1994 Namiki Vanishing Point M-nib

Juicyjones

Originally I was reluctant to post another review for a pen already reviewed 28 times on the Fountain Pen Network, but a close look at the index showed that there are only three reviews of the older edition of this pen from the 1990s before Pilot took over all the branding. I would add for your information that my personal bias for fountain pens is daily-writing style workhorse pens, in original vintage.

I also cross-posted this review to my blog, Spacewater. Click here to go there to read it.

I've been wanting a Namiki / Pilot Vanishing Point Capless fountain pen since I first heard of them, but I had never pursued it very seriously, priorities being what they are. But one day during a visit to World Lux (nee Seattle Pen) I struck up a conversation with Todd Craver -- an enthusiastic FP writer from way back -- about this and that and what pens I have on my lists. I must have seemed excited about the VP because at one point he offered to sell me a '94 Vanishing Point from his personal collection at a great price. Obviously I said Yes!

This pen came in a nice Pilot box with the manual and even the original ink cartridge and cartridge cover. The box itself isn't going to win any design awards, but it has a pleasing rubber cover and does the job just fine. In fact, I can't criticize the packaging, you'd hardly expect a Mahogany box for a shirt-pocket People's pen, would you?

I suspect the box is from a new VP, as the instructions are dated 12/08, fourteen years after this pen was made, so that made it especially nice that Todd threw that in. When I picked it up I was so excited to own my own Capless that I actually left the store and made it to the end of the street before I realized I'd left the pen in it's box on the counter back at World Lux. We all had a good laugh about that.

Appearance & Design ( 9 / 10 )

My Namiki VP was made in 1994, and these pens have the colest retro-60's look that I absolutely love. The faceted plastic body is a bit dated-looking now, but you can't help but want to high-five the designer of this pen for that fantastic clip covering the section and the overall look of the pen.

I gave this pen a 9 here because of my personal predelection for it's ingenoius design and just pure utility. It looks cool and people do a double-take when I hand it to them befcause after they click that big button they're expecting a ballpoint in there.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2741/4446551557_6ba7c99a4f_b.jpg

Construction & Quality ( 7 / 10 )

This pen is just about exactly what you'd expect from an inexpensive pen in the '90s. It's well-made and works beautifully but the faceted barrel feels cheap and I worry about the barrel cracking around the screws holding the body together.

One small flaw in my particular pen is that there are two or three scratches on the barrl alongside the clip in parallel. I'm not concerned at all about the fact that they're there, but rather it makes me question the longevity of this pen. Can it last thirty more years? Under normal use, most certainly, but it's not going to look very good.

So I definitely will be avoiding dropping this pen, for it would surely mar. And accidentally stepping on this pen would almost certainly crack the barrel.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4466468360_28aed9c8f3_b.jpg

Weight & Dimensions ( 9 / 10 )

The VP is a lightweight pen and very comfortable to write with. I have large hands and the gentle taper of the barrel makes it very easy to hold. Later VPs got a wider barrel circumference, and that's about the only thing I would wish for.

Some have complained about the clip placement on these pens interfering with the way they hold the pen but I don't have a significant problem with it. The takeaway point here is make sure to think about holding one of these and writing a whole page before you buy one.

I scored the pen a 9 in this category because the size and design are nearly perfect for it's intended use -- a carry-around pen you can throw in any bag or clip to any pocket.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2797/4466468930_fb00d15412_b.jpg

Nib & Performance ( 8.5 / 10 )

My particular VP came with a Limited Edition (i.e. white gold 18k gold) M nib, and writes what I would call medium-wet. I feel like the nib has a bit of a sweet spot that's minutely opposed to my natural writing angle but it's so minor I am only mentioning it because I think it's possible it could drive some writers crazy.

Writing is smooth and the pen easily keeps up with my most furious scribbling. This wasn't the case initially, as you can see from the photo below, but soon enough the pen smoothed out for me after a few more pages. The pen also starts up every time I click it out of it's little rabbit-hole, which is something I can't honestly say about even my beloved Estie J.

I rated the pen an 8.5 in this category because it works exactly as I hoped it would -- medium wet, teeny bit of tooth, and it's a one-handed click away from gliding across any page.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2787/4466467134_a67f9047e2_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4446564055_9dcdbab749_b.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance ( 8 / 10 )

The VP comes with the ability to use cartridges or a cheap but functional standard-issue plate-press type converter that is simple to use and easy to clean.

One could certainly find fault with the small amount of ink the converter holds relative to a piston filler, but to me this is a necessary trade-off because of the one-handed design. I write quite a bit and I only have to fill up the pen every other day or less, so it holds plenty of ink for daily use. My cell phone requires a lot more maintenance than this pen.

Cost & Value ( 8.5 / 10 )

This pen cost me us$80 and I feel like I got a great deal. That is just about the lower end of the going rate for these and because I bought it from a private local seller, I was able to save tax and shipping.

I must point out thought that if I were buying a new pen today, and not a vintage one, the plastic-y barrel would probably not be acceptable at that price. In fact that's the only reason I rated the VP an 8.5 in this category instead of a 9.

Conclusion ( 8.5 / 10 )

My only real complaint about the Namiki Vanishing Poing is the plastic barrel. Taken as a whole, this pen delivers exactly what it advertises: an extremely stylish, ingenious, one-handed retractable fountain pen that is a pleasure to write with and never seems to leak or fail me.

Edited by Juicyjones

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lfmarsan

• Juicyjones

• SpecTP

• brattpitt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i enjoyed your review, thanx! i like the look of the old VP's, but i much rather have the later metal models. congrats!

Nice review. thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

First, who cares how many reviews there are of a certain pen, myself, the more the better when I'm thinking about a pen purchase. And thanks to MYU for including all reviews in the database.

I love these pens but don't own an older model. The faceted barrel is really attractive. 80 bucks? I would have bought this in a heartbeat. Good job on the review.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

<br>i enjoyed your review, thanx! i like the look of the old VP's, but i much rather have the later metal models. congrats!<br>
<br><br>These old VP's are by far the most comfortable to write with, the sleek design of the clip into the body is vastly superior to the modern ones. ( IMHO of course)biggrin.gif Edited by framebaer

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I do love this pen. :)

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

Good review. :thumbup: I have a blue version (same year) and I like it a lot. In fact between the blue VP and my Raden VP the blue one fits better in my hand.

I enjoyed your review. I am considering purchasing one of these pens. Thanks for the detailed information, it was very helpful.

Carol

I have one question... this VP has the same ink capacity like the modern VP? I want one of this but I'm thinking about 'cause I would prefer if i find one with more ink capability

Nice review! Thanks for taking the time to write and post it. :thumbup:

An identical pen sits in my collection, purchased back in the day when not everyone understood it. Just as you said, it's a wonderful pen and a great daily writer even tho the converter capacity is limited.

If you like other nibs, you might keep an eye on Dannzeman (here on FPN). He buys the nibs and turns them into stubs. I got a B stub from him, and it has given a whole new life to the pen.

I have one question... this VP has the same ink capacity like the modern VP? I want one of this but I'm thinking about 'cause I would prefer if i find one with more ink capability

Yes, or at least I know mine does and the nibs are interchangeable. Mine has a modern 18k limited edition nib in it because I had to exchange the original B nib unit that had a tiny micro-crack in the section. Frankly though, the piston converter sucks just about as badly as the squeeze plate model. The trade-off with this pen is you fill it every other day or more often. Hope that helps. :)

First, who cares how many reviews there are of a certain pen, myself, the more the better when I'm thinking about a pen purchase. And thanks to MYU for including all reviews in the database.

i agree 100%...

Thanks so much for your review. I own this model in black (except that it has “Pilot” on the clip and not “Namiki”). I bought it in Tokyo in one of the most amazing stationary stores I’ve ever seen (Itoya ?) in the spring of 1993. I don't recall how much I paid for the pen, which I'd never heard of before, but I suspect that the amount was more than I'd ever spent on a fountain pen to that point. It quickly became one of my favorite writers and your review has reminded me to dig it out and get it into rotation. (And you're right about the plastic. I dropped the pen several years after I got it and a small piece chipped out of the end next to the push-button. Fortunately, I was able to get a replacement part and it looks nearly as good as new.)

• 3 years later...

In the mid 90s I was discussing pens with a Pilot sales rep at an Art Show and mentioned fountain pens. He said he had some in his case that never sell and I could have one for £10. I did not know what I was buying but found I owned a Pilot capless. I love the old styling of the clip as one piece of steel.

It does not live on this stand, my P51 pen and pencil are happy there at present, even though Rotring 700s fit better.

Durham K

• 1 year later...

I just came across this post after trying to determine the year of my Namiki VP. I believe we have precisely the same pen, though mine has a yellow gold nib. I believe it's medium, though I'm not able to see if there's any such marking. Mine is also burgundy. I inherited it along with several other nice fountain pens when my father-in-law passed away about 7 years ago. This pen is truly one of my favorites, not only because of the incredibly cool design, but it also lays down a nice wet line and has almost no feedback. It's like skating on ice with warm blades. I also share an appreciation for your point regarding its reliability. I hadn't used this pen in well over a week, and assumed I'd need to prime it by dipping the end in water - wrong! The nib jumped out of its fox hole and layed down a steady wet line as soon as it hit the paper. I wish all my pens (including some of the fairly expensive ones) wrote as well and as reliably as this one. :-)

post-100454-0-65401400-1424814899.jpg

I love this pen as well; I have two: A green Namiki-labelled VP that I purchased from Levenger in the late '90s & a Stealth Black labelled "Pilot"that I purchased privately in ~2000. However, it came with an older plastic Pilot box. I just love them & wish that Pilot would bring back the pen as a limited edition; they'd have my dollars!

• 6 years later...

Hi,

Sorry to answer in this long inactive topic, but I was looking for some help with a very similar pen I just started to use today.

It is a Pilot Capless faceted black/steel pen with 14k gold M nib stamped A1198, so it is the previous model of the current Vanishing Point, manufactured close to the end of the model's life.

My issue with the pen is about the nib: the upstrokes are much thinner/drier than the downstrokes, and this behaviour is worse as the writing angle increases.

This forces me to hold the pen more "parallel" to the paper than I'm used to and getting a wider line than I expected from a Japanese M nib.  

Apart from that, the nib is smooth and does not hard-start or anything ugly...

Anyone having experienced the same behaviour? Is it caused by the "bent-like" nib shape? Any idea to make the lines more consistent whatever the direction of the stroke?

Thanks!  

pilot capless nib issue.jpg