Diamine Indigo - Old English Fountain Pen Ink

Sandy1

I realize this is an old post but I just wanted to say that I just tried the Indigo in a BCHR ringtop in my Whitelines notebook and I think it looks pretty good. No feathering or show-through except where I flexed the nib. Quite legible. ymmv

Hi,

Many thanks for adding your positive experience to this Review. :thumbup:

I can certainly see that if a wet nib is used on the tinted paper, Indigo may acquire a bit of character. Or at least be less wishy-washy.

Ah yes - Whitelines: I tried it when it first came to market, and found it was excellent FP friendly paper, with a nice grey tint. I was very happy with my purchase.

But it had lines! :doh:

And it is very rare that I need to use lined paper, so it was relegated to my 'go bag', where it might come in handy. Sometime. Somewhere.

There is the G Lalo 'Velin de France' which has a pale grey tint, is likely to withstand the wetness of a flex nib, and is without lines . . .

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• caco

• bjornhansson

• fuchsiaprincess

Hello,

Recently a comparison of Indigo, Prussian Blue and Denim was posted. LINK

At that time, additional samples were generated that support ad hoc comparison with the current Reviews of Blue inks.

For convenience of the reader, those samples are included below.

Bye,

S1

Written Sample:

Paper: HPJ1124

Pen: Sheaffer 330 + steel M nib.

Scanned at 200 dpi.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/38bc799b.jpg

Hi-Res:

Scanned at 300 dpi

IMG-Thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/th_b5cac751.jpg

Other Stuff:

Smear/Dry Times - Five second increments.

Wet Tests

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20Diamine%20Indigo%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue/f2feb9b5.jpg

-30-

TAGS: Fountain Pen Ink Review Diamine Indigo Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

• 4 months later...

Sorry for coming late to this review. I bought some of this ink a year ago and I think it was a waste of money. Not only did I have the same 'ho-hum'experience with its colouring, I found the ink flowed poorly in my pens. Perhaps I got a bad batch but this ink sits on my regrets pile.

Excellent review though Sandy.

P

Lots of wants, limited funds!

Sorry for coming late to this review. I bought some of this ink a year ago and I think it was a waste of money. Not only did I have the same 'ho-hum'experience with its colouring, I found the ink flowed poorly in my pens. Perhaps I got a bad batch but this ink sits on my regrets pile.

Excellent review though Sandy.

P

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience with this ink :thumbup: - even if it wasn't enjoyable! :(

I do try to separate my personal preferences from the more objective performance aspects of an ink. Alas, this one fell short on both counts. And as your purchase was a year after this Review was posted, (and you bought it anyway!), I reckon you have ink from a different batch, making it likely that the ink depicted here is what one would receive in current/future purchases.

Bye,

S1

• 1 month later...

Sandy, I loved your review. My two favorite colors are Murky and Indistinct, so obviously, when I read your review, I rushed an order for this ink. It is now my official journal ink.

Your produce alone was worth the trip...

mturk - if you like the Indigo you may also like the Diamine Prussian Blue. It has the same easy to read but gentle on the eyes feel as the indigo does.

very good review :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sandy, I loved your review. My two favorite colors are Murky and Indistinct, so obviously, when I read your review, I rushed an order for this ink. It is now my official journal ink.

Hi,

I checked the Ink Review Index, but got no hits on my search for both 'Murky' and 'Indistinct'. Who makes those inks? :rolleyes:

I can go for 'Subtle' and/or 'Nuanced' - MB Blue-Black being my favourite.

Thanks for letting us know that there are those who really do like Indigo; and hope that you can overlook my behaviour when I poke fun at it.

Bye,

S1

very good review :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Hi,

Thanks! and you're welcome!!

Bye,

S1

• 1 year later...

Although not a favorite of mine, I find myself coming back to Diamine Indigo every now and then.

I wonder why it didn´t enjoy a very favourable - even though remarkably thorough, as usual from Sandy1 - review...

What I like about this ink is its very vintage look and its shading.

Below is a humble attempt to show these attributes... I am aware my cursive italic handwriting has a lot to improve and I welcome criticism...

Actually on close looking I think I can even recognize some Indigo colour on this ink with this pen and these papers... but hallucination or delusion are always possible...

http://imageshack.us/a/img189/5583/07bl.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/4722/ekul.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img835/8548/3zn3.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img268/1126/11d.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_jZ-W7iwk8uk/TSiIGRGVN6I/AAAAAAAAAGM/721R51sAPTs/s128/DSC_02380001.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_jZ-W7iwk8uk/TSuSWwodMkI/AAAAAAAAAG0/W-BuiGAD6gg/s128/l.png

Fun, thorough review, Sandy! Add me to the list of folks who enjoy subtler colors and shades from time to time, but I may opt for Prussian Blue or Denim over this one. The scans reminded me of Lamy blue-black before it oxidizes (I'm down to my last two bottles of the IG formula).

If one seeks an indigo color that is not subtle, there's Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng. Bold indigo, that one, with a touch of purple. Sometimes needs a push to leave the pen though.

Although not a favorite of mine, I find myself coming back to Diamine Indigo every now and then.

I wonder why it didn´t enjoy a very favourable - even though remarkably thorough, as usual from Sandy1 - review...

What I like about this ink is its very vintage look and its shading.

Below is a humble attempt to show these attributes... I am aware my cursive italic handwriting has a lot to improve and I welcome criticism...

Actually on close looking I think I can even recognize some Indigo colour on this ink with this pen and these papers... but hallucination or delusion are always possible...

<snip>

Hi,

Thank-you so much for adding another sample! And for sharing with us what it is that keeps you "coming back to Diamine Indigo every now and then". :thumbup:

With such inks it seems there's a point where an ink slips from subtle to blah, which of course is different for each person. Even back when Lamy BlBk had iron-gall, it was a favourite of many, but didn't jangle my bangles.

I think Indigo did get a rather favourable review, its just that it doesn't appeal to me. I've had the same experience with inks such as Lamy Green, Waterman Mysterious Blue and Pelikan 4001 Brown: perfectly good inks that aren't up my street.

I do tend to go a bit far to make sure my impression (the subjective stuff) is separate from the more objective stuff, and I think the Written Samples speak with the loudest voice. I'm always glad that other Members participate in the review process - even some hecklers. As comprehensive as my Reviews might be, they're never complete until other Members chime in to share their experience.

Bye,

S1

Thank you for reading my post and commenting on it. Knowing that it has been useful is the best reward I can get. I agree this ink might border on blah, but I think its charm is in adding some more of a vintage ingredient to fountain pen loving. This vintage quality is for me part of the attractiveness of collecting and using fountain pens. No computer text file or email can compare to the warmth of a parent´s or even older ancestor´s notebook, letter or document forgotten in a wardrobe or drawer. The affects involved are certainly factors. And vintage pens are things which are readily accessible and frequently superior or at least equal to modern items and very often much cheaper. I think it isn't a question of vintageness in itself, it involves something that is practical and useful. Riding a horse-drawn carriage to work isn't very appealing for me... neither is using a pocket watch (that would be extremely ridiculous, I am laughing just at the thought of it), nor hunting and gathering for that matter. But when finding some lost manuscript from decades ago at home or a letter, sometimes even with the envelope and stamp on a flea market, with studied handwriting, line variation and shading, there is a sensation of warmth, calm and serenity which I want to reproduce when writing my own stuff. Many J Herbin inks (specifically Bleu Nuit, Éclat de Saphir, Poussière de Lune, Violette Pensée and Lié de Thé ) seem to offer this sensation. So do the iron gall inks. I also think of Skrip Blue-Black. And Diamine Indigo...

I hope you haven´t felt mine was a heckler's post, it definitely was not my intention. I have great admiration and respect for all your reviews, and when I want to know about a specific ink the first thing I look for is if there is a review written by Sandy1.

Best

Caco

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_jZ-W7iwk8uk/TSiIGRGVN6I/AAAAAAAAAGM/721R51sAPTs/s128/DSC_02380001.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_jZ-W7iwk8uk/TSuSWwodMkI/AAAAAAAAAG0/W-BuiGAD6gg/s128/l.png

• 5 years later...

Even though this review is 9 years old already, I came upon it just today. Delightful to read, as your reviews always are.

I have to say, however, that I'm going to buy it. I like that understated colour.

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)