My first pen - Cross Apogee. And I'm having problems

glorfindel

I'm sorry if this post doesn't belong to this forum, maybe to Cross-specific, by it's my first post

on this site, so bear with me...

Well, for a long time now I wanted to get a fountain pen and recently I got my wish on my Birthday.

I went to a local FP dealer, tried a few pens and absolutely fell in love with a Cross Apogee.

I used FPs all the time when I was a kid, but haven't used one in the last 15-20 years.

What struck me with this pen was its smoothness, heaviness and overall balance.

So I bought it. And it was great!

... For about a page or two. After about one page it started skipping for no good reason. I checked

the converter, it still was about half-full. So I refilled it. It helped... for another two pages.

It got so bad that it would skip several full words before starting to write. It was especially bad

with digits.

So next day I took it back to the dealer. The dealer told me that it was a filling problem - I did

not fill the converter correctly. Apparently, after bleeding the pen with 2-3 drops (which I did)

I forgot to turn it upside and move the piston back. So I let him refill the pen. Come home.

Sure enough, it works for a page and a half and starts skipping again...

I brought the pen back to the dealer one more time. He took a quick look at it and said that I damaged

the nib... :-O And that's why it wasn't working anymore. He said that the tines were "split" and you

could see light through them when looking at a lamp. He showed it to me and yes, even though

the actual tip was still "together", about 2 mm from the tip the tines were not touching each

other and there was a gap big enough to see light through it. At this point I was totally at

a loss as to what to say since I am a novice and could potentially do something to damage the

nib, like pressing too hard while writing. However, as far as I remember from my younger years,

it required a considerable effort to really bend the tines to the point of damaging them.

Plus I thought I was really careful with this pen not to push it into the paper and just glided it.

After very unpleasant 10 minutes, the dealer told me that he'll try to send it to Cross to

get a free nib replacement. We also decided to change the point from medium to fine.

I was relieved on hearing that and didn't press too hard on the fact that I was experiencing

this problem even before I "damaged" the nib - the first time I took the pen back he inspected

the nib and said it was perfect.

Now I'm worried that even after nib replacement, the pen will continue to skip. My worries

are fueled after I found that at least one other person on this forum had similar issues

with Apogee and had to replace his for a new pen. I'm hoping that with a new nib it will

just work, but my reason tells me that it's probably not the case.

Is this a common issue? Is it something expected? Did I really break the nib or am I being had

by the dealer?

Thanks a lot,

Andy.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glorfindel

• StephY

• Tiel

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally can't imagine you did anything to the nib just by writing with it. Sounds like someone may be trying to take advantage of your neophyte status with fountain pens. I had an Apogee and traded it.

You can get some fountain pens that write consistently well for a little bit of nothing like Platinum Preppy, etc. I can say I'll never spend big bucks again for a fp.

Michael

I'm sorry if this post doesn't belong to this forum, maybe to Cross-specific, by it's my first post

Well, for a long time now I wanted to get a fountain pen and recently I got my wish on my Birthday.

I went to a local FP dealer, tried a few pens and absolutely fell in love with a Cross Apogee.

I used FPs all the time when I was a kid, but haven't used one in the last 15-20 years.

... For about a page or two. After about one page it started skipping for no good reason. I checked

the converter, it still was about half-full. So I refilled it. It helped... for another two pages.

It got so bad that it would skip several full words before starting to write. It was especially bad

with digits.

So next day I took it back to the dealer. The dealer told me that it was a filling problem - I did

not fill the converter correctly. Apparently, after bleeding the pen with 2-3 drops (which I did)

I forgot to turn it upside and move the piston back. So I let him refill the pen. Come home.

I brought the pen back to the dealer one more time. He took a quick look at it and said that I damaged

the nib... :-O And that's why it wasn't working anymore. He said that the tines were "split" and you

could see light through them when looking at a lamp. He showed it to me and yes, even though

the actual tip was still "together", about 2 mm from the tip the tines were not touching each

other and there was a gap big enough to see light through it. At this point I was totally at

a loss as to what to say since I am a novice and could potentially do something to damage the

nib, like pressing too hard while writing. However, as far as I remember from my younger years,

it required a considerable effort to really bend the tines to the point of damaging them.

Plus I thought I was really careful with this pen not to push it into the paper and just glided it.

After very unpleasant 10 minutes, the dealer told me that he'll try to send it to Cross to

get a free nib replacement. We also decided to change the point from medium to fine.

I was relieved on hearing that and didn't press too hard on the fact that I was experiencing

this problem even before I "damaged" the nib - the first time I took the pen back he inspected

Now I'm worried that even after nib replacement, the pen will continue to skip. My worries

are fueled after I found that at least one other person on this forum had similar issues

with Apogee and had to replace his for a new pen. I'm hoping that with a new nib it will

Is this a common issue? Is it something expected? Did I really break the nib or am I being had

by the dealer?

Thanks a lot,

Andy.

Welcome to FPN, Andy.

In my own experience, it's not a common issue, and it should not be expected. I've had a couple of Cross pens, including an Apogee which I never had an issue with. As with everything else, however, mishaps do happen. I'm sorry it happened to you on your first pen. I too, doubt that you did anything to the nib. This sounds more like a manufacturing issue.

I've had good experience with Cross Repair services (a Townsend that developed a leak). Your Apogee should come back to you right as rain.

Don't let this experience drive you off!

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

Sorry to hear this experience. I think the dealer is trying it on.

14 months ago my wife bought me a cross pen (new century II) and it ignited a passion that had lain dormant for ages. I am now 500 pounds lighter! In all that time I have only had one 'bad' nib(A Pelikan), and I regret that as I was new to the pleasure I didn't spot it for what it was and return the pen.

It is almost certainly nothing you have done. Don't let this put you off. I also have a cross ATX which I also love--really nice wet writers.

Have you discovered the joys of the various inks yet? My faves are probably Private Reserve. I treated myself to one Caran D'Ache which is also very nice!

Have you discovered the joys of the various inks yet? My faves are probably Private Reserve. I treated myself to one Caran D'Ache which is also very nice!

Well not yet, as I'm waiting for the pen back from the repair... :-(

The ink that the dealer recommended was Aurora black, which I seem to like, although it feels a little "thick"-ish

Andy.

• 5 years later...

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but the pen is fantastic now!

Now, after knowing a thing or two about FPs, what I think happened was a clogged feed. The dealer was using this pen before (he told me that himself) to show to customers and I think he did not clean it thoroughly after use. I soaked the pen in a glass of water for a day and then cleaned it out. And after that... well, it became just amazing! And even after 5 years and a dozen more pens, it is still my favorite! The feel of the nib is just exquisite. It never skips and the overall balance is just great.

The only thing that is annoying is that about a year and a half ago the cap stopped being postable. It just wouldn't stay securely posted and would twist and wiggle while writing. Since I really like to write posted, it is quite annoying (any tips to fix that?). Other than that - it's a great writer.

Thanks,

Andy.

Cross pens come with a perpetual warranty that "unquestionably" covers any mechanical issues. I would recommend contacting cross. They should be able to fix it, or replace the cap.

That being said sounds like the lining in the cap has come loose. The pen cap is held on by friction of the liner and the barrel of pen. You could try to re-adhere said liner to the inside of the pen cap with a thin adhesive. Just keep in mind that attempts to re-adhere the liner would most likely void the warranty.

Edited by darkangel119

Even with a brand new, never inked pen, I 'flush' the nib section through, as I have no idea what is in it. Could be completely clean, but fountain pens start to write as designed after several ink fills and 'flushes', in my opinion.

Regarding the nib, there has to be a gap between the two halves of the nib, or the ink will not flow. The gap is a 'thou' of an inch or two only, so with a dry nib it will be possible to see light through, but you might need to use a magnifier/loupe, I would.

It's worth trying a few different inks brands to find out what suits your pen, some are slightly 'wetter' and some 'drier', also much depends on the paper you use.

You might think that standard A4 photocopier paper would be fine, but it does tend to 'feather' the ink, and give wider lines to your writing, whereas writing on Rhodia/Clairfontaine 80g paper is a fairer test. You won't usually find Rhodia in Supermarkets, for instance, but in the UK they always seem to stock Oxford brands papers and notebooks, can also be under the name 'Black n' Red'. The higher quality printer papers ( around 90g ) can be a good buy too.

Fountain pens do benefit from a 'flush' through every month or so, just cool water with one drop of detergent mixed in. Dry the pen out on a folded up paper towel, and shake out any water where the cartridge or converter fits.

I have found several reliable inks that will work well in my pens, Waterman, Parker Quink black, and Cross, but there are thousands to try, most are not stocked by pen dealers or stationers though.

with digits.

by the dealer?

Thanks a lot,

Andy.

Cross nibs can be hard starting till they are broken in after writing for a bit. Also wetter inks perform better in CROSS fp's. Just from personal experience.