Montblanc 147 Traveller

mackthepen

Are the MB cartridges the same inks as in bottles?

Different inks for MB carts vs. bottles... http://refills.montblanc.com/

BOOOOOOO! Are any of the MB cartridges permanent?

I do not think so. It might not be a good idea to fill cartridges with permanent ink... could lead to a plugged feed, if you are not careful

Matt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Niskayuna55

• omarcenaro

• meiers

• Dimitrios_P

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wanted to ask if the 147 is in anyway more prone to leaking than the 146 or 149's are?

A

Anyone?

I don't think so. The Traveller was designed to be leak-proof during air travel. This is the time and place where piston pens are most apt to leak. However, I have not had any trouble with plane leakage from my LeGrand pens at all, so I'm not sure I'm getting any benefit from owning a traveller. I like mine a lot. It came with a Medium Nib, but I had it switched out to an Extra Fine, to match most all of my other Montblanc pens. I have quite a few Le Grand (146) pens, but alas, have not yet taken the 149 plunge. Painfully close, I must say. Like within 3 weeks, close.

The Nib is a very wet writer, but very stiff. I had no idea what people were talking about here on Fountain Pen Network when they would refer to "flex" because all I owned were Montblanc pens. A couple weeks ago, I bought two Monte Rosa pens with 14 K nibs (separately) on eBay and had a "Holy Sh**t" Moment. I finally discovered what FLEX was. I now can write Copperplate calligraphy beautifully. Yes, the Meisterstuck Nibs are beautiful pieces of art, but are VERY stiff. Minor to no flex.

Hope this helps-

Love,

Joe

Something I'd be interested to know is, how many cartridges' worth of ink does the 146 hold?

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Something I'd be interested to know is, how many cartridges' worth of ink does the 146 hold?

... depends on the piston — brass telescope or plastic, 50th or 70th and up. For the plastic piston models it's 4-5 I guess. (I don't use cartridges)

Axel

Edited by penparadise
Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

Owning both the 146 and 147 I would hazard a guess that the 146 holds the equivalency of 8 to 10 cartridges.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• 1 year later...

I wanted to ask if the 147 is in anyway more prone to leaking than the 146 or 149's are?

A

Anyone?

Will leak only if you drop the pen on the floor like all pens.

"Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune."

Plato (Greek philosopher 428-348 B.C.)

I love my 147. I syringe fill one of the carts and enjoy knowing that the spare is ready in case I run dry while I'm away from my office.

Agree.

Buying cartridges is not good due to limitation in colors. I the syringe filling too as well.

"Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune."

Is there a converter that would fit/work in the 147, or is it pretty much converter-proof?

Convertor proof. The carriage that holds the cartridges also has the end cap on it so its all integral

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Is there a converter that would fit/work in the 147, or is it pretty much converter-proof?

From what I now the 147 will not take a converter. :gaah:

Very true! :bawl:

I have recently acquired a Montblanc 147 at a local live auction, and wonder whether anyone can shed anymore light on it?

It is imprinted with the serial number BP1148835 - does this give any indication of age?

I have found the nib smooth and wet, but very very firm - is this typical of a Montblanc nib?

Anything else interesting about this model?

I am not yet sure whether this will be a pen that I keep for the long term. Straight off it writes as well (and in many cases better) than my other pens, but somehow I find my Pelikan M800 preferable, but experience tells me that I'll need to live with it for a while to see how I get on with it.

Andrew

MB pens are like fine classical guitars. Its getting better and better every time you using it. The tricky part is what size are your fingers and what nib you will choose.

I prefer F with 147 and M with 149 due to oversize body. I will suggest to keep the 147 and think again after many months of writing. Give it a chance and you may think differently after that period of time.

For me the 147 and Sailor 1911 full size is the absolute work horses of my life (Sailor come recently). They have the perfect size/fit to be used and for me abused every single moment at the office, when traveling and on my everyday move.

Enjoy it!

I just received my 147 the other day. It is a factory OM nib and I really like it. I am currently using the Oyster Grey cartridges with the pen. I bought it for use when I travel for work.

Smith Premier No. 4

A

Recent travel to Lanzarote with Air Bus A 320 at 35,000 feet, my MB 147 did not leak through out the flight. I tested during ascend, mid flight and during descent and not even a single drop of ink leak even at the tip of the gold cartridge holder. I can assure you that 147 is a fantastic Montblanc pen. I really love that pen. Cheers. Htin

Edited by draeroheli

Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour 2001 LE 0043/4810.

Donation SE John Lennon Imagine FP (M) Nib Serial No.BW195873

Donation LE Johann Sebastian Bach 2001(M) Nib. serial no. 2892/12000.

Donation SE Yehudi Menuhin No 3772 (EF)Nib

Writers Limited Edition Mark Twain 2010(M)Nib. serial no.3633/12000.

1985 Meisterstuck 149(EF) & Modern149(OB), 147 Traveler (M) Sp.Edition 1970-1995 Warner Bros Music Artist 146 (M). Mozart (F). 144 Stainless Steel Doue (M), Le Boherme Rouge(M)

I have one in my pocket right now. I picked it up off ebay, and it came in with a damaged nib. I contacted the seller and he agreed to cover cost of repair plus a bit for my trouble and cost to get to post office so I sent to Michael Masuyama. It came back better than some of the newer Montblanc's that I have. No leaking problems at all.

Regards

Jeff

I get the sense that the airplane leaking issues are a remnant of the past. Few non-leaking pens on the ground manufactured recently-ish will have any real trouble in the air.

• 9 years later...

Just purchased a Montblanc 147 from eBay......... the pen will need some cleaning, but the price was right.  I am very much looking forward to writing with it for the first time.  It has a Fine nib and I understand that Montblanc pens usually write a little wider that their nib designations.  Anyway, I would like to find the leather case made for this model as my purchase was for the pen only. 

I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction to possibly find one of the cases that was originally made for this pen !

On 2/26/2021 at 8:58 AM, Niskayuna55 said:

Just purchased a Montblanc 147 from eBay......... the pen will need some cleaning, but the price was right.  I am very much looking forward to writing with it for the first time.  It has a Fine nib and I understand that Montblanc pens usually write a little wider that their nib designations.  Anyway, I would like to find the leather case made for this model as my purchase was for the pen only. 

I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction to possibly find one of the cases that was originally made for this pen !

You will enjoy the 147, I Love my mine. The case was one of the selling points when I got it and have used it often. I believe MB stopped making the case when the 147 was discontinued so not too many single cases out there.

Here is a reasonably price ($125) one currently for sale I found. Remember that new this case would have cost over a hundred dollars. Hope you get one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Montblanc-Leather-Travel-Pen-Case-for-M147-Le-Grand-Traveler-Fountain-Pen-Cart/254875812917?hash=item3b57c84435:g:ClYAAOSw55dgMr~Y

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

1 hour ago, omarcenaro said:

You will enjoy the 147, I Love my mine. The case was one of the selling points when I got it and have used it often. I believe MB stopped making the case when the 147 was discontinued so not too many single cases out there.

Here is a reasonably price ($125) one currently for sale I found. Remember that new this case would have cost over a hundred dollars. Hope you get one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Montblanc-Leather-Travel-Pen-Case-for-M147-Le-Grand-Traveler-Fountain-Pen-Cart/254875812917?hash=item3b57c84435:g:ClYAAOSw55dgMr~Y

Thank you so much for the "heads up" on a leather case for my MontBlanc 147.  I will look closely at these two options !

A couple more questions concerning the MB 147 ;

1) What are the dimensions of this pen ?  I've gotten mixed information on this !

2) I've read this pen will accept short International ink cartridges......Is the true ?