13 replies to this topic

#1 cuza

cuza

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 20:16

My local stationer is offering a line of pens branded FranklinCovey, BUT made by A T Cross. I purchased one of the fountain pens for $19.99. It is a cartridge only model using the standard international cartridges. I inked my new FP with a cartridge of Private Reserve Midnight Blues and gave it a brief test run. Nib seems to be leaning towards FINE although it is not marked with a size. A bit toothy. The gold tone nib is marked "Iridium Point" only. See my snaps below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The $19.99 USD price is likely full retail so it is likely that it can be purchased for less. It falls in a price range that offers few competitors. I wish them luck.

-- cuza

#2 fluteplayer07

fluteplayer07

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 20:23

A Franklin-Crossy, perhaps?
I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.
--Terry Pratchett

#3 cuza

cuza

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 20:38

ADDENDUM

Length: 138mm
Posted: 145mm (cap clicks onto barrel when posting)
Diameter: 10mm
Weight: 27.6g (with one ink cartridge installed)

Good weight and good wt. distribution when posted.

-- cuza

Edited by cuza, 08 April 2010 - 15:02.

#4 Dace

Dace

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 21:52

I think it's smart for Cross to do this. Their current line up seems very overpriced for what they are. I think Cross has some awesome designs and keeps coming up with interesting pens. However they price them out of so many peoples pockets.

There are a lot of current Cross pens I would love to buy but not at the prices they want.

Maybe Cross is realizing this and trying to get into the cheaper markets by using other names.

#5 RLTodd

RLTodd

Thor's Legions

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2010 - 23:03

well,

1) that is the least Cross looking Cross pen I have yet seen, and they have been going quite far afield of late,

2) tieing the Cross name with a $20 pen is not good business if they are trying to build up into the luxury brand market nice. (What would you think of the Rolex brand if they started selling a $35 OEM out of China watch?)
YMMV

#6 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 23:43

Interesting, as several years ago I bought the remaining stock of Cross Solo pens at a Frankin Covey store..
Gave most away as gifts, and soon therafter Solo was officially discontinued..
Now that I know about those who tweak nibs, wish I'd bought Every Solo they had..just bought the smooth ones.

Posted Image~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#7 cuza

cuza

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 15:13

I've used the FranklinCovey for almost two days now and am surprisingly impressed. The ink feed is very good. The pen feels good in hand.
And despite the polished metal section, I have complete control. I like to fact that it take "regular" cartridges and not the funky Cross ones.
Presently, this is pen is going to replace my trusty Sheaffer Imperial © as my pants pocket pen.

Perhaps someone will do a review. I'd be interested in someone else's experience with this pen.

-- cuza

Edited by cuza, 08 April 2010 - 15:14.

#8 Biber

Biber

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 19:10

Well, here we are a month later. How's the pen working out?

B

#9 JerryVK

JerryVK

I get the point!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 23:36

The pen you show looks like the exact same pen that I bought at Big Lots last year for $9.99. They also sold a matching mechanical pencil separately for the same price. My pen wrote very well, but it showed smudges on the chrome. I no longer have the pen.

Enjoy your pen,
Jerry
Jerry

#10 moonriver17

moonriver17

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 13:56

My local stationer is offering a line of pens branded FranklinCovey, BUT made by A T Cross. I purchased one of the fountain pens for $19.99. It is a cartridge only model using the standard international cartridges. I inked my new FP with a cartridge of Private Reserve Midnight Blues and gave it a brief test run. Nib seems to be leaning towards FINE although it is not marked with a size. A bit toothy. The gold tone nib is marked "Iridium Point" only. See my snaps below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The $19.99 USD price is likely full retail so it is likely that it can be purchased for less. It falls in a price range that offers few competitors. I wish them luck.

-- cuza

#11 moonriver17

moonriver17

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 14:02

This Franklin Covey fountain pen is certainly a great looking pen! I once purchased a pen/pencil set of Bill Blass pens, also made by Cross. I paid 10 bucks at Walmart. These pens were of Cross quality, made like a Cross and had a lifetime warrenty. I couldn't believe they were being sold at Walmart for $10! This Covey pen looks like the same quality pen! I can't wait to try one! The fact that it uses standard international cartridges is a plus also!
moonriver17

#12 nxn96

nxn96

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2010 - 17:49

This probably works better for Franklin-Covey than it does for Cross, as it "brands" what would otherwise be a no-name pen, meaning a potentially higher price out the door than otherwise. As Franklin-Covey is itself a reputable name, it probably limits any exposure Cross might have to having a lower priced version out there directly/indirectly with their name on it. On balance, I'm not sure this sort of thing works to Cross' long term benefit to stay a "premium" brand.

Edited by nxn96, 05 December 2010 - 17:51.

#13 Newb

Newb

Peaceable Assembler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:53

I agree. Would be a marketing advantage for FC than for AT Cross. In any case, I don't believe either of these brands are run to the original family's standards, so they got one dirty hand washing the other, while we the customers are too busy looking at the chef's shiny knife.
Killing me softly with his pen

#14 patjoyce

patjoyce

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:55

This pen is similar to the line of Cross pens marketed under the name penatia several years ago. That effort was aimed at a lower price point market and the Cross name was conspicuously omitted.

The discontinued Bill Blass Line was sold at the factory store for $10.00 for two sets of a pen and pencil.