Server Upgrade

Admin

Dearest Members of the Fountain Pen Network,

We will be upgrading the FPN servers tonight - well, early tomorrow morning, around 2 - 5 am EST, 7:00 - 10:00GMT / UTC in order to address the growth we have seen in the FPN over the last months. This upgrade will minimize the unavailability and slowness some have experienced recently. The switch in servers should only take a few minutes, and may not be noticed (but as anyone familiar with IT projects knows, one can never tell what exactly might happen ). hmm1.gif

Lets all say a few positive words to the FP Gods for a little assistance with a smooth switchover. notworthy1.gif

Warm regards,

The FPN Admin Team

This account is unmanaged.
Please direct questions and comments to [email="fpnadmin@gmail.com"]FPN Admin email[/email], or directly to [url="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/user/17-wimg/"]admin Wim (wimg)[/url].

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• sallywally

• View from the Loft

• Admin

Dearest Members of the Fountain Pen Network,

We will be upgrading the FPN servers tonight - well, early tomorrow morning, around 2 - 5 am EST, 7:00 - 10:00GMT / UTC in order to address the growth we have seen in the FPN over the last months. This upgrade will minimize the unavailability and slowness some have experienced recently. The switch in servers should only take a few minutes, and may not be noticed (but as anyone familiar with IT projects knows, one can never tell what exactly might happen ). hmm1.gif

Lets all say a few positive words to the FP Gods for a little assistance with a smooth switchover. notworthy1.gif

Warm regards,

The FPN Admin Team

I thought the Admin Team were the FP Gods. Now I'm going to have to re-do all my prayer wheels. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Will this address the issues I seem to be having where I am constantly being logged out? I will be responding to a post (often times, just seconds after making another post) and get this error:

[#2024] Your secure key, used to verify your identity, did not match the one submitted. Please go back, reload the form, and try again.

When I go back and refresh, I will then be forced to sign in again, and if I haven't copied my post, will have to retype it all over. It makes the whole system quite frustrating. This happens multiple times daily.

Thanks-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Probably not, but one can hope. I have also gotten this one myself (so you do have my sympathy Brian). Whenever I get the message I copy the text just in case, then I go back to the compose screen (it suggests it may lose the original text so I do copy it with a control C. Often the text is preserved, bot when it isn't I paste it in using control V and finish the composition and resend. Doesn't seem to need re-logging in, but there may be differences in your case.

We'll be investigating this more urgently after the server change, which really is needed and has priority, but we should attempt to find out why it's happening. I thought it was just me - so I wasn't saying much.

Regards,

Gerry

Server upgrades seem to be all the rage at the moment. My works IT department too are upgrading several of the email servers and data storage systems this weekend.

So best of luck to you all. :thumbup:

Nigel

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

Wishing you all good luck! Thanks for letting us know.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

:notworthy1: I am currently in the midst of pouring a libation while searing the remains of a recently sacrificed woodland creature so that the incense fuming from the offering will provide pleasant scents for and a satisfactory response from the FP gods. :notworthy1:

-Daniel

"Τὰ πάντα ῥεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει." ~Ἡράκλειτος

"No one should be embarrassed to make the inquiries necessary to learn." ~Anon

I think I'm in the new server already, it works like a charm , well done :thumbup:

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?

Groucho Marx

Yes, we are all on the new server now, and all backups and updates have been run too. The last update did cause a small hiccup, because is was run while the board was online again, but since there was no risk involved, we decided to put the board back online a little sooner smile.gif.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Thank you very much for the smooth transition, Admin Team!

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Agreed, thank you for your hard work. As an IT professional I'm aware of the complexities of projects like DB migrations, web server clustering, etc... I didn't even notice the new news item until today, which also means I didn't notice any problems that would cause me to look for news :-)

On a side note, I too am getting the auth issues others have described and thought I was the only one(cleared caches, used different browsers, etc to no avail) it seems like there may be an error in one of the php scripts that is destroying the session in php(I'm assuming the board uses server-side sessions for user data persistence as opposed to client-side cookies)... Let me know if you need help going through some of the files looking for inconsistencies... you might also try creating another install of the board on a subdomain(or separate server) for dev purposes before bring the changes live... using a fresh install of the board scripts and pointing it at a COPY of the database for the live board, it might tell you if it's in any of the custom code you may have written or in the DB itself...(though a DB inconsistency is unlikely in this instance, I did see that a few pinned topics were subject to some corruption at some point which may indicate some other odd inconsistencies in the DB might be present)

Currently Inked:

Montegrappa Extra 1930 Shiny Lines "Dove" L.E. (05/80) - Montblanc Permanent Grey (90yr Anniversary)

Pineider Arco - Monteverde Scotch Brown

Montblanc Rouge et Noir - Montblanc Bleu Nuit

Montblanc Meisterstuck Ultra Black - Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi

Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age Maxi - J. Herbin Lie de Thé

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.png

Agreed, thank you for your hard work. As an IT professional I'm aware of the complexities of projects like DB migrations, web server clustering, etc... I didn't even notice the new news item until today, which also means I didn't notice any problems that would cause me to look for news :-)

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is much appreciated.

On a side note, I too am getting the auth issues others have described and thought I was the only one(cleared caches, used different browsers, etc to no avail) it seems like there may be an error in one of the php scripts that is destroying the session in php(I'm assuming the board uses server-side sessions for user data persistence as opposed to client-side cookies)...
There actually is: the new internally generated security code that gets passed around with each action is very likely the culprit. There is no stack for these tokens, so if a new, fairly time consuming action is triggered, and you then start another in the mean time, or simultaneously, the system gets confused. However, this does depend on connections and browser used as well, and is probably machine (client) dependent as well: slower machines seem to suffer more from it than faster ones. And yes, it uses server side sessions for data consistency, and data caches. Add to that the dynamic nature of the pages displayed, and it becomes a heady mix, for which tracking of bugs is rather difficult.
Let me know if you need help going through some of the files looking for inconsistencies... you might also try creating another install of the board on a subdomain(or separate server) for dev purposes before bring the changes live... using a fresh install of the board scripts and pointing it at a COPY of the database for the live board, it might tell you if it's in any of the custom code you may have written or in the DB itself...(though a DB inconsistency is unlikely in this instance, I did see that a few pinned topics were subject to some corruption at some point which may indicate some other odd inconsistencies in the DB might be present)

The board did have a fresh install, so that is not the issue. All earlier code has been made to disappear. We don't do any of our own coding so far, all is pretty much standard with a few add-ons which are integrated via the standard hook system put in place by Invision. Those were all tested prior to installing them on the main board.

The pinned topics with corruptions was a problem caused by the sheer size of the topics and included bb-code, and the processing of those by the system. Because of the problems, we had Invision insert a few begin code, end code statements so we could get into those posts again. This is the reason that those pinned topics are now divided into many more messages than the few we had before. They are still too large really, but that is for some later date, as they can now be accessed again.

Thank you very much for your offer, I'll certainly keep your offer in mind! We are working together with a few people in order to try and establish the exact nature of the problem, so that it may be fixed either by Invision, some of the browser manufacturers, or both.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I'm a new member here, after seeing reference to this site on several other forums I frequent. Just a quick note to say my first impressions are very positive, new server or otherwise. Looks like a great place to hang out. Thanks!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Is there a problem with the new content? It seems to create fewer new posts in the last few days and in the middle of today (abut 11:30 am ) suddenly went from 7-8 pages to five....confusing. :embarrassed_smile:

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Is there a problem with the new content? It seems to create fewer new posts in the last few days and in the middle of today (abut 11:30 am ) suddenly went from 7-8 pages to five....confusing. embarrassed_smile.gif

No, I wouldn't think so. There is variation in the number of new posts per days. Furthermore, on Sunday the server caches were all reset, which may have had some influence on this as well.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

OK, thanks!

Sara

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Hi,

Sorry to be a nuisance, but when I got home from the store and logged on (about 9 pm) there were 12 pages of new content, and just now, at 10 pm, there are 3 pages. This sort of thing is a new occurrence, I've often stayed up until 11 pm or later going through 12-14-16-18 pages of new content.

I'm not understanding why this different activity has been happening in the past several days......

Sara

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

Hi Sara,

I'll have a look.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman