Suggestion for a thin, lightweight, F/XF nib FP?

veri

I'm currently looking for a couple of things: a sturdy, waterproof/"permanent" blue ink that's a bit deeper than Nooder's Luxury Blue (which I've posted about in this thread), and a slender, light fountain pen with a fine or extra fine nib. One of the couple pens that started my collection years ago was a MB Noblesse Oblige, and while I don't much care for the particular nib I've got on it, the pen's length, girth, and weight are pretty much what I'm after.

Any product suggestions?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saintsimon

• veri

• Taki

• arvadajames

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I never had a Noblesse, they are typical of the late 70s and 80s slender pens from a lot of brands - that was the trend then.

Well, there may be still some Parker 75s around, today maybe Aurora Hastil or Magellano, Cross Century II, Caran D'Ache Madison I/II, lots of Lamys with steel nibs (cp1, logo, linea, alu) etc.

/:)

Well, something more recent like a Waterman Harmonie -

http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/9646/wm49811zu2.jpg

works as well, but something a little lighter would be nice. I actually have the above as a rollerball; knew I should've gotten it as a FP =/

Edited by veri

Except the Parker 75, all fps I mentioned are of current production.

Most Watermans are heavy brass bodies, same with the S.T. Dupont Classique line - slender but heavy.

What to recommend depends also on the possible price range.

Edited by saintsimon

Platinum Riviere. I almost forgot that I had it but it's light, slender and economical, too. F nib is typical Japanese F nib-very fine and smooth. Mine is pink(probably discontinued color) but the black "Stealth" finish looks very stylish with matching black nib.

I would recommend a vintage Pelikan 140. They are about the same size and weight at an M200, and the XF nib on mine is fine, smooth, and springy (rather than flexy). Excellent pens.

GIVE me my scallop-shell of quiet,

My staff of faith to walk upon,

My scrip of joy, immortal diet,

My bottle of salvation,

My gown of glory, hope's true gage;

And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

I just picked up a Pilot Murex from Stan Klemanowctz to replace one that I sold a couple of years ago. They're very nice, very solid pens with a really fine line. But they write very nicely indeed! I think that the integrated nib/seciton is cool. They're out there. Ron Dutcher often has them on ebay.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Pelikan 120's (vintage) are quite slim and are piston-fillers to boot. They also have screw-in nib units, but I don't know if they exchange with any other models. The 120 and 140 models are all-plastic and quite light.

I really like my Mont Blanc Noblesse (the 70's stainless-steel design; in my opinion, they got uglier as time went on) and the Pelikan Signum models, which were made from 78-87 and look a lot like the early Noblesse. These are metal-barrel pens, which makes them heavier than plastic pens.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)