Omas 361.Now With Pictures

maxrhino

Does anyone have any information on an Omas 361?

I bought one this morning and can't find a web site with info on this model.

It is a piston filler.

It has a black plastic body and has Omas 361 Brev 440022 . 520233 on it.

The cap is gold and is domed with groups of vertical lines and clear areas.

It has Omas Extra 361 on it.

The nib is gold and marked Omas Brevetto.The hood rotates 360 degrees and has a gold inlaid dot on each side.It is hooded like a Parker 51.

There is a gold ring between the barrel and hood.

I don't know anything about Omas but thought i'd chance this one at £20.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

I will post images when I get home tomorrow

Edited by maxrhino

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maxrhino

• Flere-Imsaho

• Dillo

• saintsimon

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

That is a classic, but legendary vintage Omas pen.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

If I don't confuse some memories, the Omas 361 has this rotating hood for changing the nib behaviour: making the nib either stiff or flexy, depending on position. I hope the pen works.

Its shown in the OMAS book (pen 131 and 132 on page 50). It's an OMAS 361 C. If the 2 dots are gold then the pen was produced in 1955 or 1956.

The 361 was launched by Simoni in 1948. The nib is a unique two-sided nib that can be used for different writing styles. In normal orientation the nib is flexible, rotated 180o the nib is stiff. This way you can write nice letters, and mark carbon paper in the office :) The 2 dots are to make sure the pen is held properly, to indicate the 2 writing positions. This has been patented by OMAS.

I assume Parker used this trick in the Parker 180, probably after the OMAS patent expired. Simoni did not want to license the patent to other companies. But this is all just speculation by me.

I assume it has a click cap, not a screw cap?

Please post some images.

Enjoy,

/:) Hans.

From an old add in the book:

OMAS 361

La scrittura a Ricalco è divenuta oggi una necessità sempre più urgente. L’OMAS 361 consente, con la robustezza e scorrevolezza del suo speciale pennino, di scrivere perfettamente a ricalco, oltre che servire per la calligrafia e il disegno.

In vendita a Lire 8500.

Babelfish translation (I do not know Italian)

OMAS 361

The writing to I trace has become today one more and more urgent necessity. OMAS 361 concurs, with the robustness and fluency of its special pen-nib, to write perfectly to traces, beyond that to serve for the handwriting and the design.

In sale to Liras 8500.

smilehttp://home.kpn.nl/geele160/pinno.gifand enjoy the moment

The idea of the rotating hood to alter flexibility is fascinating.

Just a shame there is no ink where i'm staying this weekend.

I've given it a good flushing and am drying it out now.

I assume it has a click cap, not a screw cap?

Yes Hans it is a click cap.

Thanks for your time and the information.

OMAS 361

La scrittura a Ricalco è divenuta oggi una necessità sempre più urgente. L’OMAS 361 consente, con la robustezza e scorrevolezza del suo speciale pennino, di scrivere perfettamente a ricalco, oltre che servire per la calligrafia e il disegno.

In vendita a Lire 8500.

Where the Babelfish has dutifully translated "I trace", I'm sure it means making carbon copies.

Another translation:

Making carbon copies has become a more and more urgent necessity. OMAS 361, with the robustness and fluency of its special nib, works perfectly for carbon copies, as well as for handwriting and design. Available for 8500 Lira.

This thread got me interested in this pen, see the following link t see some pictures of the "rotating nib"

How to Repair - Omas 361 Hood - Act. 2

another site said the 361 was a soon after the end of WW 2 pen design, was well received, and some international patents on it.

enjoy the pen, sounds like an absolute classic! now where can I find one of those :)

-- wells

I would like to thank Hans Geelen for his

time and generosity.

In the post this morning were 5 pages of

colour printed A4 pages scanned from his book on

Omas pens.

They contain more information on the model

than i've been able to find anywhere on the net.

I really do appreciate his time spent on this.

Thanks Hans