Spirit Of Life design by Henry Simpole

Chris Chalmers

One now wonders how many have signed up to be on the 'second run' list?

Mine has been used every day and is still on the first fill as an ED.........Momiji looks wonderful! :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Truffle Finder

• Chris Chalmers

• esterbex

Well, I'm still stuck here in limbo.

No nib has arrived, and I don't have a tracking number to see where it is.

Henry, do you have a tracking number, or wasn't it sent via registered mail?

Your item, posted on 20/10/10 with reference RGB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in AUSTRALIA.

maybe, just maybe it will arrive this week!

You can phone Auspost and they will let you know where it is Miranda. I had the exact same thing a few weeks back when I was waiting for another pen from UK.............the hold-up seems to be the UK Customs - although the tracking notice says it has been "passed to overseas........etc" Hope it lands soon!

Make it count!!!

A similar thing happened with FedEx. I got a phone call telling me I'd be having a signature required item on a particular date. The date came and went, no delivery. The next day, the site was revised to show it never left Stansted. After that, delivery per usual.

Considering all the idiots trying to ship explosives, I have to feel sympathy for the folks trying to clear international mail and parcels. :headsmack:

I agree GP, it is all very well taking for granted the shipping services that are available, and being disgruntled when things aren't going as expected, but when [as Ghost Plane has already said] some strong-minded fanatics are trying to disrupt our 'normal' way of life we get upset about it. It is very easy to dwell on the resulting inconvenience to our way of life, and ignore the actual real danger that is being averted by the extra checking, in an attempt to avoid another Lockerbie disaster. In the bigger picture, greater patience is a small price to pay under the circumstances in which we now live, certainly since 9/11.

Truffle Finder.

I remember when I was a little girl and we were stationed overseas. International parcels were a marvel and everyone gathered around to see, touch, and discuss the parcel before it was opened. The entire neighborhood talked about it for days.

I still marvel that I can place an order in Malaysia and have it here 3 days later. It's lovely to have the world so "small" but I hope we never lose that sense of wonder that we can reach out and deal with each other over distances that once took a year or more to traverse before airplanes. The Silk Road, the Spice Routes, the clipper ships, ocean liners - all have fallen away before the air freight. :notworthy1:

The most incredible thing to me is the internet. Here we all sit, chatting away in absolute safety and never thinking about it. In one on-line class I'm taking with international students I looked at the student profiles and had to grin. At least 4 of the students would have difficulty traveling to each other's countries due to wars or fanaticism, yet there they were working contentedly together on a class project. For every fanatic listening to madness on on the internet, I suspect at least 10 more are learning to live and work together in harmony. That's something no bomb can reach and it gives me great joy. :cloud9:

Sorry for hijacking the thread. :embarrassed_smile:

Considering all the idiots trying to ship explosives, I have to feel sympathy for the folks trying to clear international mail and parcels. :headsmack:

I agree GP, it is all very well taking for granted the shipping services that are available, and being disgruntled when things aren't going as expected, but when [as Ghost Plane has already said] some strong-minded fanatics are trying to disrupt our 'normal' way of life we get upset about it. It is very easy to dwell on the resulting inconvenience to our way of life, and ignore the actual real danger that is being averted by the extra checking, in an attempt to avoid another Lockerbie disaster. In the bigger picture, greater patience is a small price to pay under the circumstances in which we now live, certainly since 9/11.

Truffle Finder.

I still marvel that I can place an order in Malaysia and have it here 3 days later. It's lovely to have the world so "small" but I hope we never lose that sense of wonder that we can reach out and deal with each other over distances that once took a year or more to traverse before airplanes. The Silk Road, the Spice Routes, the clipper ships, ocean liners - all have fallen away before the air freight. No, this is incorrect. Months, maybe, sometimes weeks..

No need to vilify me! I am aware of current events, and they are not relevant to this issue.

The nib was posted on 20th October, with a three to five day delivery window. The parcel threat was reported on 1st November, five days after my nib should have arrived.

In the meantime, I have had deliveries from Germany x2, Italy, France, USAx2, Japan x3, Hong Kong, Taiwan. One from Germany took three days. [some of this is ink, and a couple of pens are presents for friends, in case this seems excessive.]

And now I own some more beautiful Graf von Faber Castell Pens of the Year. Utterly fantastic craftsmanship. They write and give me the pleasure that Ghost Plane has from the SOL pen in it's writing capacity [not the SOL meaning, of course].

And some other pens that write so smoothly and so reliably. Dupont, Pilot VP, Nakaya, Sailor etc. You know the brands. They are always praised on FPN

the wild non-colonial girl

Edited by Miranda

I am quite sure that no one is trying to vilify you Miranda.

We can only guess what is the cause of the delay in delivering the parcel, but in view of recent events, it would seem logical that there may well be delays caused by extra checking, particularly packages from the UK. For all we know it might just be held up by 'Customs', but whatever it is, it is very frustrating, and I'm sure that everyone here sympathises with you.

Truffle Finder.

Oh dear. I was simply musing how long things took when they had to travel from China to Europe by ground.

I'm so sorry you're having these problems, Miranda :crybaby:

I'm coming in each waiting to hear that you've gotten it and you're as thrilled as the rest of us. :unsure:

05/11/2010 22:25 - Arrived at Delivery Office Delivery Office AU - AUMXBT 05/11/2010 13:07 - Local Dispatch from International Reception Office Dispatching Office MELBOURNE EMS 05/11/2010 11:45 - Item Customs Request Customs Retention Reason 64 05/11/2010 11:44 - Arrived at Destination International Reception Office Dispatch No. 7533 Receiving Office MELBOURNE EMS 02/11/2010 22:16 - Outward Dispatch from Origin International Office Dispatch No. 7533 Outward Dispatch Office DUBAI Sorting Center 02/11/2010 21:41 - Arrived at International Dispatch Office Dispatch No. 701 Outward Dispatch Office DUBAI Sorting Center 02/11/2010 19:28 - Local Dispatch Regular Dispatch No. 701 Origin Al Riqqha PO Destination DUBAI Sorting Center 02/11/2010 17:21 - Parcel Posted

So, in the meantime, the GvFC Amber Pen of the Year was been posted from Dubai last Tuesday and should be delivered on Monday or Tuesday. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't Dubai be considered a place that suspicious parcels could be a problem? Yet, a delivery manages to take only seven working days, and detailed information is provided.

Not so Royal Mail:

Your item, posted on 20/10/10 with reference RJ595532615GB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in AUSTRALIA.

is the best they can do.

In the meantime, Henry evokes the horrors of 9/11 and Lockerbie and chides me for not showing enough patience.

Patience? This is week 5 of owning an £800 pen that doesn't write, and day 18 of waiting for a nib to arrive. I am tired of being the villian here. I'm not the one who made and sold a pen that doesn't work, yet I've had information from my private emails to Henry posted here:

[Henry was very unhappy to hear that things appear to have escalated to the extent that it has, and Miranda's disappointment with her SOL pen.

He has offered her a complete refund including the shipping costs, and is prepared to offer the same to anyone else who wishes to return their pen to him.],

[and why was Henry telling TF about my emails anyway?]

Conway Stewart denying then admitting responsibilty for the feed problem, but no offer of contacting their Australian dealers to send me a new feed which would have seemed a simple solution.

I'm sorry, but this isn't an issue about my patience.

I feel your pain Miranda.

I believe that you are quite patient.

I do not tolerate fountain pens with writing issues and I would be very miffed if I had to wait to enjoy a bespoke pen that is already paid for.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Thank you, Anne-Sophie.

I just tried the pen again having given the feed an ultra-sonic bath. just in case.... still doesn't write freely and I suppose it was a bit of a vain hope that it should.

This brings me close to tears. I am not an angry person, and I do not like having to write such negative posts. This whole thing is very stressful.

No, it's not. Absolutely not. You have shown more than enough patience and understanding. At five weeks out, I too would be quite frustrated and upset. I so wish you could enjoy your pen, Miranda. Sending positive thoughts your way...

Edited by reprieve

05/11/2010 22:25 - Arrived at Delivery Office Delivery Office AU - AUMXBT 05/11/2010 13:07 - Local Dispatch from International Reception Office Dispatching Office MELBOURNE EMS 05/11/2010 11:45 - Item Customs Request Customs Retention Reason 64 05/11/2010 11:44 - Arrived at Destination International Reception Office Dispatch No. 7533 Receiving Office MELBOURNE EMS 02/11/2010 22:16 - Outward Dispatch from Origin International Office Dispatch No. 7533 Outward Dispatch Office DUBAI Sorting Center 02/11/2010 21:41 - Arrived at International Dispatch Office Dispatch No. 701 Outward Dispatch Office DUBAI Sorting Center 02/11/2010 19:28 - Local Dispatch Regular Dispatch No. 701 Origin Al Riqqha PO Destination DUBAI Sorting Center 02/11/2010 17:21 - Parcel Posted

So, in the meantime, the GvFC Amber Pen of the Year was been posted from Dubai last Tuesday and should be delivered on Monday or Tuesday. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't Dubai be considered a place that suspicious parcels could be a problem? Yet, a delivery manages to take only seven working days, and detailed information is provided.

Not so Royal Mail:

Your item, posted on 20/10/10 with reference RJ595532615GB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in AUSTRALIA.

is the best they can do.

In the meantime, Henry evokes the horrors of 9/11 and Lockerbie and chides me for not showing enough patience.

Patience? This is week 5 of owning an £800 pen that doesn't write, and day 18 of waiting for a nib to arrive. I am tired of being the villian here. I'm not the one who made and sold a pen that doesn't work, yet I've had information from my private emails to Henry posted here:

[Henry was very unhappy to hear that things appear to have escalated to the extent that it has, and Miranda's disappointment with her SOL pen.

He has offered her a complete refund including the shipping costs, and is prepared to offer the same to anyone else who wishes to return their pen to him.],

[and why was Henry telling TF about my emails anyway?]

Conway Stewart denying then admitting responsibilty for the feed problem, but no offer of contacting their Australian dealers to send me a new feed which would have seemed a simple solution.

Hi Miranda,

I hear and feel your frustration. I spoke with Henry and he assured me that he sent a replacement nib assembly directly to you and therefore upon receiving that information, I did not contact our Australian distributor. When Conway Stewart sends products/parts we use a carrier that promises to deliver within a certain time period and assigns a tracking number to the package. I do not know the method of shipping used by Henry, sorry.

The Spirit of Life pen is not an edition made by Conway Stewart. Our factory has not been part of the assembly of this design and therefor we cannot speak on behalf of Henry how the pen is being put together. However, seeming that Henry is using our nib assemblies, we will stand behind the writing performance of our nibs.

If you do not receive your nib within the next couple of days or if you are still unhappy with the writing qualities, may I please ask you to contact me by email: maryburke@conwaystewart.co.uk

With kind regards,

Mary Burke

Director of Marketing & Development

All quiet, so I'm hoping things are getting sorted.

How is Philip's play coming along? Those who have their pens, anything intriguing you're doing with yours? :puddle:

Nothing as exciting as working a play - but writing lots of letters!

Make it count!!!