#1 mackthepen

mackthepen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2010 - 13:35

I have recently acquired a Montblanc 147 at a local live auction, and wonder whether anyone can shed anymore light on it?

It is imprinted with the serial number BP1148835 - does this give any indication of age?

I have found the nib smooth and wet, but very very firm - is this typical of a Montblanc nib?

Anything else interesting about this model?

I am not yet sure whether this will be a pen that I keep for the long term. Straight off it writes as well (and in many cases better) than my other pens, but somehow I find my Pelikan M800 preferable, but experience tells me that I'll need to live with it for a while to see how I get on with it.

Andrew
Most of my posts are edited - it's because I'm a sloppy typist.

#2 Izzy

Izzy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2010 - 13:40

I have recently acquired a Montblanc 147 at a local live auction, and wonder whether anyone can shed anymore light on it?

It is imprinted with the serial number BP1148835 - does this give any indication of age?

I have found the nib smooth and wet, but very very firm - is this typical of a Montblanc nib?

I am not yet sure whether this will be a pen that I keep for the long term. Straight off it writes as well (and in many cases better) than my other pens, but somehow I find my Pelikan M800 preferable, but experience tells me that I'll need to live with it for a while to see how I get on with it.

Andrew

I also have the 147 Traveller, it is one of my favourite writers and is nearly always in my rotation at least 3 times a week.

A very nice 'go to' pen. :)

Hope you find many hours of enjoyment with it.

Kind regards
NIGEL
NIGEL
Exploding Ink Maestro

Pens: Caran d'Ache Leman Godron, Lamy Safari, Italix Parsons Essential
Posted Image

#3 mackthepen

mackthepen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2010 - 13:49

Thanks for your comments Nigel.

Actually when I say a "local auction" it was strictly speaking local to you rather than to me - as I was passing through Lewes last week!

Andrew
Most of my posts are edited - it's because I'm a sloppy typist.

#4 Izzy

Izzy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2010 - 14:26

Small world, I'm headed off to Lewes in about half hour :ltcapd:
NIGEL
Exploding Ink Maestro

Pens: Caran d'Ache Leman Godron, Lamy Safari, Italix Parsons Essential
Posted Image

#5 vettebandit

vettebandit

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 23:25

Andrew

I also have the 147 Traveller, it is one of my favourite writers and is nearly always in my rotation at least 3 times a week.

A very nice 'go to' pen. :)

Hope you find many hours of enjoyment with it.

Kind regards
NIGEL

I too am a big 147 fan - I have a F nib and and M nib that both see a lot of use. I really like the pen and while many do not like the cartridge pens I happen to be a big fan - especially because I travel a lot.

Enjoy your new 147!

Edited by vettebandit, 25 May 2010 - 18:01.

He who is wise never tries to revise what's past and gone....

#6 inkyfingr

inkyfingr

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:05

I love my 147. I syringe fill one of the carts and enjoy knowing that the spare is ready in case I run dry while I'm away from my office.

#7 Aperture

Aperture

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:24

I wanted to ask if the 147 is in anyway more prone to leaking than the 146 or 149's are?

A

#8 The Dude

The Dude

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:14

Are the MB cartridges the same inks as in bottles? I mostly ask because I want to know if blue-black is a permanent iron gall ink because I need a cartridge filled, permanent ink for work and am picking up a 147 for the job. I know I can just refill cartridges, but I dont want to have to refill cartridges too much, I already do that enough for my vanishing point. How many times is too many to fill a single cartridge in terms of stretching out the mouth and risking leakage?
'The brave may not live forever, but the cautious never live at all.'

#9 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:28

Is there a converter that would fit/work in the 147, or is it pretty much converter-proof?
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#10 razr

razr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:34

Are the MB cartridges the same inks as in bottles?

Different inks for MB carts vs. bottles... http://refills.montblanc.com/

#11 razr

razr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:35

Is there a converter that would fit/work in the 147, or is it pretty much converter-proof?

From what I now the 147 will not take a converter. :gaah:

#12 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:45

Bleh. On the plus side, Montblanc is probably my favorite ink brand anyway, but paying the extra for cartridges would gall me. I guess there's always the ol' syringe trick.
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#13 The Dude

The Dude

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 21:21

BOOOOOOO! Are any of the MB cartridges permanent?
'The brave may not live forever, but the cautious never live at all.'

#14 razr

razr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2010 - 21:36

Bleh. On the plus side, Montblanc is probably my favorite ink brand anyway, but paying the extra for cartridges would gall me.

...ha ha, you said "gall" :roflmho:

#15 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2010 - 21:44

Bleh. On the plus side, Montblanc is probably my favorite ink brand anyway, but paying the extra for cartridges would gall me.

...ha ha, you said "gall" :roflmho:

...but not iron gall me, because the iron gall B-B isn't available in cartridges. :P
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

#16 Aperture

Aperture

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2010 - 00:21

I wanted to ask if the 147 is in anyway more prone to leaking than the 146 or 149's are?
A

Anyone?

#17 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 00:47

I have to say that my 147 is one of my two favorite pens! And it does travel well!

Writes very smoothly and predictably even on inferior papers. I can write pages of journal entries without becoming weary.

Just the right size and you gotta love that leather fold over case with the storage for cartridges.

My MB 147 Traveler traveling with me in London last year!

Posted Image

Edited by Bisquitlips, 26 May 2010 - 00:48.

#18 Mr Blifil

Mr Blifil

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:38

Some questions about the traveller, please.

What makes it a traveller? The case? The cartridge fill, safer for travel on airliners and jouncing around in general?

Is it the same pen as the 144? the 146? If not, what are the differences?

What makes it worth the extra money?--On ebay a premium of hundreds. Rarity?

Is the pen labeled "Traveller" somewhere?

Thanks.

Edited by Mr Blifil, 18 July 2010 - 09:46.

"That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field--ease of use." Jack White, in It Might Get Loud

#19 BarryLee

BarryLee

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 21:46

The pen is the same size as the 146. The Traveler utilizes cartridges instead of a piston reservoir. The pen actually holds an extra cartridge in the barrel, and comes with a case which holds the pen and six spare cartridges. I suppose the use of cartridges and the supplied case is what makes it a Traveler.

As far as cost goes I suppose the extra cost of the leather case would add to the bottom line, but it should not be that much. I would guess there are more 146 models in the world, so maybe they are limited in the auction market. However, I think MB still sells them new, so they can be found.

Edited by BarryLee, 19 July 2010 - 21:49.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman

#20 Mr Blifil

Mr Blifil

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:41

Thank you. I have a cartridge-fill 144 on the way to be used as a travel pen. It's small, and though I don't usually post, I think by posting it will work for me. Since my hands are quite large the 149 is perfect; unposted the 146 is marginal. I don't like the balance of either of those pens posted, but I think the 144 posted might be all right. I think a compact pen is appropriate for travel, though it certainly isn't a big issue. And, there are many ways to carry extra cartridges.

The pen is the same size as the 146. The Traveler utilizes cartridges instead of a piston reservoir. The pen actually holds an extra cartridge in the barrel, and comes with a case which holds the pen and six spare cartridges. I suppose the use of cartridges and the supplied case is what makes it a Traveler.

As far as cost goes I suppose the extra cost of the leather case would add to the bottom line, but it should not be that much. I would guess there are more 146 models in the world, so maybe they are limited in the auction market. However, I think MB still sells them new, so they can be found.

"That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field--ease of use." Jack White, in It Might Get Loud

#21 meiers

meiers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:45

BOOOOOOO! Are any of the MB cartridges permanent?

I do not think so. It might not be a good idea to fill cartridges with permanent ink... could lead to a plugged feed, if you are not careful

Matt

#22 josephfabry

josephfabry

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 13:20

A

Anyone?

I don't think so. The Traveller was designed to be leak-proof during air travel. This is the time and place where piston pens are most apt to leak. However, I have not had any trouble with plane leakage from my LeGrand pens at all, so I'm not sure I'm getting any benefit from owning a traveller. I like mine a lot. It came with a Medium Nib, but I had it switched out to an Extra Fine, to match most all of my other Montblanc pens. I have quite a few Le Grand (146) pens, but alas, have not yet taken the 149 plunge. Painfully close, I must say. Like within 3 weeks, close.

The Nib is a very wet writer, but very stiff. I had no idea what people were talking about here on Fountain Pen Network when they would refer to "flex" because all I owned were Montblanc pens. A couple weeks ago, I bought two Monte Rosa pens with 14 K nibs (separately) on eBay and had a "Holy Sh**t" Moment. I finally discovered what FLEX was. I now can write Copperplate calligraphy beautifully. Yes, the Meisterstuck Nibs are beautiful pieces of art, but are VERY stiff. Minor to no flex.

Hope this helps-

Love,

Joe

#23 soapytwist

soapytwist

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 913 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 13:27

Something I'd be interested to know is, how many cartridges' worth of ink does the 146 hold?
"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

#24 penparadise

penparadise

- - - - - - - - - - - -

• Member - Gold

• 1,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:57

Something I'd be interested to know is, how many cartridges' worth of ink does the 146 hold?

... depends on the piston — brass telescope or plastic, 50th or 70th and up. For the plastic piston models it's 4-5 I guess. (I don't use cartridges)

Axel

Edited by penparadise, 21 July 2010 - 08:59.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968
collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

#25 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• Member - Gold

• 975 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 17:40

Owning both the 146 and 147 I would hazard a guess that the 146 holds the equivalency of 8 to 10 cartridges.

#26 Dimitrios_P

Dimitrios_P

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 15:36

A

Anyone?

Will leak only if you drop the pen on the floor like all pens.
"Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune."

Plato (Greek philosopher 428-348 B.C.)

#27 Dimitrios_P

Dimitrios_P

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 15:38

I love my 147. I syringe fill one of the carts and enjoy knowing that the spare is ready in case I run dry while I'm away from my office.

Agree.

Buying cartridges is not good due to limitation in colors. I the syringe filling too as well.
"Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune."

#28 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 5,452 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 15:38

Convertor proof. The carriage that holds the cartridges also has the end cap on it so its all integral

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#29 Dimitrios_P

Dimitrios_P

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 15:40

Very true! :bawl:

#30 Dimitrios_P

Dimitrios_P

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 15:57

Andrew

MB pens are like fine classical guitars. Its getting better and better every time you using it. The tricky part is what size are your fingers and what nib you will choose.

I prefer F with 147 and M with 149 due to oversize body. I will suggest to keep the 147 and think again after many months of writing. Give it a chance and you may think differently after that period of time.

For me the 147 and Sailor 1911 full size is the absolute work horses of my life (Sailor come recently). They have the perfect size/fit to be used and for me abused every single moment at the office, when traveling and on my everyday move.

Enjoy it!