jorgerp1

http://fountainpenpencollector.blogspot.com.es/

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 19:50

Posted Image

The ink is darker on the paper than on the scan :bunny01:

Edited by jorgerp1, 16 January 2010 - 20:05.

#2 psfred

psfred

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:29

I tried this ink again, and even bought a new bottle (the old one is at least 20 years old) and still don't much care for it. Too light, too cranky (flow problems in my Parker 61 and the "51" I tried it in), and not good on my crappy notebook at work.

Many people like it, but I've never really gotten to. For what it's worth, the new formulation is darker. Still not really black, at least for me.

Peter

#3 jorgerp1

jorgerp1

• Member - Gold

• 1,242 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:13

I tried this ink again, and even bought a new bottle (the old one is at least 20 years old) and still don't much care for it. Too light, too cranky (flow problems in my Parker 61 and the "51" I tried it in), and not good on my crappy notebook at work.

Many people like it, but I've never really gotten to. For what it's worth, the new formulation is darker. Still not really black, at least for me.

Peter

I haven´t any problem with this ink in my 51´s... it´s very safety IMO.

#4 gross

gross

Success Nourishes Hope

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:26

This is one of my favorite inks, if not my very favorite ink. I have never had any problems with it. It is always a very well behaved ink for me. I agree that it is a good, dark black ink that makes a great daily user.

Thank you for your review.
-gross

Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

#5 Mr Ink

Mr Ink

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 889 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:48

I admit that Parker Quink Black is not the blackest of blacks, but it is one of the best behaved inks I have used. It flows very well in most (though not all) of my pens, and it is very easily available in my country (unlike most other inks). It's the black ink that I use most of all.

#6 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:37

Nice review. thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#7 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:51

Incidentally, black Quink is the only bottled fountain pen ink I've ever bought locally in my little town. Years ago I found a bottle of black Quink (with Solv-X!) on the shelf at one of the office supply stores here. More recently I went back to the same store and asked about fountain pen ink, but the clerk said he doesn't think anybody makes that stuff anymore!

I went to the other store, which doubles as the newspaper office, and asked them. . . They weren't sure if fountain pen ink was still made either (!) but said they would try to get me some. It took more than a week, but they finally came up with a couple bottles of black Quink (no Solv-X dangit).

#8 jorgerp1

jorgerp1

• Member - Gold

• 1,242 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 19:44

This review was done with the new recipe.

#9 Sagar_C

Sagar_C

Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primates Hominidae Homo S. Sapiens

• Member - Gold

• 1,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2010 - 22:29

Bought it as a gift for my brother; he hated it and I loved it. Now I want him to gift it back to me.:P

#10 corniche

corniche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,065 posts
  • Location:No one will tell me & I've never been good at geography
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2010 - 00:55

Greetings Jorgerp1,

Lately I have been getting to be a big fan of Parker's Quink- I had always been big on Waterman inks, (I still am). However, the flow and lubrication qualities on Quink are fantastic. I just don't care for their black because it is a little washed out, but that's okay, I'm not a big fan of black anyway. I do love Quink blue-black and Quink Permanent Blue, (the latter has to be purchased from Europe though- for some reason, it isn't available in the U.S. anymore).

Thanks for the review,

Sean :)

Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution to all problems.  Catholicism is the Truth and everything that departs from it, one iota, is disorder, deception and error. - Juan D. Cortés

Catholics Come Home.org

#11 Sagar_C

Sagar_C

Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primates Hominidae Homo S. Sapiens

• Member - Gold

• 1,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:45

Also, the price is hard to beat: in India, one can buy a 30ml bottle for a dollar!

#12 Weiss.ar

Weiss.ar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 19:50

I just bought a bottle of Parker Quink black ink and it really seems to be flowing heavily from my nib (Pelikan M200 old style pre 1997) M. Is this just how the pen writes or is this a problem? I'm brand new to fountain pens and the ink i had in the pen yesterday (before kind members of this forum told me to immediately remove it) was a higgins non water proof black ink (for calligraphy pens) which actually wrote quite well (but apparently does damage to the nib).

Is this a problem or is this just how a fountain pen should write? it seems that it's just very think and that if i don't write very quickly, the ink will bleed onto the paper.

Thanks for your help.

Cheerks.

#13 Parker Quink Turquoise

Parker Quink Turquoise

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 20:25

Parker Quink Black is now the only black ink I use.Never any problems with it.

#14 Inkwisitor

Inkwisitor

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:31

If I ever have any doubts about the performance of a particular pen or ink, I always flush it and load it with either Parker Quink Black or Blue Black because of it's reliability and good flow. Thus it is, literally, the ink by which I judge all others. Which is not to say that there are not other inks that I prefer, just that, having served me well for the best part of 50 years, I know them to be utterly trustworthy.
"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

#15 View from the Loft

View from the Loft

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 965 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:34

I just bought a bottle of Parker Quink black ink and it really seems to be flowing heavily from my nib (Pelikan M200 old style pre 1997) M. Is this just how the pen writes or is this a problem? I'm brand new to fountain pens and the ink i had in the pen yesterday (before kind members of this forum told me to immediately remove it) was a higgins non water proof black ink (for calligraphy pens) which actually wrote quite well (but apparently does damage to the nib).Is this a problem or is this just how a fountain pen should write? it seems that it's just very think and that if i don't write very quickly, the ink will bleed onto the paper.Thanks for your help.Cheerks.

Quink is a free flowing ink, and is possibly just too wet for your Pelikan. I suggest that you order some ink samples from e.g. Goulet Pens, and find what works well. It sounds like you need a dryer ink, so try the Pelikan 4001 series.

#16 kakkumei

kakkumei

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 13:47

Quink Black was the ink my dad bought me when I asked him for a dip pen. And it's the only fountain pen ink I know before I found this forum. I had 2 bottles of ink, but I left the newer one in college, too lazy to pack it, since the ink that my dad bought me years ago is still unused.

#17 camjr

camjr

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2012 - 13:55

I received a bottle of Quink black with the Parker Urban kit I purchased a while back (pen, bottle of Quink black, 2 black cartridges, 2 blue cartridges, and a converter). I stared the pen off with a cartridge, but them moved to the converter and bottle. The ink flows well in the pen, it's smooth, and is quick drying. It doesn't feather on the legal pads I use at the office. Nice fuel for the daily driver.

Cheers.

Edited by camjr, 03 April 2012 - 17:44.

#18 lhl_henrylui

lhl_henrylui

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2012 - 15:36

Well, my impression of Quink isn't very postive because it has bleed-through and feathering on the papers I've used, and red and blue shades begin to emerge around the lines and letters written by it. Perhaps it is because I'm a student and the papers I use are pretty cheap.

But surely, Quink is one of the darkest ink. Its incomparable price makes it a good choice. :thumbup:

#19 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 954 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 15:46

I admit that Parker Quink Black is not the blackest of blacks, but it is one of the best behaved inks I have used. It flows very well in most (though not all) of my pens, and it is very easily available in my country (unlike most other inks). It's the black ink that I use most of all.

Same here: not the blackest black but quite well-behaved and reliable - in addition to being widely available. I've had my troubles with various Quink inks but black has always been the exception.

#20 jorgerp1

jorgerp1

• Member - Gold

• 1,242 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 20:55

i have tried many many inks and Parker black and washable blue are always on my rotation (with the Pelikan blue black :notworthy1: )

#21 Mike Schutz

Mike Schutz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 23:45

I used Parker Quink before Penman was introduced and when it was discontinued I went back to Quink. I've always been a Parker fan. It's an OK, reliable ink but not spectacular. I always have a pen loaded with Quink black but I've found a number of Noodlers inks that are blacker and perform better.

Edited by Mike Schutz, 04 April 2012 - 23:46.

Life is for the Birds

#22 mucephei

mucephei

Pilot Pen Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:27

Parker Quink Black with Solv-X, made in Newhaven, was my regular ink at school. I still have some school work from 1986 written with it. I remember it being darker than this, however, so I suppose its formulation has been changed many times over the years. Thanks for the review.
The pen and pencil blog nobody's talking about: http://stationerytraffic.blogspot.com

#23 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,576 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:10

used one bottle many years ago, one of the worst black inks I have ever had.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#24 Limerickoshea

Limerickoshea

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 17:06

I received a bottle of Quink black with the Parker Urban kit I purchased a while back (pen, bottle of Quink black, 2 black cartridges, 2 blue cartridges, and a converter). I stared the pen off with a cartridge, but them moved to the converter and bottle. The ink flows well in the pen, it's smooth, and is quick drying. It doesn't feather on the legal pads I use at the office. Nice fuel for the daily driver.

Cheers.

canjr:

I bought the same Parker package at Christmas and I agree. The Quink flows beautifully in the Urban, although I wish it were a fine point, and has turned out to be an excellent every day ink. And this from some one not enamoured by blak inks in general!

#25 JamesTheBard

JamesTheBard

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2012 - 19:59

I have a bottle of this sitting next to a bottle of Noodler's Black and it (the Quink) doesn't see much use. It's not a bad ink and relatively well behaved, but I just don't use it. It's not that it's a bad black ink, it really isn't. I believe there are better blacks.

YMMV, of course.

And, as always, appreciate the review!
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." --Terry Pratchett
Posted Image