything fixed in good time. Thank you, congratulations, & w00t! :notworthy1: :clap1:

#82 CarolinaWriter

CarolinaWriter

#amwriting

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 18:36

:cloud9: I like the upgrades that got slipped in as well - good job!
Connie

I blog...
HouseWife with a Day Job

#83 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,427 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 18:50

Congratulations and well done. My sympathies that this had to be dealt with.

#84 humblescribbler

humblescribbler

and Zen there were none

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 18:58

Thank you Mods!! I quit my other addictions on June 8th as I figured my time had come.:headsmack: All back to normal, now. Thanks! :thumbup:

#85 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• 4,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 19:06

I entered the site accepting the risk and no malware entered my PC.Did they really found malware code in the site or was just a false positive?

I did the same thing and, yes, my pc was infected.

I run my resident anti-virus program, PC Tools Spyware Doctor, daily. When I prompted it to do an additional scan after all the warnings I saw in trying to get into FPN it found "dangerous" hidden files and other items it classified as "malware." I didn't have the presence of mind to do screen dumps of the alert pages. I wish I had so I could submit them to the mods here.

Anyway, I immediately ran the search & destroy software and it reported that my machine has been cleaned. However, I now have a boot up issue. It reports that a "key file is inaccessible" so I may need to do additional recovery. At least my machine is working.

This is what is happening to my daughters machine. The boot process takes it to a black screen which asks if you want to boot regular or safe mode. No matter which you select it eventually gets back to this screen. I have found that if you select safe mode and press escape to prevent it loading all the DLL's it will enter safe mode. I have just dropped it off at the store for professional attention.

#86 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,780 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 19:13

Hitman told me I had two Trogans....and I'd not used it in a while.

I'm glad you are clear on this brouser, on Mozella-foxfire your are still not clear.

Withdrawl symtoms to the max, even read a book....almost started back on mine

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 11 June 2010 - 19:22.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#87 Joane

Joane

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,206 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 19:24

Good job getting it fixed! Thank you!
Happiness is a real Montblanc...

#88 musorah

musorah

Chi town to London towne

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 19:25

Thanks, mods and admins!

Rick

#89 OrchidUnicorn

OrchidUnicorn

Still Learning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 19:32

Thank you for your hard work and for saving my bank account! One more day and I was going to have to go random pen shopping, without FPN guidance! :yikes: That would have been a nightmare of grand proportions!!

Lashelle

#90 egretsrus

egretsrus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 19:32

No, it wasn't a false positive....my PC was heavily affected and it took IT two hours to scrub my computer, bless their hearts and brilliant minds! I will take the above advice and check my Mac, since I used it also during the malware period to log on. I agree with all...there is no other website even close to FPN and I was in full withdrawal!

My life is full of mistakes. They're like pebbles that make a good road.
Beatrice Wood