Looking for an A4-size refillable leather journal - or cover to use with A4 sketchbooks

amsaad

Hello everyone! I am new here and have found the information on this site very helpful. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about where to find a reasonably priced refillable leather journal, or journal cover, that I can use with an A4 size sketchbook or plain paper journal refill? Speaking of paper... I can't seem to find any A4 size in a heavier paper than the Moleskine Folio. Any ideas? I've tried rustico and renaissancearts, but they are simply too "rustic" for me :mellow:

Legacy journals are absolutely stunning... at an equally astonishing price (close to $400 with a small design added!) While I'm sure they are worth it, I cannot afford that much.

I do like Levenger's Ravello folio, which the Levenger site shows as holding a spiral bound book. I've emailed the to see if it would accommodate a Moleskine Folio A4 size, but no response thus far. I'm thinking it only has one pocket to hold one side of the refill though, and reviewers commented that it doesn't have a stiff enough back (but if the refill does I don't suppose that would matter).

Thoughts, anyone? Thank you in advance!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NateB

• johnptc

• inkpenguin

• amsaad

How about making your own notebook?

You can get an A4 sized loose leaf binder (eg. Maruman, Kokuyo, Campus etc) and then buy the the ideal A4 paper that you would like to use. There is a 30 hole punch that you can get to punch the paper and then fill it into the binder.

This gives you the option to mix and match the kind of paper that you want and the grade of paper.

I was trying to find this binder: Maruman Giuris Binder but they were totally sold out in my country. I did find the refills and bought a really inexpensive but flexible cover B4 sized binder with the Giuris B4 paper and found it to be very smooth and great for writing with a FP and ink and paper sketches.

With the paper punch Carl Binder 30 hole punch you can get any paper you want and insert it into the A4 binder.

With a cutter, I also turn my A4 paper into A5 sized sheets, punch and insert them into an A5 sized loose leaf binder which is handy fro bringing around as a flexible journal where I can easily remove or insert pages in whenever I want.

You could try Gfeller Casemakers. They do custom work. Their notebook covers are similar to Ren Arts, but not 'rustic' looking. The stictching is tight and edges are finished on the leather.

I like plain and simple Clairefontaine 'Age Bag' notebooks -- a fiver each on the rare occasions they're in stock! However the binding isn't up to much. I asked this guy on eBay UK if he could make one that would accommodate non-Moleskunk A4 notebooks and he agreed -- around £30 for a simple slip cover. Very plain and decent enough looking.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about a cover, though Renaissance arts soes make them (though I have yet to own one), but for blank books to refill with I recommend Seawhite of Brighton sketchbooks. They do a basic black cloth bound sketchbook, Im currently using an A5 size one as a journal, and the paper is wonderful. Its suprisingly smooth for sketchbook paper, with a little bit of tooth, but my Lamy safari fountain pen writes smoothly across the page without skipping or catching.

:)

"Now we walk in empty glens

Rushes blowing in the wind

A voice that's calling you again

To come back home."

- Runrig-

• 4 years later...