"italianpens" On Ebay - What's Your Experience?

Lizzie

I have just won a viscounti homo sapien at a v good price from him. This being my 8th pen from him. So far all have been well and all communications, prompt. I still haven't figure out how he gets his pens and how the business can flourish at these pricesMakes me wonder if prices in the walk-in shops are really marked up >60%.Even after my regular shop gives 30% discount easily to returning customers the prices are still much more than those at italianpens.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asiow

• Ghost Plane

• Lizzie

• Cliff O

I've never seen any claim that he's an authorized dealer. I've tracked his offerings for a couple of years now (and gotten some decent deals on no reserve auctions). I suspect he might be an "undertaker"--one who buys excess stock in bulk from authorized dealers and then sells it. I have no basis for this other than the patterns I see in his sales, but that's how it appears to me.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

I have probably purchased 10-15 pens from this seller. He is a terrible communicator. I estimate that 3-4 times he has sent me a pen with a wrong size nib. He always corrects his mistakes but it does take time. I have been following his site since he started and recognized that he can have a sharp edge. I have kept emotions out of my communications and have never have difficulty. I think that he sells a lot of pens and occasionally gets overwhelmed. On one occasion, I got frustrated while I waited for a pen to return from Italy and offered to take another model that he had on hand instead of waiting. He explained to me why such a swap would be unfair to me economically because my original pen had greater value. I believe that he is honest. Interestingly, when he makes a mistake he will send me an unrequested gift. The last one was a beautiful Italian 3 pen leather case. I have many pens that I enjoy that I would not have bought if his price was not as low. I am still new to pen collecting, but after going to several pen shows have met pen sellers that offer very good deals and seem more organized. I do think that it convenient to go to his site, if I do not have a special pen in mind. He is on my saved sellers list.

It's good to know that he has an honest heart. I think English is not his first language and coupled with his high sale volume, communication can appear curt and unpleasant at times.

Still I find his prices very competitive and postage efficient so far.

I just wish he has more Montegrappa instead of Visconti, Delta and Marlen

happyberet.gifhappyberet.gifhappyberet.gif

Might be because of the weekend and high sale volume from Xmas sale

I think his pens are covered by ebay protection so no worries.

I was also advised by seasoned ebay buyers to use credit card payment rather than paypal cash.

At least you have another chance to get back some money from the credit card company if the sale becomes problematic

With paypal cash, once money is sent, it's gone.

:happyberet::happyberet::happyberet:

Recently bought a pen from him/her....transaction was smooth and pen came quickly and safely...

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Recently bought a pen from him/her....transaction was smooth and pen came quickly and safely...

So many pens...

So many pens...

and so little time....I mean money......

:rolleyes:

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

So many pens...

and so little time....I mean money......

:rolleyes:

roflmho.giftime is right as well

Hi Mint,

Thanks for the response, I had a feeling that christmas rush might be slowing him down.

Unfortuantely tho, I have paid through paypal.

If I don't get a response soon (or postage) I might have to go up with a claim. But heres hoping it all goes ok soon :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought from Outletline and from Italianpens from time to time. Some 15 pens in total. Mixed experiences. Mostly everything went Ok. Sometimes the pen received did not exactly match the description and pictures (different nibs/boxes etc). Once I received a wrong - cheaper - Visconti model. He's never put that right, plus I have some doubts as to the originality of some of his pens and his business practices so I won't buy from him again. That's all in the Ebay-game: you win some, you lose some. FPN (organisation and users) are doing a great job by making public the pitfalls in pen buying on Ebay and through other channels.

And if my ways are not as theirs- Let them mind their own affairs. A.E. Housman

I've bought from Outletline and from Italianpens from time to time. Some 15 pens in total. Mixed experiences. Mostly everything went Ok. Sometimes the pen received did not exactly match the description and pictures (different nibs/boxes etc). Once I received a wrong - cheaper - Visconti model. He's never put that right, plus I have some doubts as to the originality of some of his pens and his business practices so I won't buy from him again. That's all in the Ebay-game: you win some, you lose some. FPN (organisation and users) are doing a great job by making public the pitfalls in pen buying on Ebay and through other channels.

OK. Now that’s a bit troubling. I can understand some issues with a wrong box or nib when you are selling a large volume of items. Nonetheless he should make it right when it is brought to his attention. However, when you say you question the originality of some of his pens that’s a concern because it sounds like you are saying he is selling fakes as originals. Is this the case? Do you have any specific examples of some wrong doing? If so, people here should be made aware of it.

This guys auctions reek of shill bidding. I've reported this to Ebay. Doubt they'll do anything though.

Good on you for trying to do something about it.

What mystifies me is why he says he ships worldwide, but then has a long list of exclusions, that seems to be growing, too. Why would a reputable pen seller refuse to ship to the UK, or Germany for that matter? It doesn't make sense, because a lot of collectors are based here and are excluded from his auctions. I find it disappointing that the US distributors of Montegrappa etc. shift all these pens on to him, while he is extremely discriminating in who he sells to.

I won one of his auction on the 26th Dec, paid on the 27th Dec and he only shipped my pen, a Visconti Homo Sapiens, on 8th Jan. I got my pen today and to horror, he not only forgot to include the my pen system, which he promised to in an email, but swap out the 23KT palladium nib for a 18KT gold nib. This is completely unacceptable ( since i bought the pen for the nib!) but it might be a mistake. i just contacted him again and i'm waiting to see his reply.

UPDATE: Italianpens contacted me within 5 mins of my email and said that it was a mistake and that he will pay for my shipping if i ship back to him ( at least what's how i interpreted his words).

Edited by xuan87

Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

Hey everyone.

Just thought I would update

Eventually received the pen in the new year. The pen was mailed 6 days after the auction... which I was quite happy to leave a one star positive feedback for ;-)

Pen arrived darn fast though. Box was a bit damaged, but otherwise everything was perfect.

Could have done with a smaller packaging box for postage though......

• 2 weeks later...

Same here with my Homo Sapien

Paid 19 Dec,

Shipped 26 Dec

Arrived 19 Jan

Thank goodness it was the palladium nib

I guess the christmas and new year mail rush / holiday delayed the shipping.

happyberet.gifhappyberet.gifhappyberet.gif

• 1 month later...

I have purchsed a few pens from italianpens and found them (similarly to many reports here) to be largely good value and well-meaning. However, their prices can be very cheap (check out a visconti dragon in the order of 3K when others are going for at least double that) and ID cans be missing from pen packaging, which makes me wonder where the pens come from and whether the suppier is giving them seconds or somthing!