Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Making handwritten book

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dcrookston

dcrookston

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 22:02

I'm starting a project to make a handwritten book for my sweetheart, and I really don't know where to start. I'm not even sure what things I don't know. Here are a few considerations, any help would be appreciated. (Also I apologize if this is the wrong forum.)

- I'm going to write each of the pages by hand. (Calligraphy has been a hobby of mine for a long time.) How do I know how much of a margin to leave so that everything looks right after it's bound?
- Is there a particular book binder that someone here can recommend based on personal experience?
- What size, shape, etc. should I be making the pages? To some extent this depends on my hand (I want a reasonable amount on each page) but it also affects the final size of the book...
- Is there a particular kind, weight, color, material, etc. I should be looking for when I select the paper? Acid free is a no-brainer, but are there other considerations?
- How many pages of content do I need in order to make a book that's .5 to 3/4 inch thick?

That's all I can think of just now. If anyone has done a project like this before and has any advice, I'd be very interested to hear it. I hope it goes well, because I'd like to do a few of these.

I realize that these aren't specifically penmanship questions, but when I googled "calligraphy forum" I found you guys, so I'm hoping someone can advise me :)

Thanks!

#2 irbyls

irbyls

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 22:05

I don't know how to answer most of your questions, but I had a lightbulb moment when you mentioned a bookbinder. I got this amazing journal from Tedra at Fine Blank Books, and even though mine was blank, she also does binding with printed pages. She might be able to help, if you're interested.

I'm not affiliated, promise. :) Just a remarkably satisfied customer!
-irbyls

#3 dcrookston

dcrookston

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 22:14

That's perfect, and exactly what I was hoping for =)

I also remembered another question - although I've been doing calligraphy for a long time, I've never really taken it seriously before - it's always been just a hobby to pass some time or occasionally to write someone's name on an important envelope. Does anyone have a suggestion about which script (I almost said "font") to use? The book is going to be a simple collection of her favorite poems, plus one or two of my own. The primary consideration is readability followed by difficulty.

Thanks!

#4 Journaleur

Journaleur

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 14:09

I don't know how to answer most of your questions, but I had a lightbulb moment when you mentioned a bookbinder. I got this amazing journal from Tedra at Fine Blank Books, and even though mine was blank, she also does binding with printed pages. She might be able to help, if you're interested.

irbyls: Thank you for the link to Tedra's site. I have not seen such wonderfully (in the original sense of being filled with wonder) bound books in a long time. I recall some exhibits of special and historic bindings when I worked at the Newark, N.J. public library after high school graduation. The work that Tedra does is equally the match of these, if not indeed better. I am happy to know that the fine art of fine bookbinding continues. It is a rare and precious skill that we do not see enough of.
There will be no crisis this week. My calendar is already full.

#5 Feanor

Feanor

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 14:16

Cursive italic should suit your needs. I like the look of Gothic Blackletter, but it's too... strong for such a project. Maybe you could use it for titles?

There are instructions for CI pinned to the top of this forum, and you can find a lot more on IAMPETH. If you can't find something, don't hesitate to ask.

#6 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:17

Thank for the link, beautiful books they make!.