Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise

Sandy1

• Kindly adjust the brightness & contrast of your monitor to accurately depict this Gray Scale.
  • As the patches are neutral gray, the colour on your monitor should also be neutral.

Figure 1.

Grey Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/FPN049.jpg

Figure 2.

Paper: HP1124 Laser Copy.

Swabs: Waterman Florida Blue. Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise

Swatch: Drawn with Pelikan M200 + 1.0 Stub

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/FPN321.jpg

WRITTEN SAMPLES: Moby Dick

Note - Narrow Nibs:

The first two lines have a row height of 4mm: one row in mixed case, and the following row is block printed. The third & fourth lines have a row height of 8mm.

Figure 3.

Paper: HP1124 Laser Copy.

(Includes nib width samples.)

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/FPN306.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/FPN307.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, Ivory.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/FPN308.jpg

Figure 6.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp - from a one-a-day cartoon calendar.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/FPN309.jpg

Figure 7.

'Happy'

Paper: Glossy card stock.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/FPN310.jpgOOOPS!!

OTHER SAMPLES:

Figure 8.

Wet samples, Smear / Dry Time.

Paper: HP 1124 Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/FPN311.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION:

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Daily writer?

• Quite possible, especially if one prefers a light shade.

Other:

• Sits well upon the page; and is positioned ever so slightly in front of the plane of the paper which makes it appear convivial.
  • This ink has rather high wetness; and has a narrow range of density and shading.
  • This might be a 'Must Have' for anyone except djehuty.

USES:

Business:

• An interesting alternative to the Boring Blues.
  • Quite a solid-looking ink for such a light shade.
  • Certainly internal correspondence; may be a touch too 'light weight' for external correspondence - depending on one's station & business.
  • Perfect ink for a dunning letter.
  • Has enough zip for mark-up, editing, revision, etc.
  • Signatures.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• For charts, graphs, etc., it will be very welcome.
  • May be used as a substitute for the ubiquitous Light Blue.
  • Even on the HP1124 there is some trouble with feathering, Feathering_Link, so really cannot be considered when narrow tight lines are required - unless using a very dry writer.

Personal:

• Absolutely.
  • This is a convivial colour.
  • The minor shortfall of shading encourages one to set aside their mono-line nibs, and use alternate shape/s - which may not be entirely suitable in a business environment.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS:

Flow:

• Tends to be slightly wet.
  • OK with all sampled nibs & feeds.
  • Watch out for too wet writers. (See the Maxima samples.)

Nib Dry-out:

• All pens started immediately after 10 minutes uncapped.

Start-up:

• Very good.

Lubrication:

• More than adequate.
  • Does not impair the paper-nib feedback.

Nib Creep:

• None.

Staining:

• No.

Clogging:

• Unlikely.

Bleed Through:

• Not on any of the papers.

Show Though:

• Both sides of paper may be used without a problem.

Smell:

• Very faint; a citrus-sharp ester aroma.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Slightly more than expected. (?)

Archival:

• Makes no such claim.

Water Resistance: (Figure 8)

• Ha!

Smear Results: (Figure 8)

• Dry within 12 seconds.

Bulletproof:

• Makes no such claim.

Clean Up:

• Quick & thorough with plain water. :-)

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions / limitations.
  • There may be a temptation to shift the colour of this ink to be either more Blue or more Green. (I would resist such Sirens)
  • As this ink does have some shading, that could be reduced by using a saturated Private Reserve; or increased by using less saturated Herbin.

THE LOOK:

Saturation:

• Fairly high, but not so much that it makes the ink look 'hard'.

Shading:

• Generally subdued, but with some paper + nib combos, more shading can be achieved. Shading_Link

Feathering:

• Some: On common copy paper, and when excessive ink is laid down. Feathering_Link

Variance depending on pen+nib combos used:

• Very consistent.
  • N.B. The writing implements used for the Written Samples are unusually diverse.

FIDELITY:

Is colour name appropriate / accurate?

• Yes.
    • But: Some would not call this a Turquoise, but a 'Peacock Blue'.
    • This seems to be typical in this portion of the colour wheel where Cyan, Teal, Azur, Sky Blue, etc. reside and try to stake-out their territory.
    • Wiki says: "Turquoise is a slightly greenish tone of cyan" Wiki_LInk And 'cyan' is discussed here Wiki_Link

[*]The bottle cap and box sport a label to indicate ink colour. Colour depicted is OK, but density is way off - lighter than the 40% dilution swab seen in Figure 2. (Bah!)

PAPERS:

Lovely papers:

• This ink should look really good on most white papers.

Trip-wire papers:

• This ink should be able to handle any writing paper. Once again, if it looks bad - it's the paper, not the ink.

Tinted Papers:

• Well, I like the look of it on the G Lalo 'ivory' tint. This is a personal preference: Turquoise/Teal/Cyan ink on Ivory paper.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Not necessarily if using a dryish writer. But if using a wet writer, a high-end paper is well worth it.

OTHER THAN INK:

Presentation :

• 50ml. bottle.

Country of origin:

• Slovenia. (As molded on bottom of bottle.)

Container:

• A clear glass bottle, shaped like a truncated cone. Base diameter of 65mm, with a maximum height of 50mm.
  • The centred round opening is 23mm in diameter.
  • The Label includes the word 'ink', in ten languages; the name of the colour is ink is NOT included! Yikes!!
  • The hard plastic screw cap has adequate grippy bits, but seems thin/narrow.
  • The cap is not child-proof.
  • The cap seal seems to be plastic.
  • The cap bears a sticker that supposedly represents the ink colour - but at about 30% dilution.
  • Single tank, no filling aids, no sediment collector. The wee side-tank is long gone. Ah me.

Box:

• Clear flexible plastic.
  • Too flimsy to remain intact for long.
  • Seems to be for the benefit of the shipper and retailer - not the end user. (?)

Eco-Green:

• Poor: The box is unlikely to be recycled. (Why not use recyclable/renewable-source card stock?) Very poor decision. Tsk Tsk Tsk

Availability:

• Spotty in North America.
  • Other locations? Please chime in.

ETC:

Majik:

• Hmm. This ink might have it in there somewhere.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• From the few samples shown, I'd pick the old Waterman on the G Lalo ivory. Personal_Pick

Yickity Yackity:

• I am inking-up my Red Parker Super 21 for this ink.
  • Hello Summer! Jelly beans & ice cream cones. Beach sand blown onto fries soggy with malt vinegar. Exposed skin glimmers with TiO2
  • Ah kushbaby, when filled with this ink, your nudist Pink Safari will thank you.:lol:

+=^=+O+=^=+O+=^=+O+=^=+O+=^=+O+=^=+O+=^=+O+=^=+O+=^=+O

MATERIEL USED:

These pen+nib combos:

• Pilot 78G + g-p steel F nib. Pen_1
  • Sheaffer Targa + steel F nib. Pen_2
  • Waterman 502 + 18K M nib. Pen_3
  • Esterbrook J + 9460 steel Manifold M nib. Pen_4
  • Pelikan M200 + g-p steel 1.0 Stub nib. (richardspens.com) Pen_5
  • Parker UK Duofold Maxima + #50 14K B nib. Pen_6

For lines & labels:

• Pilot Plumix + steel XF nib; loaded with Visconti Bordeaux.

On these papers:

• HP 1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo 'Verge de France', Ivory.
  • Pulp - one-a-day cartoon calendar page: 78G + F nib only.
  • Glossy card stock: Maxima + B only.

NOTES:

1. I use only papers, pens & nibs that are readily available, not too pricey and 'stock' - not customised.
    1. If some pens/nibs are not currently produced, I'll use them if there are NOS or restored pieces readily available at OK prices.
    2. As appropriate, I'll include an implement outside of those guidelines, which will be ID-ed as a *Dealer's Choice.

[*]Figures were produced on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.

1. Originals scanned at 150 dpi & 24 bit colour to produce .jpg files.
  2. Close-ups (linked) were scanned at 600 dpi & 24 bit colour to produce .jpg files.
  3. The images were not adjusted other than cropping and straightening using iPhoto on a MacBook.

[*]Scanner Densitometer Readings were generated from the Drawn Swatch in Figure 2: Red 32; Green 172; Blue 240; Luminosity 157.

-30-

EDIT - Expletives removed.

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Parker Quink Turquoise

• SamCapote

• penrivers

Have used this new Sheaffer Turquoise ink.It is a bit darker than their old Peacock Blue but still a nice colour.Bought two bottles but had to give one bottle the old heavy ho as it had SITB.

Great review Sandy.Thanks for posting.

As usual, a comprehensive and informative review on an ink I'm quite familiar with, thank you. I have a lot of different turquoise inks, but am always delighted when I come back to this. It is fairly readily available in North America I think--a few months ago I scored an excellent deal on a two-pack of this ink (which I didn't need of course, but who can resist a bargain, certainly not me) from Amazon.

Have used this new Sheaffer Turquoise ink.It is a bit darker than their old Peacock Blue but still a nice colour.Bought two bottles but had to give one bottle the old heavy ho as it had SITB.

Great review Sandy.Thanks for posting.

Hi,

So sorry to read about SITB with this ink. I hope that others have not had such experience.

I don't have a vivid recollection of the 'Peacock Blue'. IIRC it was more pale than this Turquoise, and also somewhat more in the Blue direction : away from the Cyan - Green region. But obviously it never gained a cult following, such as the Montblanc Racing Green or the Parker Penman Sapphire, otherwise people would have cached the ink, and might have been so generous to share a swab sample or a written sample.

Glad you appreciated the Review.

Until next time,

S1

The two inks I used back in high school were Parker Quink Turquoise and Sheaffer Peacock Blue.I have a good supply of Parker Quink Turquoise and about ten bottles of Sheaffer Peacock Blue.My computer skills are not that great so posting pictures and so forth are a bit too much for myself.

Sandy I always enjoy reading your posts.Keep up the good work.

The two inks I used back in high school were Parker Quink Turquoise and Sheaffer Peacock Blue.I have a good supply of Parker Quink Turquoise and about ten bottles of Sheaffer Peacock Blue.My computer skills are not that great so posting pictures and so forth are a bit too much for myself.

Hi,

When I started with FPs in high school I went for Parker Quink Blue-Black: acting older than my chrono age by using a 'Walter Cronkite' ink.

But I did borrow a friend's Osmiroid pen with a calligraphy Italic nib - and that was inked with a Peacock Blue or Turquoise ink. I remember turning in Chem Lab Notes - got an 'A', the teacher said it looked so good that the results had to be correct & complete. (As if!)

I am glad you appreciate the Reviews, there are more inks out there.

Until later,

S1

Hi,

When I started with FPs in high school I went for Parker Quink Blue-Black: acting older than my chrono age by using a 'Walter Cronkite' ink.

But I did borrow a friend's Osmiroid pen with a calligraphy Italic nib - and that was inked with a Peacock Blue or Turquoise ink. I remember turning in Chem Lab Notes - got an 'A', the teacher said it looked so good that the results had to be correct & complete. (As if!)

I am glad you appreciate the Reviews, there are more inks out there.

Until later,

S1

I remember my teachers back in high school liked my using a turquoise ink.It was a dufferent colour for them to look at while checking papers than the blue that everyone else used.Another advantage to using the turquoise ink was that as I was the only one using it, if I forgot to put my name on a paper they all knew it was mine.

Wow! Beautiful color! Thanks for this excellent review!thumbup.gif

Hi,

Glad you appreciate the Review.

And I am enjoying this ink from my Red Parker 21-S : it is the colour of Summer 2010.

I think this started when I decided to have a vintage men's Hawaiian shirt tailored as a blouse to wear under my shredded leather cafe racer jacket. What to do??

L8R

S1

• 2 weeks later...

nice, as always! i like it! it looks dark enough for me to enjoy this turquoise ink. my fav is the PR naples blue (if one can put it in the turquoise category) and this one looks good.

thanx... again!!!

nice, as always! i like it! it looks dark enough for me to enjoy this turquoise ink. my fav is the PR naples blue (if one can put it in the turquoise category) and this one looks good.

thanx... again!!!

Hi,

I've been running it in the Red Super 21 since I did the Review. I don't think I'll be breaking that combo for some time to come. I like the ink even more now. WooHoo!

Bye,

S1

Never in all my years would I have believed I'd enjoy a turquoise ink. But Skrip Turquoise has found a summer home in a yellow Lamy Safari. Seems perfect for knock around use. Other turquoise inks reviewed seem too close in color to bother with another, especially as I have a half a bottle of Quink Turquoise. (I bought it "as is" half full about a dozen years ago and never cracked it. Still haven't opened it, in fact.)

Thank you for the most excellent review. I've never had anything but praise for Skrip and this selection is still up to Sheaffer's historically high standards for writing fluids.

• 10 months later...

I'm not normally one for thread necromancy, but after receiving a bottle of Sheaffer Turquoise today I felt the need to bring a little attention back to what seems to be an oft overlooked - and underrated - ink.

I've only tried this in one pen so far, but I'd say Sandy1 hit it right on with her review (as usual).

I'll echo her warning of it being a wetter ink; after using MB Midnight Blue (Blue-Black) in this particular pen, the Turquoise was wet enough that for a minute I thought there might be something wrong with the pen. It probably went from 4/10 to 9/10 on my arbitrary wetness scale.

It's a cheerful, bright color, and does seem to be quite well-behaved. Now I'm wondering why I bought that Edelstein Topaz in the same order. For the bottle, right? :rolleyes:

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

I'm not normally one for thread necromancy, but ...

snip

Now I'm wondering why I bought that Edelstein Topaz in the same order. For the bottle, right? :rolleyes:

Hi,

Oh, ink! Yes indeed, this one just keeps getting better. :happyberet:

Following your lead to indulge in thread necromancy, and to cross-thread with Edelstein Topaz:

• The bottle ...
    • "Gad Zooks man! Not even as functional as the 4001-series desk-top bottles!! Pelikan forgot to bring their 'A' game when doing this bottle. Eine Gruppe Dummköpfe, das nicht Füllfederhalter benutzen!
    • There is no label, rather a dog's dinner of four typefaces in two colours printed directly on the bottle."

[*]The ink, (remember ink?) ...

• "Classy but not yet a classic.
    • ... the rock solid performance profile, very satisfying writing experience and reasonable malleability elevate Edelstein Topaz well above pretenders."

B)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

I'm not normally one for thread necromancy, but after receiving a bottle of Sheaffer Turquoise today I felt the need to bring a little attention back to what seems to be an oft overlooked - and underrated - ink.

I've only tried this in one pen so far, but I'd say Sandy1 hit it right on with her review (as usual).

I'll echo her warning of it being a wetter ink; after using MB Midnight Blue (Blue-Black) in this particular pen, the Turquoise was wet enough that for a minute I thought there might be something wrong with the pen. It probably went from 4/10 to 9/10 on my arbitrary wetness scale.

It's a cheerful, bright color, and does seem to be quite well-behaved. Now I'm wondering why I bought that Edelstein Topaz in the same order. For the bottle, right? :rolleyes:

Skrip Turquoise is a really nice ink. I like using it in my Noodler's Flex Nib Creaper. :) When you have that much flow, it helps to have an ink that dries quick and looks nice. I used it for my cousin's wedding card & envelope, too.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Sandy,

If you haven't already, would you consider reviewing other Sheaffer Skrip inks? They seem to be a very nice bunch, sadly overlooked a bit! :notworthy1:

Gobblecup ~

I know that this has been said a million times, but I think it deserves another. Thank you so much for the wonderful reviews that you obviously put much time and care into. Many member benefit from your hard work, and you should know that it is people like you that keep my hope in humanity alive! :clap1: :notworthy1:

Sandy,

If you haven't already, would you consider reviewing other Sheaffer Skrip inks? They seem to be a very nice bunch, sadly overlooked a bit! :notworthy1:

Hi,

I've taken a wee look at their Blue as a One Of The Ten Blue inks, LINK . So it is compared to the other nine.

Also in comparison to Pilot Blue, LINK, and Cd'A Blue, LINK.

They're certainly 'on my list', but not so close to the top (alas).

Bye,

S1

I know that this has been said a million times, but I think it deserves another. Thank you so much for the wonderful reviews that you obviously put much time and care into. Many member benefit from your hard work, and you should know that it is people like you that keep my hope in humanity alive! :clap1: :notworthy1:

Hi,

Many thanks! I am flattered that you find my contribution so worthy. :blush:

Bye,

Sandy1

• 9 months later...

Hi,

To support ad hoc comparison to other inks of similar colour, I have revisited Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise to add more written samples. These samples use much the same layout, papers, pens and imaging method as my current reviews of Turquoise inks.

As always, should one feel that a separate Post or Topic is required to depict a certain aspect of an ink, your PM will be welcomed. While new scans can be accommodated in due course, creation of additional written material is quite unlikely.

-=-

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then ensure the FPN Theme is 'IP.Board Mobile'.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

IMG-thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Comparison%20Exemplars%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/th_1a859e88.jpg

Pens: L ➠ R: M200 + EF, TWSBI 530 + M, Notorious Pink Safari + B.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Comparison%20Exemplars%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/355a1971.jpg

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Comparison%20Exemplars%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/06d0dc58.jpg

Paper: Staples 20lb.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Comparison%20Exemplars%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/6f033d48.jpg

OTHER STUFF:

Smear/Dry Times.

Wet Tests. ☂

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Comparison%20Exemplars%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/3897921b.jpg

HiRes Images UNDERLINE

TWSBI on HPJ1124:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Comparison%20Exemplars%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/th_8e4c0f9e.jpg

NPS on Rhodia:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Comparison%20Exemplars%20-%20Sheaffer%20Turquoise/th_7fe56186.jpg

Comments:

• Bleed- show-through from the 530 on Staples 20lb was high - I would not use both sides of the sheet.
  • Other results are consistent with prior samples in the Review.

-30-

Edited by Sandy1