Lamy Green

Sandy1

Thank you, saved me E3.75 or so...and space in my beer much collection where my inks hide.

...well now to read about Pelikan green....It's cheap and a start...possibly.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• bwnewton

• Bo Bo Olson

• smwknits

It's not the greatest green but, in my opinion, it's not as bad as some let on. It behaves well, it's affordable, and if you use Moleskine cahiers or Ampad Gold Fibre Planning Pads, it looks good, which, again, is my opinion. I've had people select it over Diamine Emerald (which I like) when provided writing samples. And, I like Parker Quink Green over Lamy Green. I just don't think it needs to be beat up on quite so badly considering it behaves well. :)

Thank you, saved me E3.75 or so...and space in my beer much collection where my inks hide.

...well now to read about Pelikan green....It's cheap and a start...possibly.

Yes, one must be careful, otherwise you'll have beer hiding in your ink collection. Glad to save you the cost. And a wasted bottle of ink. -- S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

It's not the greatest green but, in my opinion, it's not as bad as some let on. It behaves well, it's affordable, and if you use Moleskine cahiers or Ampad Gold Fibre Planning Pads, it looks good, which, again, is my opinion. I've had people select it over Diamine Emerald (which I like) when provided writing samples. And, I like Parker Quink Green over Lamy Green. I just don't think it needs to be beat up on quite so badly considering it behaves well. :)

OK OK - I did give this ink a rather rough ride, BUT that was only about the colour. Indeed, the ink is a really quite good performer : as both you and I point-out. I just couldn't get past the colour. I do try to be objective about the tests & samples. So the reader may completely ignore my commentary and just look at the ink. And I think its good when people disagree - let's have some dialogue!

I much appreciate your suggested papers, and taking the time to make observations about how people may choose amongst the vast array of Green inks in the market.

Bye,

S1

I am new to ink(7), and even newer to papers.

Lamy Turquoise, on the printer paper I had was a nice color...only; no matter what nib I used. Then I saw it shading on some one's review.

Some very nice person took the time to make me a 60 color ink swatch and written examples, on Landre`'s Oxford Optic paper (No Greens.). I put some on that paper and Lamy Turquoise, shaded. :eureka: :eureka: :eureka:

Suddenly I understood 1/3 paper, 1/3 nib, 1/3 ink. Get the right paper and right nib, and an ink dances instead of being a wallflower. I had read that before; but had not the understanding to comprehend what they were saying.

I also have to go print out, the Review sheets, so I know what to look for.

I think semi-flex pens do more to an ink than normal flex pens. (Yesterday, with my new Pelikan brown....I discovered by accident a pen I bought some 6 months ago, inked only once, which was empty and there for usable as an ink container was semi-flexible. Yep on the whole 6 months ago I did not know what semi-flex was.)

I don't have any flex nibs yet.

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know. :unsure:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

OK OK - I did give this ink a rather rough ride, BUT that was only about the colour. Indeed, the ink is a really quite good performer : as both you and I point-out. I just couldn't get past the colour. I do try to be objective about the tests & samples. So the reader may completely ignore my commentary and just look at the ink. And I think its good when people disagree - let's have some dialogue!

I much appreciate your suggested papers, and taking the time to make observations about how people may choose amongst the vast array of Green inks in the market.

Bye,

S1

You're welcome.

• 4 months later...

What a sweetly pastoral color. Granted, it doesn't exactly seem appropriate for use as a writing ink, even in recreational settings. But it might make a fine highlighter choice.

What a sweetly pastoral color. Granted, it doesn't exactly seem appropriate for use as a writing ink, even in recreational settings. But it might make a fine highlighter choice.

I tend to use it for underlining and marginalia.

Oddly, I used a Dollar 717i that had been sitting with some of this ink in it for a couple of weeks (I know, not good). However, it came out as a rich, darker green due to the evaporation in the nib. It would've been a great green that way!

Very nice green and well behaved in my Lamy Vista. If you want a REALLY BAD color, try Lamy Red.

Very nice green and well behaved in my Lamy Vista. If you want a REALLY BAD color, try Lamy Red.

Hi,

I'm glad you like the colour, and the performance cannot be faulted.

But really - I'll leave the Review of Lamy Red to others.

(I mix most of my own Reds from Magenta+Yellow, and some mixes are nasty indeed.)

Bye,

S1

Hi,

I'm glad you like the colour, and the performance cannot be faulted.

But really - I'll leave the Review of Lamy Red to others.

(I mix most of my own Reds from Magenta+Yellow, and some mixes are nasty indeed.)

Bye,

S1

....a w.i.s.e choice.

• 3 months later...

A long time ago, I'd bought a Lamy Persona, that I did not use because it was an OB Nail. Now it has a Pendleton point,in antique blue cartridges, from 2000.

A year or so ago, I bought violet and green cartridges. In that green was not my favorite color to start with, I was not going to buy a bottle.

I will now have two pens with Violet in them, and leave the unopened green cartridges in my will to ... some one who deserves it.

Hi, being of sound mind and body, I spent it all but the Lamy Green.

Thanks for the warning, Sandy.

I love your ink reviews, Sandy and almost always agree with your conclusions 100%.

However, I really don't mind this colour. I think it's a nice laid back, "zen" kind of ink that is easily readable on the page and quite bright and cheerful without being jarring. IME it's just a tiny bit more saturated and a tiny bit less yellow than these samples appear on my monitor.

There is no sophistication in this colour at all (and I'm on a more sophisticated colour thing at the moment) so I don't use it myself. OTOH, my husband uses it exclusively, despite my offering to ink his pen with a different colour every time it runs out. He uses his FP mostly for the daily crosswords (on printer paper, not newsprint). I think Lamy Green matches his personality perfectly - cheerfully calm, unassuming, but not boring.

When I was into primary colours and was using this colour for calligraphy practice, I found the overall impression soothing and pleasing to the eye.

Colour preferences aside, it has performed really well in every pen we've put it.

I don't think it's ever going to be my number one colour, but I love that it suits my hubby so well.

I love your ink reviews, Sandy and almost always agree with your conclusions 100%.

However, I really don't mind this colour. I think it's a nice laid back, "zen" kind of ink that is easily readable on the page and quite bright and cheerful without being jarring. IME it's just a tiny bit more saturated and a tiny bit less yellow than these samples appear on my monitor.

There is no sophistication in this colour at all (and I'm on a more sophisticated colour thing at the moment) so I don't use it myself. OTOH, my husband uses it exclusively, despite my offering to ink his pen with a different colour every time it runs out. He uses his FP mostly for the daily crosswords (on printer paper, not newsprint). I think Lamy Green matches his personality perfectly - cheerfully calm, unassuming, but not boring.

When I was into primary colours and was using this colour for calligraphy practice, I found the overall impression soothing and pleasing to the eye.

Colour preferences aside, it has performed really well in every pen we've put it.

I don't think it's ever going to be my number one colour, but I love that it suits my hubby so well.

I agree with your sentiments toward the behavior and shade of this green. It looks especially good on Ampad Gold Fibre Planning Pad paper, IMO. I use it from time to time for underlining and marginalia. It is a very rich looking green when it has "evaporated" a bit in a Dollar 717i fp, too.

Edited by bwnewton

• 2 years later...

I dislike Lamy Green; it is too pale; it don't do much shading either.Something green food coloring might improve.

I did a 6 green ink test on some 13 papers lately. As expected Lamy finished last.

How ever to my :yikes: on a couple of papers it did well.

1 point for 1st on a paper, 2 for second and 3 for third and so on. Criteria, color + Shading.

Inks tested Pelikan Green #1 (20 points), R&K Verdura #2 by a hair (21 points), Edelstein Aventurine, (26 points)distant 3rd (semi-flex can be too wet, swallowing up shading...depending on the paper). DA Moss Green, might have tested a bit higher in it was in an EF nib. Diamine Meadow Green barely edged out Lamy, but never finished as high as Lamy did on a couple of papers.

Given a choice between having Lamy Green and Diamine Green Meadow, I'd take Lamy.

Gmund Blanc Beige 120, Lamy 'almost looks good' & shades, even Green Meadow looks good.

On 120 g Avery glossy, Aventurine & Lamy tied :yikes: for third behind Pelikan green and R&K.

German Brunner paper is not very good. I'd thought the 120 g was ok, it wasn't. There DA Moss green was first, Lamy 2nd, then Pelikan Green, R&K and Aventurine.

I'm so glad I only got the cartridges back when I was 'noobie'.

I don't think it's worth buying the three papers I mentioned just for your Lamy green.

If you have a bottle of the stuff...at least you have a classic bottle, you can use for other inks. Lamy Green is a waste of a good glass bottle.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

For a company with such great pens, I have found most Lamy inks to be disappointing at best. Their black is the exception.

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]

Their turquoise is good; for the longest time the basis turquoise that all others were measured...(well at least in Europe), If you use 90g or better paper, it shades.

The violet is also good, but is cartridge only.

The blue black had a following...I don't know about the new US safe version, with no iron gall.

:eureka: I can take the green cartridge out my Safari and put in a blue-black cartridge I just got. ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I really enjoyed your review. And I recognise all the comments you made. Yet, for a few years now, I've also been enjoying Lamy Green... But mixed. I mix 4 portions of Lamy Green with one of Pelikan brilliant black to get this result:

14270044603_cfe826ded0_b.jpg

It's a rather dark green (darker than on the pic), GvF moss-pics alwas remind me of 'my' green. Has some shading too (probably 'cause of mixing?) and combines well (to my taste) with my Montegrappa.

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Hi,

I really enjoyed your review. And I recognise all the comments you made. Yet, for a few years now, I've also been enjoying Lamy Green... But mixed. I mix 4 portions of Lamy Green with one of Pelikan brilliant black to get this result:

<snip>

It's a rather dark green (darker than on the pic), GvF moss-pics alwas remind me of 'my' green. Has some shading too (probably 'cause of mixing?) and combines well (to my taste) with my Montegrappa.

Hi,

I'm glad you enjoyed the Review.

It seems that we have come to the same means of disposition - into the Mixing Corral!

I do like the blend you've conjured. :)

Bye,

S1