Spirit Of Life design by Henry Simpole

Chris Chalmers

Had to have a biopsy for possible skin cancer. Apparently, with my coloring, SPF 85 is my friend. :embarrassed_smile:

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Truffle Finder

• Chris Chalmers

• esterbex

Good news, oh patient ones! The calligraphy appears to be final and ultimate design imminent [Henry still needs to work some final magic]. :cloud9: It appears our long-suffering but truly inspired Salman Khattak has figured out the spacing so that Henry can make the joins without mere mortals knowing where he did it. :clap1:

Salman deserves major praise for this. He picked up a quirky request from a total stranger half a world away, suffered through the design changes, tossed out several glorious pieces of art that couldn't be executed in silver, and generally put up with quite a lot from me as I haltingly tried to transfer a vague notion from my head to a fully executable dream issuing off his pen. THEN he had to make it fit the parameters of Henry's design constraints for the pen, transference of calligraphy from ink and paper to silver, and assorted structural changes to suit the quirks of a curving overlay. I can't say enough good things about someone who would work so hard on someone else's dream. :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Henry, meanwhile, came up with a design he's never done before, and overcame some aggravating technical difficulties in his quest to turn a dream into reality.

When the final is complete, we'll share. Until then, all I can say is, great art takes time. I've been fortunate to have two artists help me bring my dream to the point it's about to become reality. :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

I suspect that all those 'salaams' will be making someone rather embarrassed!!! Don't you?

Let's hope that it all works out from here!

Truffle Finder.

Wow GP - thank you for your kind words. I remember saying I wasn't shy at some point but I think I'm blushing right now. :embarrassed_smile:

It has indeed been a journey of discovery for me. Thinking in 3-d while coming up with various layouts was indeed fun and challenging at the same time. I am lucky to have had a chance of contributing to your dream.

I am looking forward to Henry's magic now - I can't wait to see the results. I am sure it'll be lovelier than I can imagine.

Thank you for letting me be a part of this journey.

Salman

Edited by smk

Here's where we are with the design.

On the barrel of the pen, we have the verse in Arabic, which Henry will engrave on the silver spirals. Here is Salman's diagram to show you:

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/GhostPlane/Dream%20Pen/SpiritofLifewithArabic0001.jpg

On the cap of the pen, we have Henry's design which is the top portion of this scan:

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/GhostPlane/Dream%20Pen/Dreampen.jpg

Forgive the quality of the pictures. For Henry's we had to scan an international fax, so the delicate vine work that will run between the spirals, as well as either side of the shorter salutation, is not yet visible. The vines are morning glories.

We're getting to the point that Henry needs to know how many people will want a Spirit of Life pen.

I realize it may be early for some of you as you haven't seen actual pictures yet. We'll get them up as soon as Henry has the prototype or master of the actual design where photographs can be taken.

But we need to get started, as the price drops once 6 people commit to the pen. This is why there isn't a firm price point yet. Anyone in doubt if you can afford a Simpole, have a gander at Henry's website and you can guesstimate.

In the interest of full disclosure, I want to clarify once again that I make nothing from this pen, buying it like the rest of you. The inspiration for the pen was the verse. It moved me enough that I wanted to hold it in my hand. This isn't a numbered edition or limited production. I share the design freely with anyone who wants to buy this pen. The design is a joint venture between myself, Henry Simpole, and Salman Khattak. Obviously, you won't see one on every street corner.

The verse, which is in its original Arabic on the pen, is from THE HIDDEN WORDS OF BAHÁ'U'LLÁH. In English, it translates:

"O SON OF MAN!

I loved thy creation, hence I created thee. Wherefore, do thou love Me, that I may name thy name and fill thy soul with the spirit of life."

Because the PM system is occasionally unreliable due to software bugs, if you're not comfortable with posting a commitment in this thread, feel free to email me and I'll set aside a special folder so I can keep count.

I'll update with a count periodically so people will know where we are in the project. As soon as Henry can give us a price point, we'll post that, too.

Any questions, let me know and I'll ask Henry.

Let's begin. I obviously want one, so I'm buyer #1.

GP, the bespoke price on Henry's site is almost double the standard pattern price (£750 for the snake vs £1200 for bespoke) - would this be considered a bespoke piece?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

If we get enough of us, it drops from bespoke toward pattern prices. Hence my attempt to get a nose count of interested parties early on so Henry can figure pricing. Given the complexity of this design, let's guesstimate 850 pounds [cover extra process required for the design and silver] for a run of 10 pens. I suspect I'll hear from Henry if I get too far out of the ballpark in either direction. For US residents unfamiliar with the currency exchange, today's rate is 1 pound = 1.46 USD.

Henry picked up the [flat cut-out] from the laser-man who has successfully engraved the 'script' on it, I have seen it and everything has worked out well, he is hoping to put the finishing touches to it before sending it for photography, and following that it hopefully will appear here for all to see.

Perhaps 'patience is a virtue' should be engraved on it somewhere!

Truffle Finder.

Or tattooed on my forehead? :headsmack: :roflmho:

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we...? :bunny01:

Like I said in another thread about this pen - count me in please!!! :thumbup: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Okay, Chris is #2.

Pictures are coming very soon to help us decide. :eureka: :clap1:

So we have a closet Spirit of Life Fancier............how romantic! Thank goodness there are three......... but if he makes it they will come!! :notworthy1:

Make it count!!!

So..................we are "off to see the Wizard, the Jolly old Wizard of London"!!! I can't wait! :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Make it count!!!

I've just posted some news on the 'Has anyone heard of HS?' thread about the latest news about the Spirit O Life pen. Sorry about that!

Truffle Finder.