• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• mehandiratta

• Inky.Fingers

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

I saw this in today's comics and thought of this FPN thread.

fpn_1348023650__screen_shot_2012-09-18_at_105346_pm.png

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Lots of work to do regarding my handwriting and penmanship. I need to learn to keep my letters ON the line. Floating letters aren't pretty D:

Here goes, anyway...

http://i45.tinypic.com/23rviuq.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/IgMiZ

My handwriting samples to add to this very interesting and great thread.

And as for you, joeccentric, your handwriting looks very neat to my eyes, and I especially like the well formed Z you make, I've found that I am incapable of making a z that doesn't look like a y at any speed beyond the "slower than practical" speed. Do you tilt your paper? I write with my paper at almost diagonal to me, as in, the corners of the paper line up with my stomach in a line, I find it helps me a lot, but I still have to concentrate to keep my letters on the line if I'm writing with an imaginary line (blank paper).

Edited by thang1thang2

http://imgur.com/a/IgMiZ

My handwriting samples to add to this very interesting and great thread.

And as for you, joeccentric, your handwriting looks very neat to my eyes, and I especially like the well formed Z you make, I've found that I am incapable of making a z that doesn't look like a y at any speed beyond the "slower than practical" speed. Do you tilt your paper? I write with my paper at almost diagonal to me, as in, the corners of the paper line up with my stomach in a line, I find it helps me a lot, but I still have to concentrate to keep my letters on the line if I'm writing with an imaginary line (blank paper).

Thank you! :embarrassed_smile: Yes, I do tilt my paper, exactly like you said. It is a bit of a pain on the tiny lecture theatre tables where I do most of my writing, but it helps with my slope and angle of my letters.

Surprisingly, the 'z' had been my biggest problem for the longest of times so I have written 'lazy' at least 100 times over. When I join the 'a' and 'z' in 'lazy' I feel like I am going to write 'ao' but the so-called 'o' in a clockwise stroke and then carry on with the rest of the 'z' ... if that makes sense or helps.

I really like how you write your 'f'. I cannot for the life of me get the top and bottom half to be symmetrical at all so mine is all gross and disproportional. Any tips at all for that letter?

I admire those people who can write so elegantly. Mine is like baby's writing but at least it's legible. A few lines from my French notebook:

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/8112/handwriting.jpg

EDIT: Pelikan M200 with F nib and Diamine Eclipse ink

Edited by Ish.P

I thought there should be a topic where we post pictures of our handwriting and comment, so I decided to start one. This was a writing sample I posted here for someone about a cursive italic Parker 51 nib.

You really nice handwriting, I'm thinking of changing mine because I have terrible cursive (its a mix of multiple sample I found on the internet). By the way I'm about your age and I wish I had your collection of pens. :thumbup:

Here's mine.

I don't normally write in cursive when I'm in school, especially when taking notes -- I know it's supposed to be more convenient, but I feel that my cursive needs work. It could be a hassle especially when you don't feel like composing pretty notes (you know you're just going to rewrite -- or go through a dilemma of "to rewrite? or not to rewrite" anyway.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maljs8POzh1qzeraqo1_500.png

I really wish I could do cursive all the time, though!

I am the girl with the long name, or simply cza

Here's mine.

I don't normally write in cursive when I'm in school, especially when taking notes -- I know it's supposed to be more convenient, but I feel that my cursive needs work. It could be a hassle especially when you don't feel like composing pretty notes (you know you're just going to rewrite -- or go through a dilemma of "to rewrite? or not to rewrite" anyway.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maljs8POzh1qzeraqo1_500.png

I really wish I could do cursive all the time, though!

Your cursive is really pretty! I admire it. You should definitely keep practising so that you can speed up while keeping it neat 'cause it's definitely a lot faster than not writing in cursive when you get used to it.

Surprisingly, the 'z' had been my biggest problem for the longest of times so I have written 'lazy' at least 100 times over. When I join the 'a' and 'z' in 'lazy' I feel like I am going to write 'ao' but the so-called 'o' in a clockwise stroke and then carry on with the rest of the 'z' ... if that makes sense or helps.

I really like how you write your 'f'. I cannot for the life of me get the top and bottom half to be symmetrical at all so mine is all gross and disproportional. Any tips at all for that letter?

I guess I'll have to just work on my 'z's, I did a cop out and instead of writing my Z with a "squiggle" in them, I just wrote it as a rounded out J without a dot on it. It seems to work and it doesn't slow my handwriting down. I will practice my Z's a little more and hopefully master them.

For my F, hmm, let's see. I draw my F in two parts, but fluidly into one, if that makes any sense. I draw the first loop, and then the second one joins where the first one is and then I come out from the center to join to the next letter in it.

http://i.imgur.com/fNvTX.jpg

Does that help any?

I guess I'll have to just work on my 'z's, I did a cop out and instead of writing my Z with a "squiggle" in them, I just wrote it as a rounded out J without a dot on it. It seems to work and it doesn't slow my handwriting down. I will practice my Z's a little more and hopefully master them.

For my F, hmm, let's see. I draw my F in two parts, but fluidly into one, if that makes any sense. I draw the first loop, and then the second one joins where the first one is and then I come out from the center to join to the next letter in it.

http://i.imgur.com/fNvTX.jpg

Does that help any?

That helped a lot, thanks! I'll have to keep practising my 'f' and I'll get there eventually :vbg:

I think your business handwriting is fantastic. Can I ask how long it took you to get to this point? Your Spencerian is also quite beautiful and coming along. I only just recently started and have been going through one step forward, two steps back lately.:wacko:

Improvement needed but here you go, something like this:

Improvement needed but here you go, something like this:

That is such lovely business handwriting, I agree! The Spencerian, too (though I'm guessing a flex nib is required?)

Teach me how you do it. :) Or at least how you learned.

I am the girl with the long name, or simply cza

Glad to see someone actually likes my writing. Truthfully I only started to practice in February this year and was all into the flex fp thing. Then I realized that the ornamental Spencerian I wanted was done with a oblique dip pen so I got a lot of stuff for that instead and started practicing that.

After writing the letters enough times I got the image of the letter in my head really well and know pretty much exactly what angle and length each letters are (the important part is knowing when it's wrong). Dropping the shades to use in business pen is actually quite simple since I knew the letter forms and the arm movements to go with it.

So... go write a benchmark sample, post it up somewhere. Practice for a while (a month or more) and write then the exact same thing and compare. You'll see the difference.

I hope this is helpful in some way to someone.

Here's my everyday hand. As a slight aside, can anyone tell me what model my Waterman is? It was abandoned in a meeting room many years ago, so when it was still unclaimed after numerous emails I adopted it. It leaked like a sieve, and still does on occasion, but I do like writing with it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8034/8006918619_954bc63432.jpg

Anyway, any thoughts, comments on my hand welcomed. Seeing it on screen has made me realise how similar my writing is to my father's.

Is your sample of the business writing done with an oblique dip pen or fountain pen or straight dip pen? I assume the Spencerian with the fine lines had to be a oblique dip pen.

Glad to see someone actually likes my writing. Truthfully I only started to practice in February this year and was all into the flex fp thing. Then I realized that the ornamental Spencerian I wanted was done with a oblique dip pen so I got a lot of stuff for that instead and started practicing that.

After writing the letters enough times I got the image of the letter in my head really well and know pretty much exactly what angle and length each letters are (the important part is knowing when it's wrong). Dropping the shades to use in business pen is actually quite simple since I knew the letter forms and the arm movements to go with it.

So... go write a benchmark sample, post it up somewhere. Practice for a while (a month or more) and write then the exact same thing and compare. You'll see the difference.

I hope this is helpful in some way to someone.

Here's my everyday hand. As a slight aside, can anyone tell me what model my Waterman is? It was abandoned in a meeting room many years ago, so when it was still unclaimed after numerous emails I adopted it. It leaked like a sieve, and still does on occasion, but I do like writing with it.http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8034/8006918619_954bc63432.jpgAnyway, any thoughts, comments on my hand welcomed. Seeing it on screen has made me realise how similar my writing is to my father's.

Nice handwriting - it's neat and legible. It looks like a Waterman Expert.

Nice handwriting - it's neat and legible. It looks like a Waterman Expert.

Thank you! I did have to do quite a lot of work on my hand a few years ago, because people said it looked nice on the page but they couldn't read it! :embarrassed_smile: I would like a little more panache, but more practice first I think.

I shall Google Waterman Expert, thank you for that. I did try finding it via Google images, but kept getting distracted by all the shiny pens...

Is your sample of the business writing done with an oblique dip pen or fountain pen or straight dip pen? I assume the Spencerian with the fine lines had to be a oblique dip pen.

Business = some random parker gel rollerball

Ornamental Spencerian = Oblique dip pen (probably a Spencerian No.5)