Yard-o-Led Corinthian FP Leak

ghexy

I've enjoyed my YOL for a while, and have had no complaints until now.

I've noticed since last week ink around the nib area, where the little Sterling Silver-marked "collar" joins the rest of the pen. I thought it was strange, since it hasn't happened until now. I put the pen aside and left it unused for a day or so. Then I looked at it, and had more ink around the same area. I cleaned it, emptied it, washed it, refilled it and left it for another few other untouched. Then I took the following pictures. I marked on them the area where the ink is appearing to leak from. Having the pen cap on appears to somewhat smear the ink, but I'm reasonably sure the ink is coming from the area indicated by the arrows.

The first question is: why would ink come out from there?

The second and more important question is: how do I fix this? Has anyone had any experience with having YOL serviced in Australia or overseas?

Thanks

post-18213-127141448554.jpg

post-18213-127141449837.jpg

Edited by ghexy

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• ghexy

• Thier.

• Baric

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't own a Yard o Led pen, but I had a Mont Blanc FP that developed a leak in the barrel. I sent that to the manufacturer and had a repaired pen back quickly for just $50 or so.

It could have developed a leak. The feed is behind the nib and perhaps the join at the section has developed a leak. It is metal against metal. Have you changed ink? There's a very remote possibility that nib creep has caused the ink to move up the nib to the section of the pen since it is metal. I think this unlikely though as there doesn't appear to be ink on the nib.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I had an elderly standard that did that. I'm here in the States, but Filofax [our distributor] had it sent to the UK and YoL replaced the entire section free of charge. Love their warranty service - it's wonderful. You'll even get a nice note back saying what was done to your pen.

Thanks - I'll try send it back for service.

The difficulty I have is that I don't have an email address for the YOL/Filofax service centre where I can inquire about the process. As you know, the paperwork that comes with the pen only lists a physical address in Birmingham, UK, and I'm in Australia.

I contacted Pam Braun (I purchased the pen from her), and she gave me the same details as listed on the warranty slip.

I'll try the Australian Filofax representative, although I'm not sure they carry the YOL line.

In the meantime if anyone else has some details for a service centre, please let me know.

If you go to the Filofax.com website, it will give the contact info for here in the States. If you can't find the Oz distributor, I'd send an email to the US folks and see if they can steer you to their counterparts.

• 4 years later...

Yard-O-Led has a lifetime warranty. I would just go to the Filofax main site, hit the "Contact Us" link, and ask about the warranty repair procedure. I've never had to contact them myself, but that's where I'd start.

Worked for me. I sent mine in, they sent it back with a hand-written by my pen note explaining what they did to repair it. No problems since. Used the warranty 3 times now as the 10 year point of heavy use seems to be the point of leaks for me. Even replaced an ebonite section with a silver + newer nib on one pen to fix wear. Much improved performance.

Thank you. As I cannot find any email adress for Yard O Led, I sent them a hand-written letter to explain the problem. Let's hope they will answer soon and fix the problem ... I let you know .....

Thank you. As I cannot find any email adress for Yard O Led, I sent them a hand-written letter to explain the problem. Let's hope they will answer soon and fix the problem ... I let you know .....

They have a Contact Us link right on each page, just use the web form to send the email.