25 replies to this topic

#1 penkid

penkid

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 18:45

I am curious... since the steel nib version of the studio is the same nib as the safari, does the studio write better? and if so do you know why?

#2 piembi

piembi

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2010 - 20:21

It does not write better than the Safari but one might prefer the size, weight and balance or the design of the Studio.

I use the Vistas as my toss around pens (they go into pants pockets or backpacks). The Studio sits it my daily pencase although it had been a sumgal deal ebay pen ....

#3 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2010 - 20:49

I am curious... since the steel nib version of the studio is the same nib as the safari, does the studio write better?

You just answered your own question. ;) It's the same nib, so it will write the same, but there may be other factors, as piembi mentioned, which may make you prefer one over the other.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#4 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:14

Yep. The Studio and the Safari use the same SS nib, feed, and filling mechanisms. Individual Studio nibs may be better than individual Safari nibs, but it goes the other way, too.

#5 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 18:16

Could it be the studio's nib has had better QC?

#6 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2010 - 18:35

Could it be the studio's nib has had better QC?

Possible, but it seems like it'd be a lot more sensible to standardize on a QC process. Doing "less" QC for the Safari/AL-star might actually end up costing more in terms of trying to maintain two different process flows.
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#7 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2010 - 18:37

I'd imagine all the SS nibs are machined on the same equipment by the same process with the same QC checks.

#8 FearNot

FearNot

FearNot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 13:49

QC should be the same for all nibs as I would think the nibs would all come from a single source then be shared out to the various product lines as needed.

Montblanc Blue-Black please; shaken, not stirred.

I believe the sun will rise tomorrow and I believe the stars will shine at night. Now, ask me what I know.

Fear not, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9 NIV)

#9 penkid

penkid

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 14:06

Thanks everybody for your responses. I assumed the writing performance would be the same given the same nib, but I guess I was hoping that for 3 or 4 times the price the studio would be dramatically better than the safari for some other reason like a better feed or something else. Thanks to all. I guess it the look and feel that are primary. Unless you get the gold nib version...

#10 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 16:09

That's about how it goes.

#11 dnb

dnb

A-dippeded

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Location:Halfway between where they claim the sun rises and from whence it really rises. Well, for us, anyway... (OK, Honolulu)
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 16:22

If I remember a visit to the Lamy site, all the nibs were the same. When you go to buy them they don't ask for pen style. The only one that is different to my knowledge is the 2000.
What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

#12 encremental

encremental

sprightly

• Member - Gold

• 1,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:55

I've got Studios (3) Accents (2) Al-Stars (8) Nexxes (2) Safaris (14) and some others (Logo, Linea et al), but the two I always have inked are the Safari and the CP1.

The Safari does it if you want a comfortable large pen (and is somehow just nicer than the more expensive Al-Star and more comfortable than the even pricier Studio), and the CP1 for something which slim like a pencil. Aesthetically it is also very satisfying. In my opinion, I think that Lamy's steel Safari-style nib is more successful than their gold.

John

#13 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:57

I've heard good things about the gold-nibbed Studios; it's probably worth checking those out.
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

#14 encremental

encremental

sprightly

• Member - Gold

• 1,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 18:24

Silvermink - I've actually got (rather than heard about) two gold nibbed Studios and one Accent, and I'd say otherwise. They are undeniably smooth, but the EF has a slight foot (i.e. horizontal width is broader than the vertical), which I find disconcerting, and the F is wider and less precise than its steel counterpart.

John

#15 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 18:36

Silvermink - I've actually got (rather than heard about) two gold nibbed Studios and one Accent, and I'd say otherwise. They are undeniably smooth, but the EF has a slight foot (i.e. horizontal width is broader than the vertical), which I find disconcerting, and the F is wider and less precise than its steel counterpart.

Interesting. That would be consistent with the iffy QC on their other gold nibs (i.e., on the 2000).
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

#16 encremental

encremental

sprightly

• Member - Gold

• 1,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 18:49

I think that's sort of true. The 2000 I have with an EF (the 2000LE, actually!) is not pleasant to use because of the foot (although, some people do actually like the line variation which this produces) and although I have five other Lamy gold nibs (two are 2000s, the others Safari variants) they are not ones which you would be able to send back because of QC concerns, the Safari gold variants are just not as satisfying to use as the steel ones. It's not a smoothness thing, it's a good nib thing! :happyberet:

John

#17 penkid

penkid

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 20:37

Do you guys know if the gold nibs are interchangeable like the steel nibs? I do not see them for sale individually like the steel nibs.

#18 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 20:59

Did you try here? http://www.lamyusa.c...stud14knib.html

#19 limesally

limesally

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 22:58

I've heard good things about the gold-nibbed Studios; it's probably worth checking those out.

I have one of the gold-nibbed Studios and while it indeed has a very nice nib, the one on my steel-nibbed Lime safari is actually nicer. The gold nib is probably the second best of the studio/safari nibs at our house, though.

But overall I agree with everyone who says it comes down to the overall feel of the Studio vs. Safari grip, weight, and texture (triangular plastic vs. barrel shaped metal).

Edited by limesally, 11 June 2010 - 22:59.

#20 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 23:10

Man, I'm tempted to buy one of those just so I can try to convince people that I have a one-of-a-kind, limited-edition gold-nibbed AL-star. ;)
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

#21 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2010 - 23:11

I think that's sort of true. The 2000 I have with an EF (the 2000LE, actually!) is not pleasant to use because of the foot (although, some people do actually like the line variation which this produces) and although I have five other Lamy gold nibs (two are 2000s, the others Safari variants) they are not ones which you would be able to send back because of QC concerns, the Safari gold variants are just not as satisfying to use as the steel ones. It's not a smoothness thing, it's a good nib thing! :happyberet:

Yeah, my 2000 EF is nice, but that seems to be a far-from-universal experience.
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

#22 inkpenguin

inkpenguin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:41

Man, I'm tempted to buy one of those just so I can try to convince people that I have a one-of-a-kind, limited-edition gold-nibbed AL-star. ;)

Just to confirm, the 14k gold nibs for the Studio are interchangeable with the Safari?

#23 mackthepen

mackthepen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2010 - 23:21

To resurrect this thread - I always found my two Studios rather indifferent writers (or worse), and although I liked the weight and feel in my hand, hardly ever used them. However, I have swapped both nibs for new XF nibs, and they are both fantastic writers now - I would happily make them both my two main pens - except for my outlay on other pens which puts me off relegating them to the pencil case. Maybe it's partly the Diamine inks that I'm using at the moment, but they're both giving me a very pleasing writing experience.

Mind you, so are my Safaris/Al-stars...

Andrew
Most of my posts are edited - it's because I'm a sloppy typist.

#24 bassopotamus

bassopotamus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:21

I've got a Studio, a Safari, and an Al Star (F, F, EF respectively). The first two write quite well, the Al Star is pretty lousy. It just doesn't seem to get enough ink to the nib. I just got it, and flushed it repeatedly before filling, but will try a bit more cleaning before I give up on it.
Posted Image

#25 jakelogan

jakelogan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:45

From my experiences they both write the same. The exact same nib off of the exact same assembly line should write the exact same way but due to bad QC lately one writes smoother than the other and that is the Safari.
Step 1: Buy another fountain pen
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit.

#26 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:11

Just to confirm, the 14k gold nibs for the Studio are interchangeable with the Safari?

Should be, AFAIK. I think they're all the same shape.
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked: