Ink that don't feather and bleedthrough

holgalee

I'm looking for safe, well-behaved inks that don't feather and bleedthrough on thin paper. I have the Sailor carbon nano, but I think it's a little risky to put in my favourite fountain pens, or pens that I may leave unused for weeks. Anyway, I don't want black, red or green inks, and am partial to blue, brown and purple. I prefer my inks to look a little saturated (but not too bright) rather than washed out or chalky.

For what it's worth, the paper I have in mind is Maruman Mnemosyne, which tends to suffer from bleedthrough when used with Herbin inks (which I really like, otherwise) and wetter nibs. TIA.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ondina

• redshifteffect

• holgalee

• cocojj

Good blue inks that meet your specification:

Aurora Blue (washable)

Sheaffer Skrip Blue (washable; not very sunlight-resistant or sulfur-resistant)

Pilot/Namiki Blue (strongly resists plain water)

Platinum Blue-Black (which is just medium-dark blue; strongly resists plain water)

Pelikan 4001 Blue (washable; not very sunlight-resistant or sulfur-resistant)

Sailor Jentle Blue (don't mix outside this brand, and flush the pen thoroughly when changing into or out of this brand)

Aurora Black, Pelikan Royal Blue (especially) don't bleed much.

AVOID: Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Waterman BB

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

I'm not familiar with the paper you mentioned, so my suggestions may not be helpful. That said, Parker Quink black, Pelikan 4001 black and brown are all very safe, well-behaved inks that have never feathered or bled through on any of the papers I have used.

-gross

Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

The perfect blue you're looking for is Waterman Florida Blue. Great blue, still the benchmark of any other ink. Works on any pen and paper, washable, great blue color. You can leave it inside pens for months ( all my student pens can give testimony) and just uncap, and it's ready to go.

Sorry, Leftytoo, but Waterman Blue Black is as well behaved as Florida Blue. No smearing, instant drying on any paper, no problem ink. Actually is the ink that most professional pen shops use to test their pens. The BB may turn to tealish one depending on pen/paper combination.

That said, Parker Quink black, Pelikan 4001 black and brown are all very safe, well-behaved inks that have never feathered or bled through on any of the papers I have used.

+1 for Parker Quink Black.

The perfect blue you're looking for is Waterman Florida Blue. Great blue, still the benchmark of any other ink. Works on any pen and paper, washable, great blue color. You can leave it inside pens for months ( all my student pens can give testimony) and just uncap, and it's ready to go.

Sorry, Leftytoo, but Waterman Blue Black is as well behaved as Florida Blue. No smearing, instant drying on any paper, no problem ink. Actually is the ink that most professional pen shops use to test their pens. The BB may turn to tealish one depending on pen/paper combination.

+1 for Waterman Florida Blue. Visconti Blue is also very well behaved.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Thank you for the suggestions. I've had some feathering and bleedthrough with Waterman Florida Blue, Pelikan Royal Blue/Brown/Purple, Pilot/Namiki Blue and Sailor Jentle Blue. I've not tried Sheaffer Skrip Blue extensively though I have a bottle, as I was put off by how pale the ink is! I'll check out the reviews for Waterman Blue Black. My Noodler's Luxury Blue is non feathering and non bleedthrough, but it's hard starting when the pen is left unused for some weeks. :(

Iron Gall

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I'll second Lloyd's recommendation that you try an iron gall ink. Since you don't like black inks, I'll suggest Rohrer & Klingner Salix (a greyish blue). You might also want to try, if you haven't already, using an extra-fine nib; it would probably increase your ink choices on paper susceptible to bleeding and feathering.

Edited by Ada

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

Is hard to imagine what paper gives feathering with WBF, but I agree, try Salix from R&K. Is the driest of the ferrogalic based inks. I suppose that the paper you are talking about is required to use for work reasons, otherhow, change the paper and enjoy any ink you like.

I've found that modern Skrip blue is very good at not feathering, but may bleed through cheap paper.

Visconti Blue is also very well behaved.

Visconti Sepia seems well-behaved, too, although I haven't tried it yet on really cheap paper.

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

For cheap paper, you can't beat Noodler's X-Feather. I own a bottle (college students can't afford great paper), and I haven't had any problems. However, the better the paper is, the slower the ink will dry.

Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum.

Currently writing with:

Twisbi Diamond 530 filled with Iroshizuku Syo-Ro

Charcoal Lamy Safari (F) filled with Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun

Blue Lamy Al-Star (M) filled with Noodler's X-Feather

+1 for Waterman Florida Blue. Visconti Blue is also very well behaved.

Yuki

+1

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Iron Gall

Definitely iron gall; a type of ink that is least likely to feather and bleed through.

If you prefer to stay with dye-based inks, I generally found that blue-black inks (followed by blue inks and then black inks) feather and bleed through less than colours like brown or purple.

This applies to "standard", not overly saturated low maintenance inks.

Highly saturated blue-black, blue or black inks may behave entirely different and some inks like Noodler's Bullet-proof Black were specifically designed to resist feathering and bleed through, while Noodler's Polar Black compares quite badly in this area.

B.

I'm also looking for a blue that doesn't feather. I'm liking the Registrar Blue for BB needs, but is there any alternative for a bright, light to medium pure blue (along the lines of PR Lake Placid/ Diamine Royal Blue)?

Cocojj, unless the paper you have to use is very low quality, and you want to use a bright pure blue, try Waterman Florida Blue and or Waterman South Seas Blue.

• 1 year later...

Cocojj, unless the paper you have to use is very low quality, and you want to use a bright pure blue, try Waterman Florida Blue and or Waterman South Seas Blue.

I have been on a similar search.

It looks like Waterman Florida Blue performs moderately well (but not as well as Noodler's Bulletproof Black).

I have seen a few recommendations of Noodler's Kung te Cheng as an ink that doesn't feather much.

I have the Sailor carbon nano, but I think it's a little risky to put in my favourite fountain pens, or pens that I may leave unused for weeks.

Now YMMV however I can tell you that I left Sailor Nano in a pen locked away subject to extreme temperatures for 1 year that I forgot to flush - and it started right away. There has been no particles that had precipitated out during that time.

So I have no worried about using Sailor nano in any of my pens.