51 replies to this topic

#1 stevepoppers

stevepoppers

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:51

So, I enjoyed my foray into italic pens with my $6, Target-bought Pilot Plumix. Now I want something that I might actually enjoy using. Basically, medium everything. I found that I would enjoy a thicker line than this medium, but I see it's a Japanese nib, so a Western medium might satisfy me. I'd like it smooth, too. This one's all scratchy. Hopefully there's something near or less than $50.

Sorry for not doing my own market research. I just have no idea where to start.

#2 RobertJ

RobertJ

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:58

Do a search for LAMY. Or, buy a used/vintage pen for around $25.00/$35.00 and send it to Pendemonium ( or other nib master, cost varies) for a grind to an italic nib. Or, look at Esterbrook J pens with the advantage swapping all sorts of nib styles. Or, goto www.oscarbraunpens.com, look for the
Pelikan Blue demonstrator with Italic nib for $69.98. The Pelikan Italic writes quite wide. But you can't beat the price for an entry level
Pelikan with a Piston filler.

Edited by RobertJ, 27 May 2010 - 10:49.

#3 cclewis76

cclewis76

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:51

Never having used an Italic nib before, I recently bought a Lamy Studio with a 1.1 nib. All my other fountain pens have F or even EF nibs on them. What a joy that pen is! It's a very different writing experience. The Studio is about $50 and the nibs are interchangeable. Enjoy!
Do you like Thrillers? Read The El Morro Connection. You can find it on Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble.com in the ebook section. Soon it'll be available in hardcopy. It's written by C. Clayton Lewis. And that would be me. Let me warn you, don't start reading it the night before you have to get up early...

#4 Anes

Anes

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:24

Take a look at Pilot 78G with B and BB nib: cheap and solid product.

Best,
Anes

#5 TangleCrafts

TangleCrafts

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:30

I've been on an italic nib quest, myself. I've just tried a Lamy Nexx (because it has a more comfortable grip section than the Safari or AL-Star) with the 1.1i nib. It is the smoothest italic nib I have tried, but also has the least thick-thin definition (with the exception of the Sheafer Viewpoint, see below). If the Plumix line is too fine for you, you will find this is, too, so go for the Lamy 1.5 or 1.9, instead. It is also possible/probable that the line variation would be more apparent with the broader nibs.

The only other italics I have tried are even cheaper:

Manuscript calligraphy (comes in a set with at least 3 nib widths) - sharp definition, but scratchy to write with, and horrible bumpy plastic grip section);

Parker Vector (comes in a set with at least 3 nib widths) - this is a smooth writer. The definition is not quite as sharp as the Manuscript or Pluminix but it still has good clarity. The fine is not quite as fine as the Pluminix, but you would probably want the medium or broad nib. I heard a rumour that the nib can be exchanged with the Parker Profile and Reflex pens but this has as yet proved to be unfounded. I'm hoping someone might jump in with a how-to, though, as the Vector is too narrow to hold comfortably (for me) but the others might not be.

Pelikan Script 1.0 - broader than the Lamy 1.1, with far better definition; I just find this one uncomfortable after writing a few pages). It also comes in a 1.5mm & 2.0mm nib.

Sheaffer Viewpoint fine italic - this has a distinctly broad stroke, despite being labelled fine nib, but this is coupled with a lack of clarity. Definitely least favourite!

Edited by TangleCrafts, 27 May 2010 - 11:33.

...I have inky little fingers...

#6 Dr Lopez

Dr Lopez

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:41

I would recommend lamy safari with 1.1 or 1.5 italic nib depending on the size of your writing. It is a cheap and nice entry model, It gets it share of time with me despite I have many expensive pens.
In my current rotation:
Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles
Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black
Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood
Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green
Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue
Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

#7 SkooterNB

SkooterNB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 13:31

I would recommend lamy safari with 1.1 or 1.5 italic nib depending on the size of your writing. It is a cheap and nice entry model, It gets it share of time with me despite I have many expensive pens.

+1

#8 HelzBelz

HelzBelz

Passionate about Pelikans, dizzy for Diamine

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 14:23

+ 2. To be honest, with the exception of my custom Binder italics (which I very strongly recommend), the Pluminix has the best italic nib I've come across, and certainly the best cheap one. The Lamy 1.1 offers slightly less line width variation, or at least mine does, but it's still a good writer, and comes in under your $50 budget. Of other cheap ones, the finest Vector italic isn't bad, though.
Inked: Pelikan 400nn, Pilot VP, Pelikan M400, Pelikan M200, Pelikan 400, Pelikan M101n, Esterbrook SJ
| <a href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/27410410@N05/>Flickr</a>

#9 Julio

Julio

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2010 - 16:55

Visit, "I sellPen" site and you will find an "inexpensive" good quality pen with the proper nib at your or near price.

#10 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2010 - 16:59

I quite like the Lamy 1.1 as well - it doesn't offer as much line variation as some, but it's still enough to look nice and it's smooth enough to be good for everyday writing. If you're looking for something with more variation, though, you might want to try the Lamy 1.5 or the Pilot Parallel 1.5.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#11 Feanor

Feanor

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 18:14

Pelikan Script. I've been disappointed with the line variation on my Vista 1.5.

#12 Randal6393

Randal6393

Granddaugter is great!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2010 - 21:08

Love the Lamy pens with 1.1 or 1.5 mm italic nibs. Recommend reading about reshaping the tip of an italic nib -- sooner or later, one will get "roughed up" and will need a bit of smoothing or realigning to restore to its former greatness.

A nib that is a bit scratchy or doesn't quite perform well may be resuscitated/restored easily. Think that every user of fountain pens should know at least the basics of working on a fountain pen.

Best of luck to you, may you find that perfect italic nib soon.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#13 SimonJamesLucas

SimonJamesLucas

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2010 - 21:36

I like the old screw top Sheaffer Nononsense pens with the American made italic nibs and my wife swears by hers, the only pen she uses.

Osmiroids used to be good too until Berol killed them but they can still be found on Fleabay if you shop around.

Manuscript make a huge range of great italic nibs too but then spoil things by putting them into one of the nastiest fountain pen bodies I´ve come across. However, these nibs will also fit the Classic American Style Flat Top kit pens with just a small amount of fettling at the end of the thread and then hey presto, one rather smart italic pen. I have an English Oak one that I run like this once in a while.

#14 stevepoppers

stevepoppers

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 23:54

Wow! So many great answers. I've got a lot of research to do now. Thanks so much!

#15 stevepoppers

stevepoppers

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 00:56

+ 2. To be honest, with the exception of my custom Binder italics (which I very strongly recommend), the Pluminix has the best italic nib I've come across, and certainly the best cheap one. The Lamy 1.1 offers slightly less line width variation, or at least mine does, but it's still a good writer, and comes in under your $50 budget. Of other cheap ones, the finest Vector italic isn't bad, though.

I looked up the Pluminix and it looks nicer than what I've got. Mine's a Plumix. They're similar, but the reviews for the Pluminix I saw looked better. Plus it won't take a converter. I'm looking at the Lamy Safari because of the multiple recommendations for it. It seems really well liked and certainly a good start. I'm wondering what ink to use because I also know nothing about that!

#16 sotto2

sotto2

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:09

Waterman Deep Ocean Blue in my Lamy Safari 1.1 italic nib is a nice eye-popper, IMHO. This nib doesn't give a very striking line variation on Clairefontaine paper, but it will on the cheaper paper we use at work. (Edit 5/27/10: Sorry this ink color is Waterman's South Seas Blue rather than Deep Ocean Blue.)

With Clairefontaine paper:

Posted Image

And here is the same pen and nib with my work paper:

Posted Image

Edited by sotto2, 28 May 2010 - 23:43.

ekfh5f.jpg

#17 calvin82

calvin82

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:14

Sheaffer Viewpoint/no nonsense Calligrapher (old model) would be a great choice for beginner. Im always use this pen for greeting card and diary writing and it turns out to be very good result. Its screw type cap is good enough to prevent the ink from drying up even keep for some time. Its great value for money too.

#18 Zenas

Zenas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:37

Love the Lamy pens with 1.1 or 1.5 mm italic nibs. Recommend reading about reshaping the tip of an italic nib -- sooner or later, one will get "roughed up" and will need a bit of smoothing or realigning to restore to its former greatness.

A nib that is a bit scratchy or doesn't quite perform well may be resuscitated/restored easily. Think that every user of fountain pens should know at least the basics of working on a fountain pen.

Best of luck to you, may you find that perfect italic nib soon.

Well this thread convinced me to buy a Lamy Al-Star 22 FP Coffee 1.1i from the writing desk (no affiliation)just a few minutes ago. Does that mean I can fairly blame my fellow FPNers on this thread for expanding my FP desires? What will I tell my wife?
"The rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God."
-- President John F. Kennedy, Jan. 20, 1961

"As government expands, liberty contracts."
--President Ronald Reagan--Farewell Address to the Nation Oval Office, January 11, 1989

#19 sotto2

sotto2

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,013 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:04

Good on ya', Zenas. :-)

ekfh5f.jpg

#20 Julio

Julio

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:48

I have a hand grinded italic nib pen, do not know the name, but very excellent looking pen. I will pass it to you fort 15 postage included if in the US.

#21 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,033 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:32

Hi,

For a pen that you may actually find useful for normal writing, not calligraphy, take a look at the Pendemonium site. There is a selection of Pens & Custom Nibs. You might well take a look at Item CG-1648D.

I bought a Sheaffer with a custom nib from them quite some time ago, and it has become a favourite. A lot more of a 'real deal' that the Lamy, Pilot (which I tried then gave away) or likely most other over-the-counter offerings.

Bye,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#22 dnb

dnb

A-dippeded

• Member - Gold

• 1,034 posts
  • Location:Halfway between where they claim the sun rises and from whence it really rises. Well, for us, anyway... (OK, Honolulu)
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:36

[quote name='SkooterNB' date='27 May 2010 - 03:31 AM' timestamp='1274967072' post='1557319']
[quote name='Dr Lopez' date='27 May 2010 - 06:41 AM' timestamp='1274960517' post='1557244']
[/quote]

+3
What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

#23 medici

medici

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:54

Depending on what you use your pen for, you might also consider a set of dip pen nibs. Brause makes killer crisp (calligraphy) italic nibs -- I love them!

For fountain pens, I agree with all of the Lamy Safari suggestions - great pens at great prices.

Edited by medici, 28 May 2010 - 06:58.

#24 oldstoat

oldstoat

Just plain contrary

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:59

+1 on the Pilot 78G stub. Speerbob. well-known and well-respected here has some.
I flunked my metaphysics exam. I was caught gazing into the soul of the guy next to me Woody Allen

Posted Image

#25 TangleCrafts

TangleCrafts

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:59

Great, another to add to my wishlist.  Thanks... :(
...I have inky little fingers...

#26 jBeckett

jBeckett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:31

I just bought a 78G broad stub from Speerbob, why? Because I didn't have one in red, but now I do and that's awesome.

#27 physicsgirl

physicsgirl

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2010 - 19:06

I have the Hero calligraphy set it has 1.1, 1.5., and 1.9 nibs. I got mine for ~$12, and it is a really great pen set.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#28 ehebert

ehebert

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 23:01

I have also been looking at italic nibs, so I found this thread very helpful! One pen that I am surprised nobody has mentioned yet is the Pilot Parallel pen (available in 1.5, 2.4, 3.8 & 6.0). Jetpens has great reviews and writing samples of the cool color-changing effect when you use two pens. However, Amazon has them for around $8 and change.

#29 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:30

Do a search for LAMY. Or, buy a used/vintage pen for around $25.00/$35.00 and send it to Pendemonium ( or other nib master, cost varies) for a grind to an italic nib. Or, look at Esterbrook J pens with the advantage swapping all sorts of nib styles. Or, goto www.oscarbraunpens.com, look for the
Pelikan Blue demonstrator with Italic nib for $69.98. The Pelikan Italic writes quite wide. But you can't beat the price for an entry level
Pelikan with a Piston filler.

I bought a three-dollar Stypen, clipped it with a nail scissors, smoothed it with nail files and buffers.

And it writes REALLY well. I can hardly believe it myself.

#30 stine4115

stine4115

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:56

Try "Isellpens". They have a HERO brand caligraphy pen for a very good price. I have one and it writes very smoothly.