Noodler's Ink #41 Brown

Margana

Noodler's #41 Brown, named in honor of Senator Scott Brown from Massachusetts, is a deep, dark sepia. No flash but a rich color that shows subtle shading with the right nib. The color leans yellow rather than red though not pronouncedly so. That makes it a neutral brown that won't be mistaken for black. Excellent on any cream or buff paper, it will also work on colors like pale green or pink.

Coverage is consistent and the flow is excellent. In fact my Pilot Elite Socrates pocket pen worked as well with #41 Brown as any ink it's ever met. On Rhodia paper drying time exceeded 10 seconds for the wettest dots but on the more absorbent Apica 6A10, it dried significantly faster. For those of you keeping track of such things, #41 is archival, bulletproof, eternal and pH neutral, all of which means your writing will out-live you and likely most of your descendants.

The color is similar to Sailor Deep Rust Black, Iroshizuku yama-guri, and Diamine Chocolate Brown so #41 might be redundant if you already own one of those inks. But if you don't, retailers currently offer #41 Brown at $12.50 for a 3 oz bottle. That's 89 ml which sounds like a veritable bargain for anyone who uses lots of ink and has a penchant for a truly versatile brown.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/4506364703_9ef372567b.jpg

Full review at An Inkophile's Blog.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Margana

• Sailor Kenshin

• mwhouston

• Scrawler

I know there's some of this in my future. Thanks for the review. I'm very glad to read about the properties. How does it smell?

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Wrote with #41 all week in a XF Safari. Very nice ink... Looks very nice on the greenish Franklin paper in my planner.

I know there's some of this in my future. Thanks for the review. I'm very glad to read about the properties. How does it smell?

Like Noodler's ink though not the strongest odor I've encountered in the line.

A certified Inkophile

Noodler's #41 Brown, named in honor of Senator Scott Brown from Massachusetts, is a deep, dark sepia. No flash but a rich color that shows subtle shading with the right nib. The color leans yellow rather than red though not pronouncedly so. That makes it a neutral brown that won't be mistaken for black. Excellent on any cream or buff paper, it will also work on colors like pale green or pink.

Coverage is consistent and the flow is excellent. In fact my Pilot Elite Socrates pocket pen worked as well with #41 Brown as any ink it's ever met. On Rhodia paper drying time exceeded 10 seconds for the wettest dots but on the more absorbent Apica 6A10, it dried significantly faster. For those of you keeping track of such things, #41 is archival, bulletproof, eternal and pH neutral, all of which means your writing will out-live you and likely most of your descendants.

The color is similar to Sailor Deep Rust Black, Iroshizuku yama-guri, and Diamine Chocolate Brown so #41 might be redundant if you already own one of those inks. But if you don't, retailers currently offer #41 Brown at $12.50 for a 3 oz bottle. That's 89 ml which sounds like a veritable bargain for anyone who uses lots of ink and has a penchant for a truly versatile brown.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/4506364703_9ef372567b.jpg

Full review at An Inkophile's Blog.

From the image it almost looks black. Definetly a darker brown than a light. I'm new to Penahollics what does bulletproof mean?

the moving finger writes and having writ moves on..

Visconti Kakadu, Knights Templar and Opera Master, Jinhao Abalone Shell, Classic 626 SandBlast, Montegrappa Cortina, Monteverde Carbon Fibre and Huashilai Executive Marblied.

Thanks for that especially the short list of similar inks. I love that they put it in the big bottle, too.

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

From the image it almost looks black. Definetly a darker brown than a light. I'm new to Penahollics what does bulletproof mean?

Noodler's terms are explained here.

A certified Inkophile

Nice review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Noodler's terms are explained here.

Thanks for that. Great link.

Visconti Kakadu, Knights Templar and Opera Master, Jinhao Abalone Shell, Classic 626 SandBlast, Montegrappa Cortina, Monteverde Carbon Fibre and Huashilai Executive Marblied.

The color is similar to Sailor Deep Rust Black, Iroshizuku yama-guri, and Diamine Chocolate Brown so #41 might be redundant if you already own one of those inks.

Nice review. I'm liking this colour more and more.

But what really got my attention is this: Sailor Deep Rust Black. Ooohh, is that one of the Hougado exclusives? Have you done a review of that one that I missed?

Ryan.

The color is similar to Sailor Deep Rust Black, Iroshizuku yama-guri, and Diamine Chocolate Brown so #41 might be redundant if you already own one of those inks.

Nice review. I'm liking this colour more and more.

But what really got my attention is this: Sailor Deep Rust Black. Ooohh, is that one of the Hougado exclusives? Have you done a review of that one that I missed?

Ryan.

Yes, it is one of the Hougado inks. It felt a little like striking gold when I acquired that one. Due to its lack of availability, I haven't reviewed it. Maybe someday...

There is so little difference in color between #41 and Deep Rust Black that I would not purchase both if color was my only criteria. Still that bottle of DRB has been here for nearly two years and has dibs on several pens. #41 will have to woo more than just the Elite to be as useful.

A certified Inkophile

Speaking of Noodlers I just received a bottle of Walnut. I also just received a bottle of Montegrappa Claret. This is both my first Noodlers and Montegrappa ink. The Montegrappa comes in a beautiful bottle. Who needs an ink well when you own a Montegrappa ink bottle.

One of these inks is destined for my new Jinhao Abalone Shell. I have to write a speech for son’s impending wedding so the Jinhao and one of these inks should give me inspiration. Let’s hope so.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems odd to me that any company would inject politics into its marketing. I have several bottles of Noodler's products, but I won't be buying this one, and my attitude towards any future purchases won't include as much fun as I've had when ordering their inks in the past.

Seems odd to me that any company would inject politics into its marketing. I have several bottles of Noodler's products, but I won't be buying this one, and my attitude towards any future purchases won't include as much fun as I've had when ordering their inks in the past.

+1

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like a color I would be really interested in, but I'll check locally tomorrow for a brown instead of ordering this from somewhere.

All the more available for those of use who have a stronger interest in the ink than what it is called though you might want to read more about the name and the color directly from Noodler's Ink. It's only a paragraph but explains how the theme of the underdog and a "revival of the competitive democratic process" inspired the name and color.

BTW the names of several of their inks reference more than just the color. Check here and here. I find Nathan's choices far more interesting than the descriptive but undistinguished "red" or "blue" or worse, seriously misnamed inks offered from some companies.

Note that it's been a month since I wrote my review and I'm pleased to add that there have been no issues with the ink or clogs or such with the pen despite intermittent use. So for those not concerned with the name, #41 Brown is a very good addition to the Noodler's line of inks.

A certified Inkophile

It's a shame the respected Mr. Tardif alienated as many Americans as he did with politics on an ink bottle. Those who are not Americans largely hold our political kabuki theater to be comitragic (from my observations) and probably can't be bothered to raise an eyebrow over this oddly dedicated ink. I have a suspicion Noodler's has no plans to produce an ink to honor Daniel Cohn-Bendit, which I would probably buy on sight :thumbup:

It's a shame the respected Mr. Tardif alienated as many Americans as he did with politics on an ink bottle. Those who are not Americans largely hold our political kabuki theater to be comitragic (from my observations) and probably can't be bothered to raise an eyebrow over this oddly dedicated ink. I have a suspicion Noodler's has no plans to produce an ink to honor Daniel Cohn-Bendit, which I would probably buy on sight :thumbup:

Having watched the antics of Mr. Tardif over the years, I can't be too upset over the (minor) amount of politicking he injects into his comments. After all, the basis of advertising is to be remembered and talked about. And controversy is remembered long after a smooth discussion of the ink's qualities is forgotten. While I probably won't buy THIS ink, it will be because I enjoy MontBlanc Toffee Brown so much and have no need for two brown inks.

But I am pleased to see another ink that is well-behaved and a good writing ink come from Mr. Tardif's shop. Always love to see a good review of a great ink. As far as honoring Daniel Cohn-Bendit, well, Nathan may respond to your request. Why don't you write up an email explaining why you want Mr Cohn-Bendit honored and send it to him?

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like a color I would be really interested in, but I'll check locally tomorrow for a brown instead of ordering this from somewhere.

I'm actually liking the color of this ink very much as I've seen it here, and I'm going to grab a bottle at my first opportunity. I'm looking forward to trying it out with this review in mind.

As for the rest of it, this is solely a matter of preference and personal opinion. A lot of the Noodler's inks have some tongue-in-cheek references and personal opinion associated with them. I like the inks for the inks themselves, but I also like following Nathan's "antics." However, I also respect others' rights to not use the inks for their own reasons, opinions, and preferences.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Funny---that's exactly WHY I bought this ink, and decided to return to Noodler's, so I doubt he 'alienated' as many Americans as some would like to think.

I diluted 41 Brown fifty percent and put it in a pen that was always a hard starter. Voila! Starts even after two days of neglect. And it's a wonderful cocoa color that's different from any of my other favorite browns.

At full strength, the color is more intense, but the dry time makes it a little tough for a southpaw overwriter like me.

Thanks for the review, Margana. You beat me to it! ^^

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.