Bexley 10th Anniversary or Waterman Liaison

arvadajames

Which would you buy - please include comments if you have any.  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you buy - please include comments if you have any.

• Bexley orange ebonite 10th anniversary
    • Waterman orange ebonite Liaison

I am looking for a orange ebonite FP, please vote for your recommendation and please post any comments that might help me decide. I have never seen either of these pens in person. I have never seen a Bexley pen of any sort in person. I have a Phileas, and love it. I like wet, buttery smooth nibs.

Thanks

James

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arvadajames

• sonia_simone

• southpaw

• Roger

Bexley all the way!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I have both and I love them both but the Bexley is the better pen FOR ME!!! It is not as long and it is not as heavy because there is no metal in the barrel in comparison to the Liaison.

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Southpaw - Why Bexley? What is there about them that you like so much? Have you tried the Liaison? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Noble Savage - Do you know how the size and weight would compare to the Sheaffer Legacy 2? I have this pen and love it. I tend to favor heavier pens, but not necessarily longer pens. How do the nibs compare as far as smoothness and wetness?

Antoniosz - What do you mean by softer nib? Do you mean smoother or is there some flex in the Bexley that is not in the Waterman?

To all who have or have tried both pens - Which is the better looking pen (I know, highly objective question), but is the ebonite better looking on one verses the other, is the quality of finish higher, etc.

To all - thanks for your input.

Edited by arvadajames

Personally, I don't like modern Watermans. I prefer the Bexley aesthetically, but also their nibs and service are tops. The nibs are smooth, have good flow, and aren't hard as nails - they've got some spring in them.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Don't assume that the more expensive Watermans will be better writers than the Phileas--for some weird reason, the low-priced Phileas is the star of their show right now.

The Watermans definitely have their devotees, but for the most part Bexley has the better reputation for writing well. Too bad you can't buy the orange ebonite Bexley from Richard Binder, that would make it an absolute no-brainer.

As for looks, I haven't seen either--I'd say Google around, open two windows side by side, and decide based on your own gut. Both brands make very good-looking pens, IMO.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

One thing about the Liaison--that metal ring near the section is a candidate for eventual corrosion because of contact with ink. I have a Waterman Gentleman that does have some pitting on a similarly placed ring.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

One thing about the Liaison--that metal ring near the section is a candidate for eventual corrosion because of contact with ink. 

Not so with the Liaison! It has a different filling system in that the blind cap is rotated CCW and that rotation completely releases the nib/section/converter assembly. The trim ring stays with the barrel assembly and doesn't come into play during the filling.

It's a clever and possibly unique system where one can have the trim ring without the fear of pitting and corrosion through the GP of the trim ring. Works good! Wonder why more don't use this arrangement?

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

The Watermans definitely have their devotees, but for the most part Bexley has the better reputation for writing well. Too bad you can't buy the orange ebonite Bexley from Richard Binder, that would make it an absolute no-brainer.

I was wondering about this.

- Jonathan

Ah, thanks Roger, that is very interesting! You learn something new every day around here.

As an aside, I just checked Richard's site, and he can custom-order any Bexley. If I was buying this pen, that's the route I would go. Even great pen brands can leave something to be desired in the QC department, and ordering from someone like Richard will make sure that the pen is perfect the first time.

And I did a bit of a Google myself, and personally I like the looks of the Bexley. I like the way the trim is finished and I like the lines a little better. Personal taste varies, of course.

Either way I suspect you will have a wonderful pen, James.

--The Tick

Too bad you can't buy the orange ebonite Bexley from Richard Binder, that would make it an absolute no-brainer.

Thank you! As for the "too bad" part, if Bexley still has any of these pens available, I can get one for arvadajames.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Hi sonia_simone,

Don't assume that the more expensive Watermans will be better writers than the Phileas--for some weird reason, the low-priced Phileas is the star of their show right now.

I hope you don't mind, but I happen to disagree with you... I think the Liaison, the Carène and the Edson are all better writers than the Philéas. When it comes to value for money, you're probably right, but then you could also consider the Allure. Even better value for money. :D I think in the end it is a matter of budget and taste.

The Watermans definitely have their devotees, but for the most part Bexley has the better reputation for writing well.
Again I'd like to disagree. They write differently. What is better is what you like better. And that is shape, size, nib type, filler type etc., whether you want something different from what you're used to, etc.
Too bad you can't buy the orange ebonite Bexley from Richard Binder, that would make it an absolute no-brainer.

As for looks, I haven't seen either--I'd say Google around, open two windows side by side, and decide based on your own gut.  Both brands make very good-looking pens, IMO.

I agree with that. And another nice ebonite pen, IMO, is the Stipula Novecento Woodgrain Ebonite.

Just making choices even more difficult :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Richard,

Can you get the Bexley? I thought that they were all gone, except what individual stock that dealers had? (but I could be and hope that I am wrong - I would love to try a Bexley that you have ensured that the nib and everything is up to par). What would your price be? You reply off board if you like.

Thanks,

James

Ah, thanks Roger, that is very interesting!  You learn something new every day around here.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I thought the same thing about that trim ring until Denis set me straight. Then, I had to buy one. Good value for the money they sold for as closeouts. Good writer, also.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

James, did you end up making a decision?

--The Tick

I'm not qualified to make a comparison as I do not own a Waterman. For what it's worth, I am completely satisfied with my Bexley pens, of which I have three.

I'll admit that part of my initial attraction was to Bexley as a small, independent, underdog. My subsequent purchases were based upon satisfaction -- make that enthusiasm -- with the product.

I'm still negotiating with Bexley about the 10th. Apparently there are no more HR 10th pens available, but some numbers of the series were never filled, and I'm trying to get Howard to make some more. How patient can you be...?

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Richard,

I am in no hurry. I can be exceptionally patient. I will just wait to hear from you one way or another before I make any more FP purchases. Thanks for your efforts and time. It really is appreciated.

James