Pens and the TSA

captainkeytar

I also fly way too much for my job, and have never had issue with my pens. The closest to a pen issue was I had a laser pointer in my carry on and TSA asked to see it. No hassle, no fuss, I'm guessing it looked questionable on the x-ray machine and they needed to investigate. Like many others have said, I always put my pens in my carry on bag (in a leather pen case) when I go through security. I also put my watch, belt, smart phone and wallet in the carry on. My thought is the TSA employees have a tough job, it can be stressful, they aren't in the list of top 10 highest paying careers, so, I should do my part to make their job a bit easier.

French

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• voop

• ethernautrix

• jBeckett

• Roaster

I flew several times back and forth to San Jose Costa Rica with a Tombo Zoom 980 with out comment or problem. I did however get asked to see the ink cartridges I was using because they did not know what they were at first glance.

When going on a journey always take your pen.

Around Christmas, right after the guy tried to explode his pants, I've seen the TSA in Boston confiscate a "tactical" pen, declaring it a stabbing device, but these are marketed as self-defense weapons. My Rotring 600 went through fine.

Hang on, you mean my Rotring 600 isn't a stabbing device?

and another TSA agent wheeled over a box-like thing with a small hole at the top, and the first TSA agent pushed one of the Danitrios in it, and it was a pen shredder

No problem here. My Rotring 600 broke the pen shredder.

Excuse me for being argumentative but why would I carry a picture of my daughter in a bikini around, let alone a physical copy of said picture?

For the TSA agents to enjoy, obviously. Is she holding a Rotring 600?

“As we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came, and God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind.”Gene Cernan, 14 December 1972

Never had a problem.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

i fly every week at least 4 flights, and i've only had a pen inspected once. the guy took the cap off and confirmed that it was a fountain pen, then handed it to me. i keep my pen in my shirt pocket and it will not trip off the metal detector either.

in fact, most people take far too much off of their bodies when they go through security. i take off my shoes and cell phone, and that's it. i have never taken off my belt or the change out of my pocket. cell phones and ipods will trip it every time, but belts don't if they are just basic leather belts.

just doing my part to speed up security. don't disrobe, people!!

but belts don't if they are just basic leather belts.

depends on how they've got the sensitivity set. I have had belts set the things off, and the patdown is even more obnoxious than the partial disrobing. don't get me started on the shoes.

Excuse me for being argumentative but why would I carry a picture of my daughter in a bikini around, let alone a physical copy of said picture?

True - but pretty soon, with mm-wave full-body scanners, you won't have to carry a picture around of your daughter in a bikini, for the TSA clowns to "enjoy the diversion" that she brings, at least if you travel together-- and this time out of view of the general public.

Anyway, their jobs are extremely tedious and boring. I doubt they see someone carrying a collection of fountain pens around with them very often. If you feel like this kind of thing violates your personal space or rights or really just makes you feel uncomfortable you can calmly protest.

We're standing on top of a very slippery slope, my friend, and I really really want to avoid sliding down -- only by objecting at the "little things" can that be prevented. I am saddened to see that so many are unwilling to object.

But, I think that I shall refrain from further postings on this topic, at least outside of chatter, as this decidedly has nothing to do with FPs or the like.

i fly every week at least 4 flights, and i've only had a pen inspected once. the guy took the cap off and confirmed that it was a fountain pen, then handed it to me. i keep my pen in my shirt pocket and it will not trip off the metal detector either.

in fact, most people take far too much off of their bodies when they go through security. i take off my shoes and cell phone, and that's it. i have never taken off my belt or the change out of my pocket. cell phones and ipods will trip it every time, but belts don't if they are just basic leather belts.

just doing my part to speed up security. don't disrobe, people!!

Tell that to the TSA barker at IAD, yelling at people with leather belts with carbon-fibre buckles to "all shoes, belts, glasses (!) must go through the metal detector". Or, to his identical twin at BWI. Or to their identical twins all over. And when you're at it, do tell them that their x-ray machines do not detect plastic explosives either...

I'm telling y'all, within the next generation the only flying that will happen will be with passengers naked, handcuffed and under general anesthetic..........

I fly (intra-California) once a week. I carry three our four pens in my carry-on, and have never had an issue.

Only once did anyone even mention the pens. The TSA scanner woman said something about, 'oh, calligraphy, eh?' and I just smiled politely and agreed.

I intentionally don't bring all-metal pens when I fly, just to reduce the number of false alarms and questions.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

While it is great (and frankly, surprising) that there's one TSA clown who knows what "writing" means, there is all sort of things wrong with TSA clowns exhibiting the personal property of the people they "screen" for other TSA clowns personal satisfaction/enjoyment.

I believe the TSA guy asked me if I minded. I don't remember, because it wasn't traumatic. I believe the exchange went something like this: There was something questionable in my luggage, and when the TSA guy opened the case, he saw the pens and made a comment (sounding like awe to me) and asked if I would mind if he showed them to his TSA buddy, and I probably said, "Sure, go ahead," and then his buddy glanced at the pens and wasn't as impressed as he should have been. Things were put back, and I moved out of the line to put my shoes back on where chairs were set up for this purpose.

Just wait until the mm-wave full-body-scanners hit the airports, and wait for TSA clowns to call for their colleagues when there are naked scans of passengers they "would enjoy".

Um, the full-body scan isn't in use yet? Then what was that guy do--oh! That explains the cameras!

Seriously, though, I probably won't fly if full-body scanners are implemented. All these other measures are panaceas, red herrings, distractions, and fake reassurance. I'm being jokey about the full-body scanners, but I'm against them, and I do not trust the human factor to honor privacy. Those scans will end up on the Internet. One person might get fired. But, no... if this country can't handle topless beaches or a "fashion malfunction" at halftime, how can it handle full-body scans? Come on! This country is schizophrenic.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Never had a problem, not with pens, cameras (I often have several with me, and vintage ones at that that are strange, Minox in particular, shoes, phones, etc.

I just dump them in the tray and run them through with my computer, etc.

On the other hand, my mother carried in a nail file/scissor set that looked like a pocket knife, and that held us up for quite a while until the TSA guy got it open.

And, when Mom "lost" her cell phone on that trip under the hinged bottom of her carryon bag and I called TSA to see if she'd lost it, they contacted all the airlines, Detroit, and Washington Nation airports to check for me to see if it had been lost there. Can't complain, in fact, since Mom now travels with two replaced knees, a replacement hip, and a walker!

Peter

I have mixed emotions regarding the TSA. They may not be the most professional but do you want your taxes increased to get more professional employees? I understand the need to enact laws to make the public feel better, effective or not. I believe that there were many knee jerk procedures enacted. However, I cannot help but feel some were foolish and expensive.

I cannot in good conscience condemn or condone the government as I am one of its minions. Yet as a man well in his middle age...I feel a responsibility to complain!

I believe that every citizen has the responsibility to stop any hijacking even sacrificing their life in the process.

Writing with a nice Italic pen is a new hobby for me. I plan to take one on the plane the next time I fly to work on my penmanship.

I do wonder how the body scans will turn out. I do not fear them personally. Yet I cannot imagine my bashful wife going through one.

i'll be flying off on wed and i'm thinking of bringing my fountain pens with me instead of in the check-in luggages. just wondering if anyone has any problems with leaking inks when the plane is in the air?

Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

In March, a TSA rep had a wonderful time searching my laptop bag because, as he put it, "You have a lot of pens in here." I stood there and laughed to myself as he rifled through my bag and using his wand-tool with the attachable pad, wiping things and checking for who knows what. While holding my laptop, I watched my pens like a hawk but was careful not to touch anything lest he become agitated. Since I was off to a conference and since I like to write a lot anyway, I did have two pen cases containing, probably, ten pens. While he admired the pens, they were all safely returned to me without incident. The pens, the owner (that's me!), and her laptop made it from Boston to Chicago and back again, safely and without incident -- well, other than being searched on the way back. However, the search on the way back was not due to pens but rather due to my having two too many bars of soap in my suitcase! (Never buy extra soap that you find in a gift shop! LOL!) So, out of Boston, my laptop bag was search due to my having too many pens, and out of Chicago, my carry-on bag was searched since I had two extra bars of soap: extra pens are not fine if you are leaving Boston but they are fine if you are leaving Chicago! LOL!

Hello all,

I recently became the proud owner of a Pilot M90. A wonderful pen, made almost exclusively out of stainless steel. Showing it to a friend, he asked a question to which I didn't have the answer:

Will they let me through airport security with this pen in my pocket?

In this particular pen, the nib is integrated with the body and it looks like it would hurt quite a bit when used as a stabbing weapon. (Though, why anyone would want to use a fine pen like this as a weapon is beyond me.) Aside from the Pilot M90, there's several other pens that are mostly all metal.

In any case, have any one of you experienced trouble getting through airport security with metal pens?

I've read about air travel troubles caused by pressure changes and ink cartridges ~ shudder ~, but I was wondering about the security check aspect of this problem specifically. I'd hate to bring this pen along in unchecked luggage, only to have to leave it behind....

Thanks!

I just got back from a trip to Moscow with my M90 and didn't have any problems at any of the security checkpoints I had to go through. I've also flown with my all-stainless Retro 51 Tornado without incident. Interestingly (but perhaps not surprisingly), the Russians are a little less picky with some of the security procedures: for example, I didn't have to take my laptop out of my bag like I do in the States.

Can't believe no-one has gone here yet...

True, This!

Beneath the rule of men entirely great,

The pen is mightier than the sword. Behold

The arch-enchanters wand! itself a nothing!

But taking sorcery from the master-hand

To paralyse the Cæsars, and to strike

The loud earth breathless! Take away the sword

States can be saved without it!

- Edward Bulwer-Lytton, 1839, Richelieu

Now, I'm going on record to say that if anyone tries anything funny on one of my flights, I will remember this quote and act accordingly... :rolleyes:

Edited by lsmith42
MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

While it is great (and frankly, surprising) that there's one TSA clown who knows what "writing" means, there is all sort of things wrong with TSA clowns exhibiting the personal property of the people they "screen" for other TSA clowns personal satisfaction/enjoyment.

I believe the TSA guy asked me if I minded. I don't remember, because it wasn't traumatic. I believe the exchange went something like this: There was something questionable in my luggage, and when the TSA guy opened the case, he saw the pens and made a comment (sounding like awe to me) and asked if I would mind if he showed them to his TSA buddy, and I probably said, "Sure, go ahead," and then his buddy glanced at the pens and wasn't as impressed as he should have been. Things were put back, and I moved out of the line to put my shoes back on where chairs were set up for this purpose.

Just wait until the mm-wave full-body-scanners hit the airports, and wait for TSA clowns to call for their colleagues when there are naked scans of passengers they "would enjoy".

Um, the full-body scan isn't in use yet? Then what was that guy do--oh! That explains the cameras!

Seriously, though, I probably won't fly if full-body scanners are implemented. All these other measures are panaceas, red herrings, distractions, and fake reassurance. I'm being jokey about the full-body scanners, but I'm against them, and I do not trust the human factor to honor privacy. Those scans will end up on the Internet. One person might get fired. But, no... if this country can't handle topless beaches or a "fashion malfunction" at halftime, how can it handle full-body scans? Come on! This country is schizophrenic.

I don't know if they're fully in place, but I got scanned leaving Salt Lake City a few weeks ago (I don't know if it was a pilot program or something - they were only scanning men... brilliant idea to make it totally obvious who would/wouldn't get scanned)

I'm not criticizing your viewpoint but rather your choice of words (unless you wrote them accurately).

I have mixed emotions regarding the TSA. They may not be the most professional but do you want your taxes increased to get more professional employees?

That's a misleading question. I want what I pay for. If higher taxes are what it takes for effectiveness and professionalism, then yes. If the TSA remains ineffective and unprofessional, it should be disbanded, and our taxes reduced accordingly so I can buy more pens and ink.

I understand the need to enact laws to make the public feel better, effective or not. I believe that there were many knee jerk procedures enacted. However, I cannot help but feel some were foolish and expensive.

I understand the politics. I do not understand the *need* to ever enact foolish, expensive or ineffective laws. I want a Lamy 2000. Do I need it? No.

I cannot in good conscience condemn or condone the government as I am one of its minions. Yet as a man well in his middle age...I feel a responsibility to complain!

(Are you sure you're using "condone" properly? Condone means to forgive or excuse.)

I condemn and criticize constantly precisely because I do not want to be a minion. What happened to "By the people, of the people, and for the people?" I thought the gov't was the minion.

I believe that every citizen has the responsibility to stop any hijacking even sacrificing their life in the process.

The locked steel cockpit doors are more effective in stopping hijackings than you give them credit for.

Unless you meant subduing the hijacker. Subduing is *not* my responsibility. Subduing is the responsibility of the air marshal. I am not trained, and all my subduing equipment is either in checked-luggage or confiscated. Perhaps you would be willing to throw your FPs at the hijacker and try to give paper cuts with your boarding pass. I won't. My responsibility is to protect my family, to stand between the lunatic and my wife, come what may. After that, my responsibility is to protect my country, to demand the ineffective measures stopped and effective ones put in place. Are you a citizen of your country (a concept of ideals and aspirations), or minion of your government (one of laws vs. loopholes)?

Anyway, my TSA story is boring. They were nice and courteous. I only had a Varsity (my very first FP) at the time. I was more afraid of it leaking than of it being confiscated.

I don't know if they're fully in place, but I got scanned leaving Salt Lake City a few weeks ago...

Gack.

Already? Sheesh.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

i'll be flying off on wed and i'm thinking of bringing my fountain pens with me instead of in the check-in luggages.

You are brave to put your pens in your check-in luggage. I must admit that I would never put them in my check-in luggage, not because of ink and air pressure problems but because I do not let the "children" out of my sight. LOL! Besides, there is always some writing that I can do at the airport since I arrive VERY early for my flight.