vans4444

a stranger in a strange pen land

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 17:56

Jinhao 500

This is just a short review.

Yet another cheap Chinese pen bought on the spur of the moment from eBay.

Posted Image

First Impression

Just what I have grown to expect from Jinhao, a well made heavy pen that is a little on the showy side. It came in a nice little pink cardboard box with a little pink ribbon that my young daughter immediately acquired for her hair clips.

Appearance and Finish

More of a tube than a cigar shape with gloss finish. Most of the barrel has a grey/brown marbled design. The cap is black as is the base of the barrel where the cap is posted. The clip and other fittings are gold coloured.

Posted Image

Design/Size/Weight

Many Chinese pens are much too showy for my simple tastes, but this one is just about acceptable, although I have since discovered a simple black and gold 500 which is more to my liking. Jinhao also make a 500 with a black and white checker board design.

The barrel seems to be made of brass making this a heavy pen, heavier than the Jinhao X750 and X450

The cap takes quite a push to click in place and also quite a push to post the cap, but once posted it is very firm.

The 500 is 138mm capped, 13mm in diameter and 163mm posted, which is almost identical to the Book Worm Filigree I recently reviewed. Capped it is also almost exactly the same size as the much lighter (and better) Lamy Al-Star and the Jinhao X750 and X450 pictured below

As with the Book Worm, posted, the balance of the pen is towards the back, pressing in to the hand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Top to bottom, Jinhao 500, X750, X450

Nib

This is the best part of the pen. It has a buttery smooth two tone steel nib, stamped Jinhao. I read a FPN post that said it also writes well upside down, which is true. It is a great nib for the money.

The seller did not mention the size of the nib. It is not wider than a Lamy 2000 EF but wider than a Sailor EF so perhaps a Chinese F.

The nib is stiff but not quite a nail. Ink flow is perfect

Filling System

The pen is supplied with a cheap converter that looks like it takes about the same amount of ink as a short international cartridge.

Cost/Value

It cost $7.50 including postage from China. This is good value for money compared to pens made in any other country but perhaps a more helpful comparison is against other Chinese pens? I have a number of Jinhao pens and they all cost about the same.

The seller labelled it as a “Special Edition” but I assume this does not really add anything to the pen.

Overall

It is not a bad pen, worth the money but I would have preferred the simple black design.

The Jinhao X750 is my favourite Chinese pen. The nib on the 500 may be a tad smoother than the X750 but I prefer the balance of the X750. The combination of weight and poor balance means the 500 will be tiring for extended periods of writing. Therefore I personally think the X750 offers better value for money.

Edited by vans4444, 12 February 2010 - 15:47.

#2 Bentley

Bentley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 19:37

Thanks for the review. I have one Chines pen (a Ponceau) and its performance is rather poor. However, the Jinhao brand sounds like it might be worth checking out.

#3 shaqin93

shaqin93

Awesome!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 22:39

I don't really know why, but I just don't like mine.

#4 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:09

Nice review, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#5 vans4444

vans4444

• Member - Gold

• 978 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 20:08

I don't really know why, but I just don't like mine.

I know what you mean. It has a nice nib but I found the pen is a little unwieldy. It doesn't really stand out from the rest of the Jinhao crowd. I guess a lighter pen can appeal to a wider audience?

#6 luo

luo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:31

jinhao is a famous brand in china, although its not perfect while the price is really attractive.
hunting for job ==!

#7 vans4444

vans4444

• Member - Gold

• 978 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:33

jinhao is a famous brand in china, although its not perfect while the price is really attractive.

Yes, I think Jinhao is my favourite make of Chinese pen. I have a couple that perform really well and are incredible value for money.

I have started to use the 500 unposted as it feels much better, but unfortunately it is then just a little short.

#8 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:16

As a collector of JINHAO&BAOER {SAME COMPANY} FOUNTAIN PENS I am delighted to once again have the opportunity to praise everything about them, I would say without fear of contradiction that they have the best nibs in the world, they are just so smoooooooth to write with. I now own more than 40 of thesepens and have never had a problem with one of them, they are well made, well priced, come complete with a Convertor for ease of use, and what's more important is as I have said on these pages many times, they are very affordable.I have seen mentioned on a couple of times how users have had issues with the Convertors, as simple trick is to thoroughly wash it out with detergent that should fix the problem.I buy all of mine from gotoschool888 on ebay they have never let me down, the postage is good and they will respond to any problems almost immediately.A most magnificent example of the manufacturing skill of this company is to be found in their latest offering the Abalone Fountain pen which is just to die for.Take my tip these pens will attract a great price from collectors in the years to come. By the way I DONT HAVE ANY AFFILIATION with the company but I love their products.

#9 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,537 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 14:42

Best nibs in the world is maybe stretching the point a little, but all of the Jinhaos I've used have been buttery smooth.
The 500 looks an attractive pen. Thanks for the tip, vans: I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those.

#10 Bronze

Bronze

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 16:01

- Thank you for the review :). I just got my first Jinhao today, the X750 broad nib. It's a great pen for the money.

The broad nib is substantially narrower than my Pelikan M805 medium nib, that was a bit of a surprise, I figured they would be about the same.

Edited by Bronze, 09 March 2010 - 23:57.

#11 Bronze

Bronze

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 23:54

Best nibs in the world is maybe stretching the point a little,

- Yes, maybe a little :D . They are good nibs for $8.50 including shipping, but if you think these are the best nibs in the world you are either joking or you need to try some more pens.

Also I have very little faith that these pens will one day become valuable collectors items. That seems rather absurd to me.

Nice pens though, and well worth the $8.50!

#12 TMac

TMac

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2010 - 00:00

I have recently purchased a couple of Jinhao's on a whim, a X450 and X750.

The reviews here are pretty accurate. The X450 is okay. I have been very surprised by the X750. Very smooth nib, consistent lines, etc. Simple black design, good balance. Sometimes I think that "we" are not supposed to admit we like inexpensive pens, but this one is worth much more than the going price.

Vans, thanks for teh review. I just might need to check out the 500.

#13 Spector

Spector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:44

just curious, where is a good place to by chinese fountain pens?
Posted Image "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -Aldous Huxley

Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F, Hero 616 F, Pilot Varsity F, Pilot 78g F,

#14 Bronze

Bronze

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:38

- Ebay.

#15 sojiromifune

sojiromifune

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 17:51

Newbie here. These Chinese pens sound great! I was wondering about the nib classifications (fine, medium, broad). I know the Japanese nibs tend to run narrower than European and American nibs. Are Chinese the same? In other words, might a Chinese medium be close to, say, a Lamy Safari fine nib?

Thanks!

#16 His Nibs

His Nibs

Dylan rules!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 17:59

Newbie here. These Chinese pens sound great! I was wondering about the nib classifications (fine, medium, broad). I know the Japanese nibs tend to run narrower than European and American nibs. Are Chinese the same? In other words, might a Chinese medium be close to, say, a Lamy Safari fine nib?

Thanks!

In very few cases are there any nib designations with Chinese pens. I describe most Duke, Jinhao, Baoer, etc. nibs as 'light-medium' on my website: My link. Most others are x-fine to fine, with a few western mediums thrown in. :thumbup:
Regards,

Norman Haase
His Nibs.com
www.hisnibs.com
Blog: http://hisnibs.blogspot.com

#17 vans4444

vans4444

• Member - Gold

• 978 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 20:04

just curious, where is a good place to by chinese fountain pens?

I agree with Oneill, gotoschool888 is a very good eBay retailer. I have bought a number of pens from them and they have always been exactly as described and delivered reasonable quickly.

#18 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,537 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 20:41

Yes, they are. Chinese nibs run a lot narrower than you'd expect in my experience. Sort of the opposite of a Lamy.

#19 sojiromifune

sojiromifune

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 22:18

Yes, they are. Chinese nibs run a lot narrower than you'd expect in my experience. Sort of the opposite of a Lamy.

Thanks to you and His Nibs for the information. I appreciate it.

#20 His Nibs

His Nibs

Dylan rules!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 22:51

Thanks to you and His Nibs for the information. I appreciate it.

My pleasure! :thumbup:
Regards,

Norman Haase
His Nibs.com
www.hisnibs.com
Blog: http://hisnibs.blogspot.com

#21 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,537 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:49

You're welcome.

#22 vans4444

vans4444

• Member - Gold

• 978 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 15:35

As a collector of JINHAO&BAOER {SAME COMPANY} FOUNTAIN PENS I am delighted to once again have the opportunity to praise everything about them, I would say without fear of contradiction that they have the best nibs in the world, they are just so smoooooooth to write with. I now own more than 40 of thesepens and have never had a problem with one of them, they are well made, well priced, come complete with a Convertor for ease of use, and what's more important is as I have said on these pages many times, they are very affordable.I have seen mentioned on a couple of times how users have had issues with the Convertors, as simple trick is to thoroughly wash it out with detergent that should fix the problem.I buy all of mine from gotoschool888 on ebay they have never let me down, the postage is good and they will respond to any problems almost immediately.A most magnificent example of the manufacturing skill of this company is to be found in their latest offering the Abalone Fountain pen which is just to die for.Take my tip these pens will attract a great price from collectors in the years to come. By the way I DONT HAVE ANY AFFILIATION with the company but I love their products.

I agree that Jinhao nibs tend to be very smooth, but the are often stiff and I prefer a little more flex. I don't have as many Jinhao pens as you but in my limited experience they tend to be heavy.

It would be good to swap the nib over to another pen, I don't know if this has been successfully done? I thought about trying one of my old Indian ED.

#23 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,762 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2010 - 13:15

Classic! Great review and photography.

#24 susustra

susustra

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 20:39

I am on my third Jinhao pen and love each one. I discovered a post here in this forum and I decided to take a chance on one these pens and boy am I glad that I did. Affordable - especially through ebay, substantial and I have had none of the works for a while then stops issues.

My next purchace will calligraphy pen.

#25 driglaz

driglaz

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 00:20

Jinhao 500

This is just a short review.

Yet another cheap Chinese pen bought on the spur of the moment from eBay.

Posted Image

First Impression

Just what I have grown to expect from Jinhao, a well made heavy pen that is a little on the showy side. It came in a nice little pink cardboard box with a little pink ribbon that my young daughter immediately acquired for her hair clips.

Appearance and Finish

More of a tube than a cigar shape with gloss finish. Most of the barrel has a grey/brown marbled design. The cap is black as is the base of the barrel where the cap is posted. The clip and other fittings are gold coloured.

Posted Image

Design/Size/Weight

Many Chinese pens are much too showy for my simple tastes, but this one is just about acceptable, although I have since discovered a simple black and gold 500 which is more to my liking. Jinhao also make a 500 with a black and white checker board design.

The barrel seems to be made of brass making this a heavy pen, heavier than the Jinhao X750 and X450

The cap takes quite a push to click in place and also quite a push to post the cap, but once posted it is very firm.

The 500 is 138mm capped, 13mm in diameter and 163mm posted, which is almost identical to the Book Worm Filigree I recently reviewed. Capped it is also almost exactly the same size as the much lighter (and better) Lamy Al-Star and the Jinhao X750 and X450 pictured below

As with the Book Worm, posted, the balance of the pen is towards the back, pressing in to the hand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Top to bottom, Jinhao 500, X750, X450

Nib

This is the best part of the pen. It has a buttery smooth two tone steel nib, stamped Jinhao. I read a FPN post that said it also writes well upside down, which is true. It is a great nib for the money.

The seller did not mention the size of the nib. It is not wider than a Lamy 2000 EF but wider than a Sailor EF so perhaps a Chinese F.

The nib is stiff but not quite a nail. Ink flow is perfect

Filling System

The pen is supplied with a cheap converter that looks like it takes about the same amount of ink as a short international cartridge.

Cost/Value

It cost $7.50 including postage from China. This is good value for money compared to pens made in any other country but perhaps a more helpful comparison is against other Chinese pens? I have a number of Jinhao pens and they all cost about the same.

The seller labelled it as a “Special Edition” but I assume this does not really add anything to the pen.

Overall

It is not a bad pen, worth the money but I would have preferred the simple black design.

The Jinhao X750 is my favourite Chinese pen. The nib on the 500 may be a tad smoother than the X750 but I prefer the balance of the X750. The combination of weight and poor balance means the 500 will be tiring for extended periods of writing. Therefore I personally think the X750 offers better value for money.

The Jinhao seem to be a good quality Pen, reminds me of America in the 1900's how some of these Chinese Pen companies are producing new pens...

#26 HappyCat

HappyCat

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2011 - 22:04

I just bought a Jnhao 216 from ebay, anyone got one of those? It hasn't arrived yet but I'll post a review when I test it out :)
I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.

=^..^=
HappyCat~ <3

#27 saketb

saketb

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:15

Well written review. Thanks for showing the pictures.
Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red
Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade
Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red
Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green
TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple
Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

#28 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:07

Jinhao 500

+1 on the x750! Dollar for dollar, my best pen.
It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

#29 dbranam

dbranam

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 14:13

Thanks for the review. I 'accidentally' purchased one on eBay. My first eBay purchase ever, and I was fumbling around. I haven't even inked it yet; at $0.98 for pen, plus shipping, I have had low expectations, and have not gotten around to trying it out.

You review however puts things in a whole new light for me, and I'll be getting out the ink this evening :-)

Thanks!

#30 notimetoulouse

notimetoulouse

Mint

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2012 - 00:27

Thanks so much for this in depth info...I went straight over to ebdotcom to find that gotoschool888 now has no stock whatsoever in his shop and no feedback left since June 8th. Shame really.

Safe Never Starts - Perfect Never Finishes