The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Which pen will the president use to sign health care reform into law?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Scribero ergo sum

Scribero ergo sum

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 17:08

I thought I'd gotten control of my inner pen fiend last summer. But last night, while flipping back and forth between Sportscenter and live coverage of the health care vote, my first thought when I heard the bill passed was, "I wonder if President Obama will use some sort of special pen so he can give them away after he signs, like the newsreels that show Roosevelt or Johnson or Clinton doing so?"

Obviously, there's more work to be done on my whole pen thing, but beyond that...what sort of pen do you think the president will use when he signs the legislation into law (apparently tomorrow, Tuesday, 3/23)?

Does he go with a personal favorite, maybe a foreign model? Does he go with an American pen, probably a Cross or maybe a Parker? Or does he go all zoot-suit and use some sort of uber-nifty Montblanc?

(ps - keep it politics free.)

I admit, I have no idea. So just for grins, I'm making two guesses:

1) that black Lamy Studio that another FPN thread talked about last summer, even if that pen was merely the pen that came on the guest book in Germany; maybe he likes those.

2) a black and silver Cross Affinity Selectip. Why? Why not...it's more-or-less the latest model from the last, prominent American pen company. Plus, it's sharp, and since Cross only offers the C-Series Selectip with a twist-action, the Affinity would probably get the nod, since it has the more classic cap-on-cap-off profile.

Sponsored Content

#2 ANM

ANM

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 17:43

I believe I read that his official signing pen is a Cross Townsend. I think it is a rollerball. I am sure he will give them away.
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

#3 kaissa

kaissa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2010 - 17:48

I believe I read that his official signing pen is a Cross Townsend. I think it is a rollerball. I am sure he will give them away.

+1.

IIRC this is the official pen:

http://www.cross.com...ens&id=AT0045-4

Regards,
Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

#4 yachtsilverswan

yachtsilverswan

Atlanta

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2010 - 17:53

President Obama's White House ordered specially engraved Presidential Signing Pens from A.T. Cross at the beginning of his term.

The pens are all rollerballs, made in China, because Cross moved all manufacturing to China in 2006.

There were some interesting threads on the topic just after the inauguration, when President Obama signed his first Executive Orders. Amusingly, the new President was unable to remove the cap from the Cross Townsend Signing Pens - a staffer had to assist. Now an entire tray of a dozen or so pens is brought to each signing with the caps already removed and posted.

Like other US Presidents before him, for important legislation President Obama will invite to the signing ceremony a dozen of the figures most important to the bill's passage. The President will sign the legislation into law with a dozen pens, using one pen for a small part of his signature, and then switching to a different pen. Then he will distribute the pens to the assembled honorees. Some people collect Presidential Signing Pens, though I have not seen much discussion of that niche here on FPN.

Here is a photo from the White House Flickr Stream showing President Obama's signing pens, prepared and delivered by a staffer:
http://www.flickr.co...use/4186334101/

Edited by yachtsilverswan, 22 March 2010 - 18:11.

Ray
Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib
Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib
Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib
David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib
Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib
Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib
Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

#5 yachtsilverswan

yachtsilverswan

Atlanta

• Member - Gold

• 2,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2010 - 18:35

I'm going to say something filled with washable, non-permanent ink...

Actually, I wonder what the archival qualities would be of Cross rollerball ink refills made in China.

The US Constitution and the Declaration of Independence are now almost unreadable in natural light, as the ink has faded over time.

Given the legal and archival needs of original signed legislation, I'm surprised there is not more discussion of the issue.

When then President-Elect Obama's Transition Team was finalizing a contract for signing pens with A. T. Cross, I pointed out that Cross pens and Cross refills are now entirely made in China, and I suggested that archival qualities of ink subjected to Chinese quality control might not be suitable for Presidential archival demands. I was ignored.
Ray
Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib
Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib
Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib
David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib
Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib
Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib
Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

#6 bluemagister

bluemagister

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 18:42

I believe that only US made pens and ink, or at least pens and ink from FRIENDLY nations be used for such documents. Noodler's ink should be engaged to produce a special "Presidential Ink" for such occasions and US master pen makers should get contracts for pens to use. I think it would go a long way in reintroducing FP pride and culture back into mainstream media. Imagine news channels doing specials on Noodler's inks and Goulet Pens!

#7 bluemagister

bluemagister

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 854 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 18:44

If the Cross pens are using gel ink refills and the ink isn't dye based, it'll be archival for centuries, just like a carbon pigment. There are cheap, 10-for-a-dollar gel pens that are better archival pens than a G2 or FP ink. I've pH-tested many brands and done torture tests on them and found them to be pretty bulletproof.

The telling trait is if the gel plug in the back of the Cross refill is clear or yellow.

#8 riff raff

riff raff

It's astounding...

• Member - Gold

• 978 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2010 - 18:46

[...] Amusingly, the new President was unable to remove the cap from the Cross Townsend Signing Pens - a staffer had to assist. Now an entire tray of a dozen or so pens is brought to each signing with the caps already removed and posted. [...]

Okay, now that's funny. :clap1:
-mike

"...Madness takes its toll."

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." – J.R.R. Tolkien

#9 jeff9

jeff9

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 18:59

Wow, I guess Parker is no longer "The Pen of Presidents".

#10 pkoko

pkoko

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2010 - 19:02

I wonder what color will he use?
I think of my FPs as my children.

#11 karmakoda

karmakoda

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,005 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2010 - 19:06

I guarantee it won't be one of the cheap hand-out pens produced by the pharmaceutical companies or related health insurance corporations.
Maybe the pen of a paramedic, or a nurse. Or Dr. Oz?

Edited by karmakoda, 22 March 2010 - 19:06.

#12 Stylo

Stylo

Polisson

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,007 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 21:15

Moderator's note: A number of inappropriate political posts have been removed. I am giving this thread one more chance. Those who can't control themselves to stay on topic, please don't continue reading this thread.

#13 PianoMan14

PianoMan14

The Grumpy Fuzzball

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 21:33

Moderator's note: A number of inappropriate political posts have been removed. I am giving this thread one more chance. Those who can't control themselves to stay on topic, please don't continue reading this thread.

Because of my (lack of) self control with political issues, I will not comment or post in this thread!

Oops.

I had always imagined Mr. Obama using some sort of a BIC stick with a flag on it, or perhaps one of the Surefire pens. Now that would be all American.

Edited by PianoMan14, 22 March 2010 - 21:34.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

#14 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 21:52

Posted Image

P.S. I don't know who made this gif. I just made it shorter, smaller.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#15 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 22:02

If the Cross pens are using gel ink refills and the ink isn't dye based, it'll be archival for centuries, just like a carbon pigment. There are cheap, 10-for-a-dollar gel pens that are better archival pens than a G2 or FP ink. I've pH-tested many brands and done torture tests on them and found them to be pretty bulletproof.

G2 doesn't survive bleach as well as some of the Noodler's bulletproofs do.

Here's a really fun set of torture tests.
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#16 Juicyjones

Juicyjones

Reissued for 2013

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:39

I believe that only US made pens and ink, or at least pens and ink from FRIENDLY nations be used for such documents. Noodler's ink should be engaged to produce a special "Presidential Ink" for such occasions and US master pen makers should get contracts for pens to use. I think it would go a long way in reintroducing FP pride and culture back into mainstream media. Imagine news channels doing specials on Noodler's inks and Goulet Pens!

President Obama is an over-writing lefty. He's not going to bring back frountain pens. :)
"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

Posted Image

#17 Dace

Dace

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 13:03

B.H. Obama will likely use a Cross Townsend made in China. There were some posts on his pen choice in the past.

Edited by Dace, 23 March 2010 - 14:13.

#18 Scribero ergo sum

Scribero ergo sum

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 16:21

Just found this at one of the news sites:

"...the president will use 20 pens to sign the bill, and that one each will go to Democratic Senators Reid, Durbin, Baucus, Harkin, and Dodd; along with Representatives Pelosi, Hoyer, Clyburn, Miller, Waxman, Levin, Dingell, and Rangel. Pens will also go to Vice-President Biden, H&HS Secretary Sebelius, White House legislative affairs assistant Phil Schiliro, White House health policy chief Nancy-Ann DeParle, Vicki Kennedy, and Sr. Carol Keehan."

It didn't include the name of the pen, but an earlier post in this thread identified a special model of the Cross Townsend as the one the president uses (I believe it's this one: http://www.cross.com...&page=1&index=4).

#19 Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed

Collector of Eclectic Knowledge

• Member - Gold

• 3,798 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 16:28

I suspect that the Presidential signing pen is not even something the President gives a lot of thought to. It is probably part of a GSA contract and was selected by a government bid process. Someone on the staff of the Whitehouse probably orders new ones with the incoming President's signature as part of the transition process.

John
So if you have a lot of ink,
You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

#20 handwriter

handwriter

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 972 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2010 - 16:37

Juycyjones "President Obama is an over-writing lefty. He's not going to bring back frountain pens."

Rick Propas is an overwriter left-handed too, so if this counts fountain pens are strongly coming back :rolleyes:

http://www.nibs.com/...and writers.htm
I'm a user, baby. We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

Sponsored Content

|