Pens and the TSA

captainkeytar

Hello all,

I recently became the proud owner of a Pilot M90. A wonderful pen, made almost exclusively out of stainless steel. Showing it to a friend, he asked a question to which I didn't have the answer:

Will they let me through airport security with this pen in my pocket?

In this particular pen, the nib is integrated with the body and it looks like it would hurt quite a bit when used as a stabbing weapon. (Though, why anyone would want to use a fine pen like this as a weapon is beyond me.) Aside from the Pilot M90, there's several other pens that are mostly all metal.

In any case, have any one of you experienced trouble getting through airport security with metal pens?

I've read about air travel troubles caused by pressure changes and ink cartridges ~ shudder ~, but I was wondering about the security check aspect of this problem specifically. I'd hate to bring this pen along in unchecked luggage, only to have to leave it behind....

Thanks!

Edited by captainkeytar

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• voop

• ethernautrix

• jBeckett

• Roaster

Never. Even with a Parker "51" Flighter.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Once at Gatwick, 1997. My Parker BP (don't know the model) was a nice weapony shape on the xray and security took it apart to check that it was, in fact, a pen. Haven't had a problem since then but I wouldn't be too surprised if security wanted to search my bags.

I just flew from Las Vegas to SoCal with my Namiki Pilot Ecrino and my Montblanc Starwalker in my jacket pocket, and a paper bag with about 6 dip pens (some with nibs on them) and a small plastic bag of nibs in my carry-on notebook computer bag. No questions, comments or otherwise.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

I had the same concerns about my Myu. Even though I have flown here and there with other pens without security stopping me, I decided that rather than risk it at the gate I would just check it in.

That said, again, I've not had any problems with any pens at airport security - metal or otherwise.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

I had the same concerns about my Myu. Even though I have flown here and there with other pens without security stopping me, I decided that rather than risk it at the gate I would just check it in.

That said, again, I've not had any problems with any pens at airport security - metal or otherwise.

Isn't the Myu steel-capped? Would they see the integrated nib with x-rays?

I travel a lot by air, more than anyone should, really.

The only thing ever causing me issues with the TSA is the clowns they employ and their management. The two most appropriate words that come to mind are "inefficient" and "power-trip".

But *even* the TSA hasn't managed to be interested in any of my FPs yet, regardless of what I have been traveling with.....in their blinding wisdom, they even consider a traveling inkpot to be a "pen" and so exempt from their silly and inefficient "kippie-bag" policy.

Once... I had my four urushi pens, and the TSA confiscated them, and I tried to explain, "But they're pens, they're just pens," and another TSA agent wheeled over a box-like thing with a small hole at the top, and the first TSA agent pushed one of the Danitrios in it, and it was a pen shredder, then I screamed and woke up.

Not really.

I have never had a problem with the TSA over pens. Only once was I questioned, and it was because I had about a dozen pens in a case, and one TSA agent wanted another TSA agent to look at them, because he thought his colleague "would enjoy them." That's it.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

That was a really good story ethernautrix, it had me on the edge of my seat.

Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 w/14c Binder's XXXF- Noodler's Old Manhattan Black

Hello all,

I recently became the proud owner of a Pilot M90. A wonderful pen, made almost exclusively out of stainless steel. Showing it to a friend, he asked a question to which I didn't have the answer:

Will they let me through airport security with this pen in my pocket?

In this particular pen, the nib is integrated with the body and it looks like it would hurt quite a bit when used as a stabbing weapon. (Though, why anyone would want to use a fine pen like this as a weapon is beyond me.) Aside from the Pilot M90, there's several other pens that are mostly all metal.

In any case, have any one of you experienced trouble getting through airport security with metal pens?

I've read about air travel troubles caused by pressure changes and ink cartridges ~ shudder ~, but I was wondering about the security check aspect of this problem specifically. I'd hate to bring this pen along in unchecked luggage, only to have to leave it behind....

Thanks!

I fly frequently - usually with several pens - and had never any problems.

I am rarely asked to open my pen case or pen wrap to show airport security what it contains.

In short: flying with fountain pens is a non-event.

B.

Around Christmas, right after the guy tried to explode his pants, I've seen the TSA in Boston confiscate a "tactical" pen, declaring it a stabbing device, but these are marketed as self-defense weapons. My Rotring 600 went through fine.

Edited by Gallant

I have never had a problem with the TSA over pens. Only once was I questioned, and it was because I had about a dozen pens in a case, and one TSA agent wanted another TSA agent to look at them, because he thought his colleague "would enjoy them." That's it.

Ugh, something about that doesn't seem right. Its like one of them calling their coworker over to "enjoy" looking at one's underwear collection in the luggage. Even if its your pen collection, there's something highly personal about it.

Once... I had my four urushi pens, and the TSA confiscated them, and I tried to explain, "But they're pens, they're just pens," and another TSA agent wheeled over a box-like thing with a small hole at the top, and the first TSA agent pushed one of the Danitrios in it, and it was a pen shredder, then I screamed and woke up.

....at which point you call for a sworn LEO and have the TSA clown arrested for theft and willful destruction of your property....the TSA clowns are NOT (contrary to what they -- and people -- think) allowed to confiscate any of your property. You can chose to willfully surrender it to the TSA if you want, but if you want to have your property returned and exit the checkpoint, you can....should the TSA clown prevent that, you call for a sworn law enforcement officer and file a complaint on the spot.

Not really.

While it is great (and frankly, surprising) that there's one TSA clown who knows what "writing" means, there is all sort of things wrong with TSA clowns exhibiting the personal property of the people they "screen" for other TSA clowns personal satisfaction/enjoyment.

Just wait until the mm-wave full-body-scanners hit the airports, and wait for TSA clowns to call for their colleagues when there are naked scans of passengers they "would enjoy".

Edited by voop

Around Christmas, right after the guy tried to explode his pants, I've seen the TSA in Boston confiscate a "tactical" pen, declaring it a stabbing device, but these are marketed as self-defense weapons. My Rotring 600 went through fine.

EDIT: It's likely that some of these "tactical pens" are just flagged items likely cited along with Kubotans.

Ugh, something about that doesn't seem right. Its like one of them calling their coworker over to "enjoy" looking at one's underwear collection in the luggage. Even if its your pen collection, there's something highly personal about it.

Maybe it was the sheer amount of pens. I mean if someone had a comical amount of underwear then I can see it.

Edited by jBeckett

EDIT: It's likely that some of these "tactical pens" are just flagged items likely cited along with Kubotans.

Maybe it was the sheer amount of pens. I mean if someone had a comical amount of underwear then I can see it.

Still, if the TSA clowns pretend to be professionals, then they should behave as professionals. Is there any reason, within the context of their mission, to call for a colleague to look at that which is being screened? No -- in that case, no colleague should be called, certainly not ever "for his personal enjoyment"....and this regardless of what the object of admiration is.

What if it had been a picture of your teenage daughter in a bikini, that you had in your bag, that the colleague might "enjoy" -- that'd be just OK with you?

Excuse me for being argumentative but why would I carry a picture of my daughter in a bikini around, let alone a physical copy of said picture?

Anyway, their jobs are extremely tedious and boring. I doubt they see someone carrying a collection of fountain pens around with them very often. If you feel like this kind of thing violates your personal space or rights or really just makes you feel uncomfortable you can calmly protest.

I have flown a great deal and never had problems with pens at security. I always have traveled with some type of carry on, briefcase, computer case or whatever. I always place my pens in a leather carrier and place them in my carry-on. If pens are visible in your pocket, in my experience, I have usually been asked to remove them and place them in the container that is usually provided for change and other loose pocket items. My concern with that is the pen(s) getting scratched. I have never had anyone question me about my carry-ons with pens inside- they've got to look a lot less intimidating than the pile of wires and power attachments for computers, cell phones, etc. that are usually carried.

I would never, never place a pen in checked luggage, never. In making a trip to Europe last year I brought along a spare pair of sunglasses packed in my checked luggage. They were old prescription sunglasses that I placed in a new case of designer sunglasses (that pair was on my person). My luggage was searched by TSA going through Atlanta, the clowns didn't put my luggage back with the others, and I got to Rome sans luggage. It took four days to get my luggage and upon finally getting it I found my case of sunglasses missing. There was the usual paper notice inside the locked bag indicating that TSA had inspected the bag. I have no problems with them riffling through my underwear but I do take issue with the lost bag and the stolen sunglasses. The joke on the thief is that he/she got an old pair of glasses in a designer case. So, never, never pack anything in your bag that could conceivabaly be considered of value to any halfwit tossing your clothes around.

I had the same curiosity, but never dared to try.

Not because of the pen-shredder fear (Ethernautrix, I was strangling with the coffee), but because of a previous bad leak experience (see https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123104-fps-and-mountain-passes/).

I'm curious to know about others' experiences, anyway.

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...