• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bushido

• 79spitfire

• ethernautrix

• Vladimir

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fine nibs are for etching and nibs like nails are for braille. Real writers use flex and broadness to show off their lack of writing skills.

Peter.

so... what do you use, boring mediocre medium nibs? :hmm1: ... just wondering!

MB Toffee is just great for regular flex boring Medium nibs. Made me lose my prejudice picked up here about boring medium nibs.

All my teacher went to heaven, having spent their time in hell reading hen scratch...mine included. Medium is good for hen scratch too.

uh uh, i wouldn't call a "flex" medium "boring"!

The phrase "workhorse pen" sounds so silly that it sets my remaining teeth on edge.

Back in prehistoric times, like, say, the first half of the 20th century, what exactly were these pen things designed to do? What did people actually then do with these pen things? Oh, yeah ... they wrote with them. Every day. Everywhere.

They were all designed and sold for writing. Hopefully, they were all fit for the ordinary use for which they were intended.

I use my pens. I wear my jewelry. I can still tell them apart. :)

Now, where's my horse? We've got fields to plow ...

First installment of no doubt many to come:

People who say an ink's lack of water resistance is a "deal breaker". To which I respond - yeah right, as if anything you could write needs to be permanent.

Kit fountain pens with their honkin big threaded sections – so really, all you did was turn the outside of a tube? Kinda reminds me of the cartoon of the toothpick factory turning single toothpicks from giant trees.

b

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

I like my Moleskine day planner more than my Rhodia notebook

I have four ballpoints: a Montblanc, A Parker Jotter, An old yet sentimental favourite, and a telecom giveaway pen that I would buy a refill for

I dislike one thing about the Parker 51: Its look. You're supposed to see nibs, points, and feeds!

• 2 months later...

Interesting topic.

For some reason I like cheap things. I don't know why, maybe it's because I can't afford much else.

Ditto! I also like getting a good deal/great value for my money and not worrying about losing or damaging my pens.

A confession: I like my pens a bit flashy and pretty :blush:, though not blingy. I find the classic black pen with gold trims a bit plain and boring and common-looking. :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by cocojj

worse than pen fanboys are those who critique entire brands, unless it's clinically proven to be true (*cough* krone)

Worse than those are those who 'critique' entire countries.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

• 8 months later...

Well my (ill-opinioned) rant today:

The Lamy 2000 does write well - but - its a boring pen!

No matter how many times I've heard people adopt their curator's hat about how Bauhaus the pen is and the design is over 40 years old blah! I do have one and its a LOVELY writer but its boring.

I hate fp people who say they're not objectional and in the their same (or another) thread is judgemental of a person based on their choice in pen or brand. I exclude those who do it in jest or in friendly banter.

Oh yes and if one's preferred choice in ink is black, it doesnt mean one is boring.

Oh yes and if one's preferred choice in nib is medium, it doesnt mean one is boring.

And if one prefers to change your pens ink colour every other page doesnt mean you're fickle (hmm...I'll take that rant line back)

And before you respond to my rant, read the OP's post. Yeah the post is old, but its a rant!

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

I don't like Omas, Montegrappa or Visconti. Nibs with too much flex and uneven ink flow.

I don't like fancily designed pens with ornamentation that prevents it from being used as a writing instrument.

I can't understand Delta or Bexley, or Namiki.

I don't like metal body pens, and I like metal sections even less.

I don't like Noodler's ink, tried it once, flows poorly and the bottles are ugly.

I will try to avoid buying pens with converters, but I do have a few such pens.

"It's a tool, not a jewel"

Parker 51's are great everyday pens, hold lots of ink and are unpretentious.

VP's are almost as unpretentious yet draw that curious glance but people are afraid to ask about.

Never liked Mont Blancs. Has to do with my early days on Wall Street when the self-annointed "untouchables" would show off their Mont Blancs as a symbol of their "greatness."

These are not taboos. They are complaints.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

What is a fude nibbed pen?

...So fude is Chinese or Japanese for what - ski-jump? :)

.. i think fude was something I ate for breakfast... somewhere in Southern California..

Eat FUDE ... DOOD! :P B)

--pin

=============================

Squidquote of the moment follows:

The problem with the inevitable, is that it always happens.

Edited by pinbs JP

•  
  • black pens (bhr excused)... why get a pen you can't tell from any other pen?
  • loud-colored pens

Uh, what? :doh:

Isn't it obvious? This person hates pens. That's why he/she is here... in a pen forum... :gaah:

--pin

You ching, They ching, We all ching for I Ching

Fountain pen taboos?

1. Never use an open-nib pen to apply Preparation H. That is what hooded pens are for.

2. If you are in an English pub, do not let your pen out of your sight. It might wind up on the dart board.

3. Fountain pens are not can openers. There are some exceptions, however.

4. Do not use a fountain pen to write on a duck's back. It will feather badly.

Wow... I think I may have a kindred spirit... :roflmho:

--pin

HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR GYNOTERRORIST TODAY?

It doesn't matter how I feel about the marketing or some of the other stuff which has come to be associated with MB--every time I see one of those huge, horking gold nibs on a 149 (especially an older one), I really, really want one.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Sterling silver pens. What sort of sick mind came up with that idea? They are so unpleasant to touch...yuck!

It annoys me that in so many fountain pen reviews and discussions people talk about how broad nibs are never broad enough. I have trued broad nibs before and I could not tell how it was supposed to be different from a crayola marker. There is a reason there are so few vintage pens with broad nibs: you never need that fat off a line for real writing. Ok, I'm done.

I have never spent more than $120 on a pen and I'm happy with the pens I have. I've tried more expensive ones and not really noticed a difference, but they "felt" more expensive. I have a selection of Chinese pens with solid gold nibs and celluoid, they are amazing for $40, enough said! Tabooo

I hate all pens with cartridge/converter systems.

If I buy a rOtring 600 FP/RB/MP set I'm turning the RP in a BP and I'm converting the FP into a piston filler frankenpen.

I hate all modern Parkers.

The Parker 45 is overrated. It's just a CC pen.

I like Montbanc's pens but they're just too expensive.

I'll never write with an Aurora without getting the tooth ground off the nib.

Ah yes... before I forget: I don't get the deal with super-broad nibs. I can not write functionally with a broad. If I need to write daily I need a fine line.

Right, I almost forgot this too. I use black ink because it's practical. I can't use slightly violet-indigo ink with slight yellow overtones at school or work. Just because I use black ink doesn't make it boring.

I hate Lamy's new pens. The only Lamy I'd ever buy is a 27. The new ones have nibs that are far too wide. The Safari/Al-Star/Vistas have that god-awful grip. The 2000 needs to be fixed every two years. I'm not doing that.

Edited by Number3124

Wish-list: Parker 51 India Black Vacumatic. Green Parker Vacumatic Maxima. Visconti Homo Sapien. Aurora Optima and Vintage 88. Lamy 27. Sheaffer Pen For Men V. Moss-Agate Waterman Patrician, Pelikan Souverän M450. I just need to win the lottery now.