Updates to the Marketplace guidelines and restrictions

Admin

Dear FPN members,

Due to the rather significant growth of activity in the FPN marketplace sub forums, a revision to the guidelines was required. Please read this carefully before continuing participation in the marketplace. The guidelines are pinned in the main Marketplace landing page, as well as in the For Sale sub forum.

Some highlights:

• Revision on the number of concurrent postings and bumps
  • Clarification on posting details required
  • Addition of PayPal payment rules, stipulated by the PayPal corporation

Thank you for your attention!

Sincerely,

Edited by MYU

This account is unmanaged.
Please direct questions and comments to [email="fpnadmin@gmail.com"]FPN Admin email[/email], or directly to [url="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/user/17-wimg/"]admin Wim (wimg)[/url].

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• MYU

• QM2

• PinarelloOnly

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has been left open, so I assume feedback and questions are okay here

I have a question about the PayPal clause (4.a in the guidelines), which states that you cannot ask for paypal fees on top of the price. Does this refer only to the general fees, or also to the substantial fees when the buyer chooses to use a credit card?

There is a huge profit difference for the seller depending on whether the buyer pays with regular paypal or credit card paypal. If the guidelines state that the price must already include any fees, I will have no choice but to factor in the larger credit card fee in order to protect myself financially - which will be unfair to those not paying with credit card and will make the price of the item seem too high.

For example, if I sell a pen for $500 and the person pays with a credit card, I will receive only $425, which would be an unacceptable loss for me. To avoid this, I would need to bump the price of the pen up to $575, which will seem like an unfairly high price for that particular pen to the buyer.

Is it permitted to simply state "cash paypal only" and not to accept credit card sales? I do not see any other way out of this that is not damaging to the seller.

• [*]Revision on the number of concurrent postings and bumps

Is the 7 day rule applicable to older running sale threads too or for the new threads only?

Thanks!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The types of PayPal accepted are up to the seller, but they should state it. That's in the rules now. If a seller makes a mistake by omitting this and a buyer makes a credit card payment, that's something the seller and buyer need to work out. So, if a seller is assuming payment will be by PayPal credit card, the price should be stated accordingly. There is of course nothing to stop the seller from offering a 'discount' on other buying methods.

As far as the 7 day rule goes, this is with regard to "bump" posts as stated. There are plenty of "long term" sale threads where sellers are interacting with other members or adding a status. The whole point is for sellers to not keep making posts solely intended to push their sale topics back to the top. Beyond a week, if there are no buyers/takers, the seller should discontinue bumping. They are free to post another sale topic, however.

Regards,

~MYU

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I have a question about the first clause in the guidelines.

Accordingly, a member must have at least 30 posts and be registered for 30 days before they can post sales in the Marketplace. This restriction will not be grandfathered.

Why was the number 30 chosen for the requirement? It seems like a rather low number of posts (I was thinking of something of a number between 99 and 101).

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

Thank you for the updated guidelines and clarifications. It's an improvement, I think.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

Thank you for the updated guidelines and clarifications. It's an improvement, I think.

Ditto for me. Thank you Admins for all the time and effort you put in for making the forum run more smoothly.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

For example, if I sell a pen for $500 and the person pays with a credit card, I will receive only $425

I had no idea that Paypal takes 15% from credit card payments. That's pretty incredible.

Steve

MYU thanks for the clarification. And I 100% agree that the new guidelines are an improvement.

SJS - Yes, Paypal takes 15% from credit card payments. For someone who is not a business but just trying to sell their own pen, that loss can be pretty substantial.

MYU thanks for the clarification. And I 100% agree that the new guidelines are an improvement.

SJS - Yes, Paypal takes 15% from credit card payments. For someone who is not a business but just trying to sell their own pen, that loss can be pretty substantial.

Really? 15%? Is that if you live outside the US? I've never had them take 15%. It's usually just under 4%.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

This is the fees for domestic transactions as listed on PayPal.com: 1.9% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD. I think they also charge a small percentage fee for currency conversion.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

another suggestion: it would help a lot if the seller would state where they reside / from where they ship. it's also better to know that 2 o'clock in the morning when answering PMs...

regards

christian

Really? 15%? Is that if you live outside the US? I've never had them take 15%. It's usually just under 4%.

I don't know what to tell you. I have been charged 15% for domestic credit card transactions. Not every time, but some of the time. I think it might depend on the type of credit card used, and possibly other factors. But it has happened to me several times, neither of which times the buyer warned me that they were going to pay in any sort of unusual method other than using a credit card. I find the PayPal system mysterious.

I don't know what to tell you. I have been charged 15% for domestic credit card transactions. Not every time, but some of the time. I think it might depend on the type of credit card used, and possibly other factors. But it has happened to me several times, neither of which times the buyer warned me that they were going to pay in any sort of unusual method other than using a credit card. I find the PayPal system mysterious.

How very strange! I was also a little puzzled when you spoke about 15% fees. Have you contacted PayPal because of this? I have used PayPal rather frequently the past year and accepted credit card payments and never been charged more than the usual. Since I live in a small country all currency exchange/cross border exchange charges are applied and I still pay tops 5% fees. I actually think you should consider contacting them to find out why you have been charged such fees. Best/dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Wonderful new rules. Thanks you very much! In particular thank you for enforcing the PayPal rules.

On that subject, if we see a post where someone is charging the buyer for the Paypal fees should we report it?

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Is the picture rule #3 really necessary, and who was consulted in coming up with that one? Is that recent or did mods suddenly decide to enforce it? Sellers know that pictures sell better. Buyers know what pens look like and whether to trust a seller and description. I'm old-fashioned and I use film and don't have any digital camera worth using that can take any picture better than others can find by Google.

Is the picture rule #3 really necessary, and who was consulted in coming up with that one? Is that recent or did mods suddenly decide to enforce it? Sellers know that pictures sell better. Buyers know what pens look like and whether to trust a seller and description. I'm old-fashioned and I use film and don't have any digital camera worth using that can take any picture better than others can find by Google.

While the picture stipulation was around prior to this set of rules, I also find it unfortunate. While I am not restricted to film only, the best I can do is take a photo with my phone. Of course, this will not show the detail such a picture is intended to convey in a sales listing. I have read some discussions in which the quality of a seller is equated with the quality of photos posted.

This regulation has effectively prevented me from selling/trading pens on FPN where I have concluded several satisfactory transactions the past few years.

Thanks for the good questions, folks.

The rules do state that a seller should indicate country of origin. Where they ship to is up to them. If they choose not to state it and have to deal with clarifications from buyers, that's their choice. Any rational buyer will ask a seller that is outside their own country if they will ship to them.

So yes, about PayPal fees, it is not appropriate for someone to say a pen is $XXX and that the buyer must add 4% on top of that if paying by PayPal. If you see it, please report it.

Regarding the minimum 30 days and 30 posts, we are working to put this into effect via a website function. We instituted 30 posts by the majority vote. If it turns out that it's not enough to keep "sell only" type members from joining, we'll raise the minimums as needed. The main issue has been keeping the volume under control. The marketplace is now the most active part of FPN, which was NOT the original intention. :rolleyes: It seems we're getting a lot of overflow from "that auction site" where fees are rather high.

As for images, we've had this as a requirement for quite some time -- it's not new. We've just made a clarification on what we expect for image sizing. If you have a film camera only, then take your pictures, get them developed, and then scan them in for the electronic image equivalent. The whole reason for providing images is for protection of the seller... that the buyer can't make any claims about the pen being the "wrong one" or having any glaring discrepancies from what was described. You can take fairly decent photos with many cellphones today. Of course, some phone cameras will be sub par, for certain... but then, it's all a matter of whether the seller feels they can get the price they want based on what is shown. The better the photos, the greater the chance of a buyer willing to pay the asking price. If you don't have a digital camera and plan on selling pens on FPN from time to time, consider buying an inexpensive digital camera. Many can be had these days for very little money.

Thank you for all of the positive feedback. We're glad to see that most people appreciate our updated guidelines. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

To add to MYU's comment: in principle you only need a 2MP camera of reasonably decent quality, with a reasonable lens to take a good picture of a pen.

It shouldn't set you back too much , IOW.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever